Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trust ya'll made it through the wind and frog-strangler last night unscathed?? :ear

2. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    For foul weather, I reach for the keys to the hack! Been motoring up and down 95 on the dialy commute on 3 wheels vice two due to the rain and threat of rain. Dropped an Optima yellow-top battery in my sidebox. Need to get the SAE bulkhead connector so I can run all my heated gear off that big boy. My calculations say I should get at least 5 hours at high settings (Vest and gloves). Should be plenty for the 2 hour daily commute. I might have to splurge and see what other gizmos and trinkets I should hook up.

VAC
  3. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that is just too cute.

4. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    9.5 lbs. cute with battery, and an archaic chain oiling system, or so say the reviews.... depending on which type you get: "A" or "B".

5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mickey, the Sven 15" folding camp saw is one of the best out there. They've been around for a quite awhile and have stood the test of time:

[​IMG]

As far as an axe goes, I've had one of these Estwing camping "axes" for close to 40 years and it has held up well. Not a long handled axe that you asked about, but still has enough heft to get the job done. Any long handled variety get a little unwieldy trying to carry it on a bike. This one fits in my side pannier with no problem:

[​IMG]

6. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a slightly used Sargent Dual Sport Saddle / Seat for a F 650 / 800 GS Twin for sale.

It has about 2,000 miles on it, it is black with orange piping.

I had it on my 2010 F 650 GS which my wife now has and it is too tall for her.

Retails for $479.00 + $20 shipping. Looking to sell for $375.00 including shipping to the lower 48.

PM me for further information or pic.
  7. niceviewbehindbars

niceviewbehindbars out enjoying the vu

Oddometer:
    I have that Sven saw. 21" Works real well.
  8. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was able to put my hands on my old Estwing "axe," but my Sven saw is buried in my shed - somewhere.

[​IMG]

As bad as it looks, that old thing will still whack up some wood in no time flat. Think I bought it (and the saw) when I was still living in Lynchburg back in the '60s.

9. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    It flurried today at the family farm down in Hungry Mother VA. Cold too.

I've taken off from work to stay here as my Father is on his death bed. I've been here two weeks and I'll say here to the end. Dad has been good to me and all my family.

It's been sort of a sad party down here. Friends dropping in and eating with us, seeing Dad for the last time. He is unable to talk now, a dark color on his feet starting last night and his limbs are ice cold. Signs of the end.

We are going to bury him here on the farm like the old folks. No vault, just a box, a head and foot stone. With time his grave will look 100 years old. He was happy with the arrangement.

Y'all take care and hug up the ones you love.
  10. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear you are able to spend your father's final hours together.
  11. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Karl, our thoughts and prayers go out to your family. It's fortunate you are able to spend time with your dad during his final hours. As painful as it might be, there are many of us where that wasn't the case... the "news" simply came in the form of a phone call.

Stay strong my friend, and be rest assured he's going to a better place.

12. DirtDoctor

DirtDoctor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Karl,

May God give you peace and comfort as you say goodbye to your Dad.It sounds like he is a great man and lived a good life well.My prayers are with you and your family.:cry
  13. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    Karl, Prayers sent your way.
  14. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    Carl,

Having stayed by my father's side during his last weeks, I can truly understand the pain, and the comfort you're experiencing. I found the following passage particularly comforting to me during those long nights at his bedside:

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (The Message)

The Master's Coming
    13-14And regarding the question, friends, that has come up about what happens to those already dead and buried, we don't want you in the dark any longer. First off, you must not carry on over them like people who have nothing to look forward to, as if the grave were the last word. Since Jesus died and broke loose from the grave, God will most certainly bring back to life those who died in Jesus.
    15-18And then this: We can tell you with complete confidence—we have the Master's word on it—that when the Master comes again to get us, those of us who are still alive will not get a jump on the dead and leave them behind. In actual fact, they'll be ahead of us. The Master himself will give the command. Archangel thunder! God's trumpet blast! He'll come down from heaven and the dead in Christ will rise—they'll go first. Then the rest of us who are still alive at the time will be caught up with them into the clouds to meet the Master. Oh, we'll be walking on air! And then there will be one huge family reunion with the Master. So reassure one another with these words.

Oh, what a day that will be.

God be with you my friend. Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers.

- Jimmy
  15. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kinda nippy out here this a.m. :lol3

[​IMG]
  16. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
  17. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    I can't read modern American English.
    This has been bothering me a lot lately, because I never really encoutered this sort of dialect where I used to live, but I see it all the time now. I'll see thing written and while I can usually make out the general point, sometimes I have no idea what someone is talking about. It's frustrating when people list something like a motorcycle for sale for thousands of dollars, and I can't read the description.

It's weird, because when I talk in person to people write like this, they're not total idiots. They're intelligent, well spoken individuals.

So why do they choose to post for sale ads like:
  19. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Um, because they don't teach diagramming sentences in grade school anymore?

Or, perhaps texting has made people very lazy.
  20. 308 Sniper

308 Sniper n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I live in south GA, but originally from Richmond, VA. Going this coming week to visit the family for Turkey Day. I want to check out the local dealerships to see the latest and greatest that I'm reading about in the magazines for dual sport/adventure riding. Any BMW, Triumph, or KTM dealers around? No dealers in my town except Yamaha, Kawi, and Honda. Just want to drool (I mean look) over them. My current dual sport ride is an 02 KTM 640 LC4, road bike is a 03 Honda CBR600RR. One of these days I'd like to get in to the larger bore adventure setups like the bmw800 or 1200, super tenere, even ktm's offerings. Never seen any of these bikes in person. It would be nice to look at them ftf, sit on them, and see how they feel/weigh compared to what I am used to.
    Thanks in advance. Flying up, so will only be riding my dad's dirtbikes while I'm up there.