Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by blaster11, Sep 29, 2012.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I took a walk down the hallway and back on the crutches and it was better than expected....felt a little weird but not in a bad way.
  2. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see this. I am always caught between whether I wear my sides or my alpinestars... I am glad you're recovering well though!
  3. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I hope you have fun on your travels!!
  4. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    I will stay off the single track just for you! I have to say I worked with an orthopedic surgeon for a year and this is one of the most unique injuries I have seen. How long till you're completely weight bearing?
  5. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Probably just about the time I go in to have the screws removed, so the week before Christmas. I will most likely be back in shoes early to mid January.
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Since you are a geeky ortho in training, it's actually got quite a colorful history.

Lisfranc was a French calvery surgeon during the 1800s. The injury frequently occured during when calvery solider was shot, and subsequently fell from his steed. More often, his foot was entangled in the stirrup causing the same injury. At that time, the injury would gangrene, causing the loss of most of the leg. Lisfranc realised the severity of the injury (and the vascular compromise) and amputated earlier (and at that point of the foot).

BTW, of all the photos I found of the Lisfranc injuries on the interwebs, I think this one might be the most severe. Most of the photos I saw they had to use arrows and circles to show you the fault....:rofl
  7. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is definitely a total metatarsal displacement. Go big or go home! You should get him a chair with wheels (perhaps a wheel chair) and point him towards the garage. I am sure he can accomplish some maintenance etc... :evil
  8. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

[​IMG]
  9. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    :poserAwesome! I kind of wish I had the time to do that, I am getting a lot done on mine but it is fragmented
  10. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Well, I am mobile enough again that I can at least get to the garage a get a few things done now. I can now put some weight on my foot which makes running crutches manageable at least. So I am getting caught up on some of the basic tasks as well as some which are a bit tougher. Not really ready to do oil changes or valve adjustments yet but fixing my muffler and installing pannier racks is at least doable...but a bit slower than before. The biggest bitch is when you don't know what tools you will need or forget to bring all of them. Back to see the Doc man on Wednesday, hopefully everything is on track.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get that thing functional and head for Key West. Before you go make sure you can stand a lot of walking though.
  12. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Well I went in to see the Doc tonight and got some GREAT news, I can drive again!!!!!! :clap I have to take off my Frankenstein shoe for a stiff sole shoe, probably my hiking boot but at least I am getting some FREEDOM back! It frickin sucks to not be able to do stuff you want to do when you want to do it and have to coordinate pickup and drop offs to make them fit within everyone's schedule and life. But with that said I really appreciate all the help and support everyone has provided especially Dorito, I can't say enough about how she has put so much of her stuff on hold to support me! THANKS!

So for now I will have to be happy with a pickle because the Doc man won't let me ride my motorcicle. :D
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g266Uwp6ZnI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I have some more information I will post later.
  13. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  14. blaster11

Oddometer:
    So just so I set the stage...I am 8 weeks post op. I went in yesterday with a pretty long list of questions, here they are and what he told me.

1. How long before the blood stops pooling in my foot? 6 Months
    2. How long will the swelling continue? 6 Months
    3. Should I be doing anything to control the swelling? Rest and Elevation
    4. My toes seem stiff and unresponsive, will they stay that way until the screws are removed or do I just need to work/exercise them? Just work the toes and stretch them. (lots of nerve damage)
    5. Are there any exercises I can do safely to strengthen my foot and calves or do I need to just rest?
    NO, just rest it
    6. What type of exercises can I do to support a good recovery? Use a towel or elastic band and work your ankle left to right.
    7. Can I ride a stationary bike? Yes
    a. If so what type of shoe can I wear? Sneaker, something with a stiffer sole
    b. If so can I use resistance? No
    8. Will I be under anesthesia for the screw removal? Yes, local plus sedation
    9. How much pain should I expect after the screws are removed? 5 on a 10 scale
    10. How much of a setback will screw removal be to walking? About a week
    11. Will I need to back down on the weight and work my way back up again? Yes, but should only take a week to get back up to where I was.
    12. Will I be able to wear the same size shoes? Yes, eventually but may take several months.
    13. When will I be able to drive again? You can drive now with a stiff soled shoe.
    14. When will I be able to ride a motorcycle? 2 to 3 years (I am pretty sure that's standard with Doctors and motorcycles)

I hope this helps others understand what they may be up against. Driving again is GREAT!! Now I just need to work towards riding the motorcycle again.....hopefully January. :clap
  15. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    2 TO 3 YEARS.

You don't listen well.

Stuborn German.
  16. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:

Hah! VERY FUNNY!:rofl
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Misses got the keyboard for a bit. :lol3

So I go to put on my hiking boot today and I have to use all the slack I can in the laces and tongue to get my foot in....it's just a bit bigger right now! If it swells much throughout the day it could be interesting.
  18. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Today is the first time I ever went in FacePlant and I discover 3 people I know in here with busted stuff. You Sir, have the worst of it by far.
    even though we may not see some stuff eye to eye, I fucking hate this for you. Best of luck with this obviously awfully drawn out recovery.

ps... I'm selling my Adventure Rains. They have weaknesses that my getoff a year ago took full advantage of....

I like my A* tech3s, and bought another pair just recently... 99$ on closeout at ironpony.com:evil
  19. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will live to ride another day. :D
  20. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seriously? 2-3 years? That's a joke right?