Cleveland, OH to MCAS Cherry Point, NC

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pista, Dec 6, 2012.

1. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm here in Cleveland, OH.
    My son is currently at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, NC. No problem hopping in the cage and traveling Interstates about 700 miles and 12hrs. each way to spend some time with him.
    Well here I sit thinking perhaps I could combine a visit next summer while riding some great motorcycle roads to get there.
    I'd prefer avoiding interstates with the exception of hoofing it through Ohio for a quick start.
    Ideally looking to make it a 2 day trip each way and riding an SV1000S.
    Any pointers? Head east through PA then drop south? South through WV, VA, then head east?
    What's the best way to go about routing this ride? I have about 6-7 months to plan this.
  2. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    With a map in front of you, follow 250 from Ohio's Amish Country southeast. The entire route is pleasant riding, but it's sensational once you hit the Monongahela NF in West Virginia! I'd probably take the Blue Ridge Parkway south to the Cherokee NF in North Carolina before turning east and taking rural roads to Cherry Point.

Of course that assumes you enjoy riding more than shopping and other urban tourist things.

Semper fi to your son!

Pete
    9th Marines
  3. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made that trip many times. If time is not an issue he could also backroad it toward Deals gap and then backroad to Cherry Point. Thanks to your son for his service.
  4. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    My brother lives south of Wilmington, NC
    I would like to hear a nice route too.

Pete
  5. Moparmanpete

Oddometer:
    Just came up with this
    19hrs 975miles
    http://goo.gl/maps/YPkv9

This is kind of what I already had in mind for me if I "ever" decide to visit it my brother.

50 east
    then follow the mountains south then slowly work east
    It should combine both a slow leisurely pace with a bit of highway for time

Just an Idea

Pete

</IFRAME>
  6. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks to be a great route Boondox. And I will pass on the Semper fi from both you and justlookin.
    While I do not mind exploring new routes, my concern was getting into a remote area or hitting unpaved roads. With the SV, I feel most comfortable getting fuel every 120 miles or so and no way does getting caught on gravel interest me in the least.
  7. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    50 is superslab from Parkersburg to Clarksburg. Avoid it and stick to two lane.
  8. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks to be a fantastic route Pete. I'd like to make it an easy 2 day ride so that is probably stretching it with long days.

How about this: based on boondox input, so far I'm looking at US-250->US220->US-221->VA-43->US-29->CA-86->US-70->I-40->US-70 (obviously I have no clue as to how to transfer that from Googlemaps as you did above) 750miles, 15 hrs
  9. Moparmanpete

Oddometer:
    I have heard guys say they can plot routes on google maps for off road but I can't figure it out :norton

I just mark my start point and finish point and then drag Google's "preffered route:lol3" to where ever I like it better.

I don't have a GPS yet so I just wing it and use my route for reference :D
  10. Moparmanpete

Oddometer:
    Need any company on the way down?
  11. Moparmanpete

Oddometer:

http://goo.gl/maps/xU8MB

Here you go :D just a fast rough version
  12. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm used to using a GPS for vacations or driving in unfamiliar areas while caging it. But it always tries to default to the fastest/shortest route.
    For this trip I wasn't looking for either of those. Info on good motorcycling roads are why I posted on ADV. And I greatly appreciate the input.
    Next I need to transfer the Google route to my "plain jane", basic, nuvi 760 GPS if in fact it has that capability.
  13. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds good Pete. Right now I'm looking at perhaps a July or August time frame.

For the record, be forewarned, I will be taking my SV1000S. But I ride it as if it were a Nighthawk 250. Okay, maybe that's exaggerating. But no scraping pegs or dragging knees for me :deal
  14. Moparmanpete

Oddometer:
    :D I would be on my XL, not really a speed machine.

July/August would be a nice time of year.