mexican 1000

Discussion in 'Racing' started by decafe, Dec 20, 2011.

1. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    It was a great race. Was my first time playing in the sand. I am sure the silt of Baja is a lot different but still gave me some good confidence. Never thought I would be in 5th gear with the throttle to the stop in stuff like this!

[​IMG]

Was a good test of my prototype nav tower + faring as well.
  2. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:

Nice!! :thumb

...and thanks for the link.
  3. Racer20

Racer20 East West Racing

Oddometer:
    Looks good, send a couple more pics of the fab if you get a chance.
  4. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    The norra web site says 80 days until the Mexican 1000 but by my count it is actually only 74! Better start getting ready :clap
  6. Racer20

Racer20 East West Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. You still planning on riding the snow run sunday?
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    That's the plan.
  8. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impressive, each of those hotels is more expensive than any hotel I've ever stayed in in Baja. Apparently they do it differently over at NORRA.... =)
  9. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I thought they seemed high. Any chance you know of any specific hotels in the towns we are staying each night? I am not picky, I figure a shower and a relatively clean bed is all I really need. Would rather save my money for fresh tires, oh and maybe a couple extra cerveza's each night :freaky
  10. oregoncoast

Oddometer:

I agree the hotels are expensive, but for us in Mexicali, I liked being at the same hotel where the NORRA registration/Mag 7 registration was. We got tons of very good information abouot the course from other racers and chase teams just by being in the same location. Cool walking around the parking lot after registration looking at all of the cool vehicles.

Also, the bike tech inspection was done right there in the parking lot by legendary racer Eddie Mulder, who was staying in the room next to us. That was fun.

Being there for that first day was nice and the Bull fighting arena was very close by..where it seems they are planning a big fiesta the night before the race this time.

Bay of LA..no choice.

Loreto, lots of choices, we stayed in another hotel down the street from the very expensive NORRA hotel..worked out fine.

In La Paz, we got bumped from the expensive NORRA hotel, but found a cheap place with secure parking for the van. This year we may try to stay down at the Malecon where some other racers had stayed...

For us, security was important...but also, even if its expensive, when splitting the room between several people, its not very much. Especially when considering the thousands of dollars I am spending to even get to the starting line in Mexico. I'm not going to cry about spending a few dollars more for a clean, safe hotel.

This year, we will be having a couple of condos in Cabo I hope..thank god for the in-law's timeshares :deal

Last year, I simply slept in the van with the bike and gear, and showered in the room as needed.
  11. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Paul,

Did you make hotel reservations for every town ahead of time? Or did you just figure out some of them when you got there? I am guessing the more reasonably priced places are probably hard to find web sites or phone numbers for ahead of time.

I am considering just making reservations for Mexicalli, Cabo, and whatever norra finds in Bay of L.A. but I don't know how reasonable it is to find a room on demand.
  12. oregoncoast

Oddometer:

Someone with more Baja experience should answer this one. One thing we did feel is that we could have gotten much cheaper hotels in Loreto and La Paz if we wanted, probably without reservations. Being as it was our first time down there, we felt more comfortable staying closer to the "tribe."

I also have a question for the Baja regulars:

Me and another rider will be spending the night of race day one in San Ignacio in order to stage for the 2nd special on day 2....any suggestions on motels or where to not to stay in that area?? :ear
  13. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    Rice and Beans in San Ignacio is hard to beat. Good resturant and great margaritas too. :evil
  14. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd stay in a yurt at Ignacio springs. Good people, nice place...
  15. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I got a call last night from a buddy and He said... "What do you think about the Mexican 1000?" My response even surprised me.... "Let's do it":lol3
    Am I out of my mind or is this going to be off the hook? We both would do the race on our 950 Super Enduro's but neither of us has any desert racing experience or any idea how to get support or even what rooms to get:lol3

I live in Burlington VT and He lives in Asheville, NC. The obvious thing is for me to drive to Asheville, pick him up and then head to Mexico unless we can find another group that is willing to share some hauling duty and chase truck duties.
    Is it possible to get to the start and find someone to haul spares and a gear bag or two if we go ghetto style? I would rather keep it simple and ride back to Mexicali after the race is over anyway. I've slept in the ditch before and I really don't mind it:lol3

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
  16. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I always knew your mind was in the gutter, didn't realize it was your whole body :lol3

I think Tim Morton of Baja Bound might be doing something and iirc he said something about hauling some gear for "Males Motto" riders. But, I think this was all dependent on if there was enough to make it worth his while.

Welcome to the fun :freaky
  17. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I'll keep Baja bound in mind. I spoke to Tim's wife last year and she was very, very helpful.
  18. Racer20

Racer20 East West Racing

Oddometer:
    Well looks like we have 3 teams coming from the east coast, dont think we have anymore room but will keep you posted if we hear of anything. you looking for transport of 2 bikes and gear?
  19. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Yea, at this point I'm leaning towards shipping the bikes and flying out with the hope of hiring some sort of support to carry gas, spares and personal items.
    Riding back north from Cabo could be a lot of fun and then fly out after stuffing the bikes into a crate.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts. Honestly, I just got wind of the idea last night around 7 pm and I'm throwing a bunch of ideas out there and hoping something will stick. The driving is going to suck:lol3
  20. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Crankshaft and Racer20 and I it appears will all be at the snow run enduro tomorrow. We should see about getting together after.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk