nwgs motorhome addiction and therapy thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2009.

1. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any info on this?

[​IMG]
    That thing is awesome!
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with the Alfa Toyhouse toy hauler trailers? I have been negotiating with a gent that has one and I am thinking that it's going to be worth riding over to take a look at it when I get a break from this site.

[​IMG]
  3. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Holy Cow! Looks like a work of art!
  4. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
  5. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    A one off custom based on an old bus, probably someone's collage football tailgating rig. Lots of old RVs around here painted in Auburn, Alabama, or UGA colors that only roll to and from home-games.

Anyone recognize the emblem on the side?
  6. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ I thought it was a folding hair dryer at first.
  7. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I built this for a French couple traveling the world a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

Full story HERE
  8. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two questions for you motor home zealots:

1. Internet aces. I'm thinking about picking up a small Class B for ski bumming and dirt bike riding in the states. I would like Internet in the evenings but will be dry camping most times away from any wifi. Sooooooo how is internet accessed from a motorhome (with no cell phone contracts)? Is it possible to do without yearly contracts as I'm planning on being in the motorhome for 3-4 months per year?

2. I would like to carry my dirt bike on the rear bumper. Has anybody seen any ideas how to carry one on the bumper but protected from the elements?

Thanks in advance.
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Technically the sat Internet people usually won't allow you to have a sat Internet setup with an RV because they claim the things are tough to aim and there are legal requirements. When I need to go to sat Internet I plan to go with these people -
    http://www.MobileInternetSatellite.com . After online testing they will certify you as being a qualified installer, which strikes me as being a sane approach.

I say "usually". There are some early two way sat setups out there but they are bloody expensive.

Before you go that route however you might double check that there is no cellular service. I work in the remote parts of the southern Texas desert and have often been 40 miles from the closest US store and 10 miles from the border. Even there you can usually get a cell signal if you know the tricks. Basically everyone has a Wilson cell booster (I have a directional 115 volt one for an office mounted on top of a collapsible mast) and out here AT&T is the only game in town.

There are several lifts and carriers out there of various qualities. A tarp is about the best solution that I have ever seen for keeping the dirt off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    ftb, I started a thread about this a while ago. I didn't reach any real conclusion though. Might see something that will help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846001

If you figure it out will ya let me know? :lol3
  11. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the link hppyfngy. That thread was both revealing and sad. I had no idea in a country packed with as many motorhomes that we have really no wealth of choices for internet access other than leeching from Starbucks or through cell phone contracts.

PirateJohn - Since i will only be in the states 3-4 months per year I was trying to get around without a yearly cell phone contract. Right now I'm getting together a few Terrabytes of movies N stuff to keep me entertained in the evening since internet access may be difficult. Now I need to find if any carriers have pay as you go options for Cell service.
  12. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

There are several smaller carriers that will offer a month to month contract on an Internet service. I had a contract with Cricket for a USB device but they don't have any signal out in the desert regions where I have been working so I had to go to AT&T, which is pretty pricey. I think that AT&T also offers a month to month USB device but be careful - some of these services make it difficult to impossible on a short-term basis and they manage to stick you with extra months.

I was chatting with the folks that have the company whose link I sent to you and they told me that satellite service for RVers has practically died this year. Reasons? The US economy has made it difficult for retirees to travel (very sad), and that more and more RV parks are offering wireless. That, and cellular Internet is becoming more and more available.

Personally, I haven't been on a site that didn't have cellular Internet since last Fall, and at that time I was 40 miles down a dirt road from any grocery store, gas station, or anything except maybe a hunting lodge or two.

When I go into town I take my iPhone and iPad and go somewhere that has Internet and download as much as I can.

If you want to watch movies and television consider getting a Dish satellite system. $250 for the receiver, about $100 for an antenna on a tripod. They do offer a month to month service for RVers.
  13. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I think it means it is an Autobot.
  14. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for including the link to the full story. My OCD would have driven me nuts trying to figure out why the hell they mounted the camper backwards.

For those that didn't click on the link, it is mounted backwards to keep the door out of the dust when traveling long miles on dusty roads.
  15. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would've thought they did it so they could tilt the cab for maintenance on the engine.
  16. Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza Thundering Shire

Oddometer:

awesome!!!!
  17. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:

hmmmm.....maybe both!
  18. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ...Or because it looks like it wouldn't clear the cab without raising it up.
  19. team ftb

Oddometer:

Fantastic information, thank you.

Todays economy has certainly put a strain on a lot of industries. The RV sector is most likely feeling it even worse as it is usually discretionary income that stimulates most RV usage.

Good news about RV sights increasing usage of wireless, unfortunately most of my camping will be dry docking (4 days avg. stay) and not making use of RV sights. I have got now 3 terabytes of movies and TV to keep me occupied but what I'd really like is internet access to pass some time. However it looks like its not really available cost effectively without a yearly cell contract. I'll check into the options you listed and thanks for the insight.

Just missed out on an Ebay Class B by $800 today. So the search continues.

I'm finding most inexpensive Class B's (under $10k) often don't have a generator. Knowing nothing about approximate amperage draw would you be able to power enough LED lights to function inside a B for a few days? Say if its only for lights and computer usage and using deep cycle battery(ies)?
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    I would suggest that you keep looking; I have a relatively junky Southwind RV that's worth about $5K and it has a good generator. Good enough that I may scrap out this RV rather than sell it simply because the parts are worth more than the whole (with that said if your travels take you to the San Antonio, TX area and you need an occasional RV then drop me a line and we might kick something around).

Good places for RV bargains are eBay (search for repos and no reserve sales - you see some bargains every so often), Craigslist, and www.RVTrader.com

When looking for something in the USA remember that this is a big country (although I am sure that you know that) and even Texas is big enough that some RVs may not be economical if you have to travel across the state to pick it up.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD