Urban riding - for road warrior types

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by jposttx, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jposttx

jposttx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked around a little here - did not see where this was addressed lately

Just got back from a trip to - the City - NYC
    I taxied and subwayed - but saw a huge assortment on the road- vespas and naked bikes seemed to rule
    What a crazy environment to ride - got me thinking about what would work there for me
    I live in small town America - I commute 30 rural miles to another small town on my VTX
    BUT I used to live in DFW - rode a xt500 and a nighthawk S
    I think the S or xt would work well in NYC

What do you guys think would be a "safe" choice for this kind of riding - plus adding some escape to the road ?
    Something moden - Maybe a vstrom? Not moving but just curious what you lurkers think?
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kawi Versys.

Tall, decent suspension, great powerband for the city.
  3. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DR650 or a supermoto of some sort.
  4. tonysmallframe

tonysmallframe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been living in a city forever. Had DR650-WR250X, then got a used Buell Xb9SX. The dirt bike bikes sucked when riding from NYC to DC - Buell is much better. Buell isn't as agile around town, but it's not bad at all. Still sit really upright, and can bound through traffic on torque alone.

Best part of the Buell? The maintenance. Try checking valve clearances on the WR250X on the sidewalk. Because living in the city pretty much precludes you from having that fancy garage with the lift below your bedroom. Buell has self adjusting valves, belt drive, etc. Can pretty much just change the oil whenever you feel like it, and jump on and go otherwise. Don't have to find a place in your apartment for tons of tools.
  5. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, Supermoto. Upright position, Sturdy, and if ya need to you can jump curbs or even stairs on em.
  6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Cavernous potholes, raised manhole covers, constant construction, deep ruts from heavy trucking, heavy traffic, tight lane splitting, etc, etc, etc.............

Sounds like a DS or Supermoto place, no?

The more suspension, the better.
  7. tonysmallframe

tonysmallframe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two other thoughts.

Ghetto kids love dirtbikes. If you have a dirtbike and park it on the street, it won't be yours for long. See my departed Dr650 and WR250X for examples. Doesn't matter how many locks you have, it's on borrowed time. No one wants to steal a Buell.

Second, don't get a GS or some other big dumb bike with wide ass hard luggage. You're not crossing the desert, you are driving 30 midtown blocks. Big luggage makes the bike too wide to filter and you might as well be in a car at that point. Piss off with all the heated gear as well, by the time it warms up you will already be done with your trip and inside your office.
  8. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Narrow, narrow, narrow.

A rattle-can EX500 or SV650 or any supermoto'd dirtbike is probably the perfect city bike. Probably best to stay away from big/tall Euro-bikes with heavy clutches and tall gearing, too.
  9. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NYC is in my backyard and I've been riding in it for almost 30 years. Bikes for ripping in and around the city that have worked well for me have been the following.

XL 250, 350 and 600
    DR 350
    XT 250
    75 Sporty
    84 FXR

Bikes that I use to go in the city but are really to wide to sneak around and through traffic.
    89 FLHT
    2011 Street Glide
  10. page62

page62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Kawi KLX250SF supermoto. It's perfect for the city. Lightweight, bike brakes, and very nimble. And enough speed for the freeway when needed! :D
  11. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I had to live in a big city I wouldn't need a bike, 'cause I'd just hang myself.:D
  12. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't by any chance park on 15th NW near Rhode Island? Always see a Buell parked there, but I can't remember the model.
  13. cantseejack

cantseejack woop woop

Oddometer:
    My vote would be for a supermoto (that, as tonysmallframe says, would be hard to keep) or a midweight twin of some sort. I enjoyed an SV650 greatly in the streets of NYC (and still do), Monsters work well, Kawasaki 650s, BMW F650 and F800, KLRs, etc. Riding a Z1000 now, and the engine is too damn wide sometimes.
  14. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    works great for me, and even fun for a track day now and then
  15. jposttx

jposttx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think if I had to go back to city I'd have to park the vtx too wide and go with the sv or get a Ulysses ..:clap
  16. jposttx

jposttx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was another one to consider xr1200 hd? Need longer travel better springs I guess?
  17. sargev55

sargev55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lets see how this goes :)

sportster 1200, bonneville t100 or scrambler, ducati 696, street triple.

:clap
  18. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    The Nighthawk S was about 25 years ahead of it's time.
  19. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    This, naked and ugly (less prone to theft)
  20. I've ridden my X and my Aero in DC many times going to work. Commuting in and out of the city I prefer the Aero, as it is a bit more nimble. If I had to live in the city, I'd probably go with a nighthawk.