KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    What the hell guys?

What is it about this bike that brings out the worst in us? We share the same roads and trails and we all obviously love to ride. I have ridden scores of bikes over the past 30+ years and quite a few of them cost a lot more than the KLR.

I am well aware of the limitations and shortcomings of the KLR but I prefer to stay focused on why I like it. The KLR is a basic machine with a decades old engine design that has stood the test of time. It fits my 6'-5" frame better than the vast majority of bikes out there.

But most of all it brings a smile to my face every time I throw my leg over the seat and thumb the starter. Most of us should probably ride more and type less.:ricky
    Keeper, JohnnyP3 and RW66 like this.
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    The KLR simply is what it is. . . a farm tractor on two wheels. I've been guilty of looking for another gear on all my bikes at times.

Why don't we take the bickering and name-calling over to Jo Momma or Head Explody? This thread has hope of being useful, and the pissing contests are getting it nowhere.
    gaff likes this.
  3. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was my intention to try and get a KLR specific thread going for all the right reasons.....I'm willing to stay on course ....

The tractor mentality is the exact way I describe the KLR to anyone who doesn't know anything about. It is a basic tractor type piece of machinery, nothing special, nothing flashy, just does the job...plain and simple.
  4. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

IMHO- scrap this thread and take a lesson from how Krusty ... has designed the DR650 tech thread topics. That's the only way to 1. stay on track and 2. help filter out the bullshit. Otherwise, this type of thread will never really be helpful- just another forum for the same re-hashed questions and answers.

That, or for real KLR tech advice go over to .net or the old reliable MarkNet or Big Cee KLR pages.
  5. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    OK I'm in! I have always checked the Thumper thread to scour for KLR bits and wondered why "we" didn't have our own. Well now we do so "can't we all just get along" and lets make this work.

Just added new TKC's to the ride and WOW I wonder what took me so long. Excellent on gravel and trails and really surprised at how well the work on the road. I stay off the slab on the KLR (that's what the GS is for) and can honestly say I'll never use another tire...................................as long as they don't quit making them :D

oh, sorry no current picture of the new skins...............

Attached Files:

Matthew.chizz likes this.
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting thread he has going, but I also would like this to be a bit more friendly, not so clinical. Nothing wrong with opinions etc as long as the mud doesn't start flying...IMHO.
    I have edited all my previous posts in hopes we can get this thread back on track, I'm hoping everyone else who didn't have anything positive to say will do the same.
    Well enough for that BS...
    I also wanted to get more people talking KLRs tthan what is already over at the other sites. There is nothing wrong with getting other people's positive thoughts on the KLR from any site. Maybe some have had issues elsewhere and have landed here, I don't care...please join in. I'm not here to judge your personal beliefs or personal issues at other sites.
    I could have started this thread using another name and it wouldn't have mattered...sooner or later mud will fly...it always does.

So, lets try this again....can we.....or are we the only bike on the site that can't seem to get anything positiive going? We are better than that aren't we?:freaky

I again will edit this if everyone will do the same....and we can stay on topic.
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

How do you like the Britannia fairing? I have the full XS, the one they stopped making and love it! One of the best investments I have made to my bike. Love the HIDs!:freaky
  8. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    After posting the last picture I decided to roll the bike out and get a few in it's current condition..............

Still waiting on the new Vance & Hines exhaust,

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      154.1 KB
      Views:
  9. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I offer up a suggestion, find an 08 and up header pipe to get the old version off. It flows better and stays clean longer. Just a suggestion....:freakyPlus they can be found cheap on fleabay on occasion.
  10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    I love the fairing and the lights are the bomb! I'm taking it to Texas between Christmas and New Years to ride Big Bend Ranch State Park and can only hope the fairing withstands, let's say, tundra contact, without too much harm.

I have tall TAG ATV bars on it and need a set of Barkbusters before the trip. Any suggestions?
  11. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

I've been considering replacing it since I have a new exhaust coming. Considered the V&H pipe but $$$. Will the '08 bolt right up?
  12. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any short guy(5'8",30" inseam) tips on making this bike a little more stoplight friendly?

