The Honda XL1000V thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

So, how does it ride? :ear
    It looks really nice Ghostbrother, well done!
  2. Ghostbrother

Ghostbrother Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks man.
    This image from the first test run a week ago ..... And here she is way too high! Maybe not in the saddle height and ground clearance, the balance is not quite good, even if she runs like a dream, fantastikt good to be the first tour.

With this height in the rear then the fork angle is a little too aggressive and there with a little too prepared to go into curves ... :)

+ Here the picture;, I lowered her provisionally for testing, so Öhlin petitioner could not work properly, it was simply, really tough.

Today, she looks a little different, lower o slimmer saddle, rebuilt shock absorber linkage and upper mounting. A more friendly fork angle and with a more correct fork position with regard to bias, she was a little soft in the front on the tests, + some other eye details.

In tests last Saturday .... So were finalized after 4 hours with the chain sprocket on the rear hub was removed with brackets and everything should have stopped and drawn the bolts after a few times .... But it was so much fun that I simply did not think about it and with earplugs so ......

The weekend will see the big test to be done with GP and other fun stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever strip a Varadero rear shock? Got it out, but can't find any diagrams or instructions in any of my manuals.

Bought a harder spring I want to install please :ear
  4. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:

I really love it up to this stage.
    The bike really looks promising when it's naked.
    Maybe reworrk theairbox department to something slimmer,left and right fuel slim fuel tank like the KTM adv,or perhaps,the 690 evo rally tanks,using external fuel pumps?
    Hmmm....
  5. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I`m looking for getting another bike for travelling two up and for commuting.
    Varadero would be one option.

Is there any special weak points in carb modells? Fuel pump is same as in AT I suppose?

Does the bike carry two persons + all the gear and is it still a joy to ride?

Thanks

Antti
  6. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:

www.varadero-international.com and the archive at http://users.bart.nl/~stikfort/new_international_site/ will provide all the info you need!

Don't go for a carb version. Get a after 2003 FI injection one. Much better fuel economy and excellent CBS-ABS brakes.

When the Varadero was introduced back in 1998, it had the largest loading capacity of all big trail bikes of those days. Two up + luggage is no problem at all. But again... I would search for an FI version (improved rear suspension compared with the carb versions)
  7. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
    Last test:

Adventure days 2013 Sweden!
    600+ offroad bikes

Varadero Super Offroad.... Made it with a great tribute .... nice balance, extreme speed, moderate efekt, perfect height and some surprised glances ... :)

I have now lowered the saddle 55 mm, moved back handlebars 50mm, sent feather in the back a little and this weekend so the new tests await.

I'm really surprised at how well everything is going, a great off road machine .... on some sand / gravel trails, I drove easily 150 + km / h without disturbances.

The bottom picture shows me as number two from the right.
    Please enjoy Sincerely GB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Hey GB

Great posting! It proves that the good, old Varadero is really 'bullet-proof'!
    Make sure you are going to make it to next years Varadero & Crosstourer International Meeting which will be held in your neighbour country Norway (Geiranger Fjord)

Updates at www.vci-forum.com / www.varadero-international.com
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great...more pics please!
    Any info on the weight of the beast?
  10. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    The stock MKI Varadero puts 253kg on the scale.
    A quick look at the mods make me guess this one does about 235-240kg.

But: just guessing! :wink:
  11. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
    Tja
    In our part of the world we are talking always about dry weight and most tests and data are broadly similar in terms Varaderons dry weight.
    Have a wonderful weekend GB LL RW L

[​IMG]
  12. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
  13. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
    Hummm 220 - 255 = 35 kg
    220 kg must be completely empty of all fluids .... In my Swedish paper says that tax weight is 210 kg!?!

I simply took and drove up the bike on a real wave today and .....

When I last fall weighed the bike in the original design so my first thought was that the scale was broken and without gasoline showed wave then 216 kg, and because it says 210 kg in my papers, I have not thought more about it and after last weekend's test as I had no second thoughts either about the weight. And as I told you before, I am more than pleased with how 1 phase of the project Super Offroad, XL 1000 seems.

Including everything on the bike, except gasoline, tools, spare inner tube and some other must haves .... So the bike weighs 227.6 kg today!

I currently have a fully equipped monster offroad with everything, large tool box, spare hoses and spark plugs + some other goodies, an offroad bike that can easily leaves most other big offroad bikes in the dust behind it at just 230 kg. I think it's a very good outcome of stage one, where the goal has been to have a good stable and balanced foundation to build on.

227.6 kg :clap
  14. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    Excellent figure. Nothing to say more! :wink:
  15. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for Your reply.

However I bought 1100GS.
  16. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
    Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there will be major problems with the steering angle, fork changes into a "enduro fork" on a modern wide road frame ....

And sure enough, now it was just a day's work with welding and cutting machine for me while someone else might intimidated by the mere thought. We are all different also maybe I can encourage someone to dare to do the same.
    [​IMG]
    I chose to do the work without makeup .... plastic, or other fill products. And to reinforce the frame header in the existing frame tubes with 2 x square section tube on each side.

[​IMG]
    So here it was, and today it is the turning radius is very good .... I just did not have to cut the upper frame tubes, but they are completely original except I moved the rear bracket of "tower position" 20 mm

Have a nice day GB
  17. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
    Many expensive 'good to have stuff "we can buy for our dear bikes ..... And I myself like to buy these things .... In some cases, we / I need to buy more expensive things because the first was not good ... As eg in the case of foot pegs and its relegation.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a great inexpensive way to test their way to a good personal level.
    Foot pegs that move slightly backward.

I just use a regular 10mm bolt and hanging foot peg in it, usually I put a piece of pipe between the upper and lower bracket, here in the picture so it removed for you to see properly

I recommend no one to run with this forever! But only to test out the right level!

I myself have been using this "thinking" and driven more than 10000 km without any problems, but that's me:rofl

For me, I like to hang on the rear fender, remove All authority from the front wheel, (not just hang in the rear fender, but also hang in the throttle grip :) so that the foot pegs will little further back is just a bonus!
  18. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    @Ghostbrother... what is the brand of the aftermarket footpegs you are using?
  19. Ghostbrother

Oddometer:
    SCAR Honda CR 450 R... Attachment are custom made by me!
  20. Two Plugs

Oddometer:
    So, the pegs are Honda Originals? Have you considered any after marked pegs in stead? F.e. Touratech, SW Motech, etc?