225's Teardrop Camper Build

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by 225, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very small update:

Also, some high res pics before I left. Since those pics, the hols have been drilled for the hitch pins. And on my local forum a couple guys asked if the frame was warped. It's not. It's just really bumpy ground where the trailer is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what's left for the cabin and stuff:
    [​IMG]

I cut off the tail light boxes and the angle iron holding it. It was too flimsy. I am going to replace it with square tubing. And I tried cutting off the taillight boxes from the angle iron, and well, the boxes are fucked.

So I had to buy new ones, which is ok, because I didn't want the ones with the tag holder on them.

I also just bought a MIG welder and plasma cutter. So my metal work I have left will go a lot faster now.

Also some epoxy for the epoxy filler for the outside.
    [​IMG]

And something else I done while I was at home, a supermoto frame swap

Original 07 KTM SMR with ghetto tank:
    [​IMG]

Stripped down:
    [​IMG]

New frame modded for 09 bodywork:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done, almost. The bike isn't shifting and I need a special tool for the slipper. Plus I am building a custom dual exhaust.

[​IMG]
  2. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:

Oh MY!!! :eek1 :tb:knary
  3. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I went the Benroy profile. I just love it too much. I built the template from paper, so I will have to make adjustments for the door. Also, I welded the fenders and taillight boxes on. I also painted the fenders and over spray on the tires flat black. I am going to box in, in between the rear fender and taillight boxes and fill it with expanded metal.

It's too dark for pics, but I took a break from wiring up the trailer. So tomorrow, I'll start on the floor, and should be finished with it sometime tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Floor is built, epoxied, and siliconed! Tomorrow, I will put bed liner on, the off to the walls!

[​IMG]
  4. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    I can't even make a straight cut across a 2x4. Very impressive work. Looks great. Can't wait to see pics of the finished product. :thumb
  5. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!

Tube of silicone says it may take up to 7 days to dry. Which is no biggie because I am going on a motorcycle trip for a week next week anyway.

Better pics of almost finished trailer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Profile and holes cut. I still need to cut the notch for the hatch, which I will do later today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm.....just the one door??
    We had one on both sides of ours and would never consider anything but 2 doors! (it eliminates the need for the person on the window side to hafta climb over the other person to use the 'facilities' at 3am! ):deal
    but we too LOVE the Benroy style! (best use of available space!) :clap
  7. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your build, some neat ideas.

I like your idea on the tongue and have a possible improvement for you. I did something similar on a log splitter but made the jack part of the fixed (trailer side) rather than the tongue side. It allows me to remove the entire tongue for theft and I'm less apt to gouge my knees when working around it. In your case it would also deter theft and allow you to adjust the tongue without the burden of the tongue weight. It appears you have put a lot of planning into your build so I suspect you may have considered this already.

Best picture I could find, the tongue slides into a receiver like yours near the yellow wires.
    [​IMG]
  8. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Cool build! One thing I plan to do some day as well.
  9. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:
    Cool build.

Of course I have $0.02 to offer also :deal

Instead of that gargantuan cooling unit, you can get a De Longhi portable heat pump - A/C for around $500.

AC/Heat Pump
  10. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pop up camper for the misses and the youngun'. This camper is just for me and my motorcycle trips to the mountains, and wherever else. I wanted something small and light that can run off my small Honda generator. And that I can use anywhere, like on side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, I am putting a stabilizer jack on the front. I just haven't yet. I have to patch up the 4 holes in the square tubing and build some rails in between the taillights and fenders. When I do that, I'll weld the jack on.

Thanks!

Wish I could. Wouldn't be enough room on the inside for that.

The silicone dried up faster than I thought it would. So today, I cut the notch for the hatch on the walls. Then laid down epoxy, then bed liner on the bottom.

I also I put the bed liner on the bottom of the floor. So I am going to let everything cure for the night. And in the morning, I'll place everything on the trailer, and start on the cabinets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    are you planning on pulling this with your motorcycle, or throwing the bike in a truck bed and draggin' this behind that??

not a dumb question, as I HAVE seen bikes towing teardrops.
  12. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really not a dumb question. I am pulling it with my van.
  13. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikes and teardrops are a myth....:evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the lack of updates over the last couple of days. But the camper shell is done. Wiring is done. And I am working on the cabinets, and hatch tomorrow. Should have the A/C in too. I am waiting on tan bed liner and more epoxy to come it before she will be done. Other than that, the galley is all I have left.

I'll be 99% done other than waiting on bed liner to come in to coat the outside, and she'll be finished.

[​IMG]

Carpet on the wall on the window side. Painting the ceiling.

[​IMG]

Door side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow!!
  15. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the lack of updates. But The cabinets are painted and installed. First coat of bed liner is on. All that's left is install the speaker box which will go under the hatch, and the inverter. And the counter top.

I also have to epoxy, and bed liner the hatch, and that's that.

Cabinets:
    [​IMG]

First coat of bed liner:
    [​IMG]

Bed liner up close:
    [​IMG]

The bottom part that's black will be cut in correctly tomorrow.

Almost there..
  17. 225

225 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuff needs done:

Remount fenders.
    Carpet ceiling.
    Build interior cabinets.

A little touch up painting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And very little trim work left on the galley:
    [​IMG]
  18. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    I don't remember if you posted your location or not, but for folks on the California/Oregon border areas...

I was riding home a week ago from Sacramento, and coming through the Lake Shasta area. I saw well over 50 teardrops, running solo or in groups, heading South down I-5 on their way home from the "Dam Gathering".( http://www.teardrops.net/damgathering.html )

I later heard from a friend that attended, that there were 170 teardrops at the event this year!!! :deal :eek1 (very likely that this was the largest teardrop event in history!!)

what a great place to get ideas and inspiration for a teadrop build.

Summer's just about here....get that baby finished!!! :norton
  19. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you going to weigh this teardrop when you're all done?
  20. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Awesome. My dad started building one, but sold it before he finished it.

He had it completely closed in. It just needed to be "finished".

We were supposed to take it on a trip to Moab, but he bought a toy hauler instead.

I want to build one, once we find a new house, where I have room to park it.

I'll have to subscribe to this thread.