I sat on a couple in dealerships but my lack of legs kinda makes it rough to decide,on the good side I weigh 200 so I get some decent sag :lol3
    JohnnyP3 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes the header pipe will bolt right up where the original one is now....so if the new can is supposed to fit the bike it should fit without issues.....plus they can be gotten cheap at times like I said. Keep an eye out on the other forums for deals too.
    As for bark busters....I just used the ones Rockymountainatv were selling when I bought mine some time ago. They were super cheap and work well. :freaky
  14. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes you can lower the bike by using lowering links, Eagle Mike has them on his website over at .net, great guy to deal with too.
    Plus you can always dish your seat if you still need a few more inches to feel comfortable. If this is your first bike, best to make sure you are comfortable when coming to a stop at the lights etc. the dished Corbin can be had cheap also from time to time secondhand that is. Many people buy them while getting used to the KLR and when confident switch it out for the flat style seat. But you can easily dish the stock seat and add stiffer foam to stop you from bottoming out the foam when sitting on it. The stiffest carpet foam works well for this. I have made a few seats for myself using the carpet foam and once happy with the shape I cover the foam with that material upolsterers use before adding the final fabric(can't remeber what it's called. It just smooths out the look for a better looking finished product.
    Hope that helps....oh ....if you can tippy toe the bike as it is now, either one or both will make it work for sure!:freaky
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not my first bike(but I failed to mention) so thanks for the tips.I am looking to take my Honda CB900f out of commuter duty and replace it with a dual sport that can handle highway/fireroad duties.It's just that DS bikes are taller than what I am used to.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  17. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip up the James Bay Road for next summer. This involves significant pavement riding, and I will likely burn up a set of tires on the trip. The KLR is the natural choice among my bikes because if its simplicity and huge range -- about 400 miles with the IMS and Rotopax can.

I'm thinking of tire choices for the trip. I won't need anything particularly aggressive, but I would like strong and durable. I've run Avon Distanzias in the past, but the last set on my Weestrom were a disappointment.

Any suggestions?

I am also thinking of the Eagle Mike fork brace, so I can drop the front fender down (windy up there), and the Gold Seal cartridge emulators. Are these worth the biscuit for a ride of this nature?
  18. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    I know the fork brace is worth the money, as is most anything from EM,and tire choice depends on what you want to spend. Tourance's are pretty long lived but spendy while IRC's are good for 3-4K but a set is right at $100.00.
  19. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    You might want to check out the Ricor Intiminators, they are easy to install and on sale too.
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a great trip, I did it 2 years ago, it's great to say that you have actually touched the Bay and if you stretch it far enough the Arctic Ocean.....lol. The KLR is a great choice for the trip, with your range, you will have no problems, but make sure you are full at the bottom of the James Bay Road and also the middle of the trek. There is only one gas location but I'm sure you already know this.
    As for tires, I swear by the Kenda 761's. They have great long distance characteristics and wear well if kept to 34 rear 32 front. If you go off road they will work well enough once aired down to maybe 15psi. for non-hi spedd riding. If you for some reason don't air them back up, the front will cup almost instantly.....50kms did my front in and it started cupping at the bottom of the Dempster. Yes I was too tired and lazy to blow them up and road into Dawson City on 12psi on tarmac. They carried me from the Toronto area with 2000kms on them before I left, up to Dawson City, up the Dempster, back to Dawson City , then down the Cassier where the rear was basically bald! I switched in a new rear I carried with me and came home on those tires. I took the front when I got home and reversed it to help slow the cupping, it did and I got the rest of the season out of it and the rear. I gave the set to a friend with maybe 1/4 tread left. Amazing wear for such a cheap tire! My cross country trip was 17,000kms added to the 2000kms before I left and maybe another 4000-5000kms after the trip. Not bad for what $160 a set!!! Avisiouscycle have them on sale once a year for below $100 a set....I bought two sets last sale at $88!!!
    Some will chime in and say they are slippery in the rain, maybe they are a bit, but I slow down in the rain and when going around corners in the wet too.....I don't find them hard to live with at all!
    The fork brace is a great addition too....again Eagle Mike's IMHO...is the best on the market.
    The fork emulators are well worth the cost. I have the indimidators, or whatever they're called in my forks along with progressive springs with 1" of extra spacer hieght. I like my bike to feel stiff. I like to know if the front is planted or not.to each their own again on the length of your spacers. With my set up, I can ride washboards with much more confidence now. The bike doesn't skip helplessly across the road, it's much more managable. Well worth the money. They too come on sale from time to time over at .net where they have a vendor space.

Hope this helps.:freaky
    MVKLR and SmittyBlackstone like this.