10 Best Motorcycle Roads in US?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by FotoTEX, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    It would be fun at 90mph.
  2. aculate

aculate Herk, herk,...Ptooey

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Until they raise the speed limit to 65+ it won't be a great motorcycle road. It is interesting, though, and a pleasant ride. Since it's managed by the Park Service, there are no billboards, no tree farms, few power lines, etc. I would guess that it's as close as you'll find anywhere to what the antebellum South must have looked like. Minus the whole slavery thing, and other unpleasantness.

Another one I'd remove from the list is the "Going to the Sun" road, in Glacier. It may be worth a ride, but unless your idea of great motorcycling is following a creeping queue of RV's for miles, it's not a Ten Best Motorcycle Road candidate.
  3. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    I did several sections at 70-90mph, and it wasn't that much more fun. Of course most of my concentration was looking WAYYY down the road for cops :rofl
  4. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Pig Trail! :clap
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the risk of causing attention to a classic ribbon of unattended, empty, perfect, flowing, unpatrolled 2 wheeled heaven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Flowery Trail Road. From Chewelah, WA to Cusick, WA.
    There, I did it. The secret is now forever shared. Use this info at your pleasure.

Steve
  6. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that's true
  7. moulin6801

moulin6801 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree with top 10 but you left Blue Ridge Parkway out, and it is some awesome road!
  8. jmarsh

jmarsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love to ride on Natchez trace....i think great for riders.
  9. Paulie

Paulie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread, and thanx AK for the compile. I've been on a fair share of these (prolly >3/4) & enjoyed most of em.

My lil contrib is the road to Sunspot observatory from Cloudcroft NM. Nice sweepers on the way & good edjamocation on top. http://nsosp.nso.edu/maps
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 10 best are the 10 twistiest and closest to where I am at without any traffic and no LEOs patrolling them... and yes, they do exist. If I told you, I'd have to kill you. Otherwise they end up with the "Deal's Gap" syndrome - lots of idiots going too fast, getting hurt and lots of traffic that shouldn't be there, but are because of the fame of the road. I'll take mine "Gap-less".
  11. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Push Mtn was an unexpected surprise for Barley and me as we rode to the MOA Rally up in Sedalia MO this month! We left Mountain Home AR at 4am and rode over Push Mtn in the pre-dawn blush. It was incredible! We came thru one series of twisties and the faintest sliver of a moon was hanging in the sky just over the horizon. One of my favorite memories of any trip we've taken!

Trying to put a top 10 road list together is about as useful and recommending one motorcycle seat for everybody. We're all looking for something different. I personally find the BRP boring after half an hour. And the Dragon is a tourist destination, not a great ride unless you love to be surrounded by legions of idiots on wheels.

Even the legendary Rte 100 here in Vermont can get boring in places; better to use it as a baseline while riding the twisty gaps to the west.

But that's just me. YMMV
  12. tuckerman

tuckerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on 14 Alt!!! I found it better than The Going To the Sun Road and rivals Beartooth.
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Best description of that road. Ever. :deal
  14. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    The next one!
  15. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks, headed out there next week and had beartooth on the list already, going to add this one as well :clap
  16. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    HWY 58 in Cali was pretty sweet. As well as the northern section of RT 1 (PCH) Amazing.
  17. otto

otto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good roads mentioned here, especially:

CA Rte 36, 1, 299, Lassen NM, Lots of nice back roads in the wine country
    ID Rte 12
    UT Hanksville to Torrey Rte 12 I think. Most anywhere in UT actually,
    Mt-Wy Beartooth Pass Chief Joseph
    OR Rte 1 and the road up to Crater Lake

Not mentioned:

The road up to the top of Mt, Evans in CO. It's only about 15 miles but a great piece of work. I still have to check out Pikes Peak.

Rte 50/6 across UT NV from Delta UT to Reno. Some may find it boring, but I love the big empty. Nice camping at Great Basin NP. Nicest stretch from Austin to Ely.

I can't recall the the name of the road but it connects to 163 to Mexican Hat. It turns to gravel as it descends from a mesa, unbelievable views.
  18. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    That would be the Moki Dugway - UT-261. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Route_261

You are correct -it is a great road.
  19. otto

otto Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's it Moki Dugway. Found a photo:

[​IMG]
  20. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Vanocker is awesome.