Total Control ARC (By Lee Parks)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by outlaws justice, Mar 2, 2011.

1. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    Funny, Guy, when you going to get some classes posted? Get lots of guys in your area. Going to put the Vmax on the track in the spring, How is VIR, maybe I will do it down that way!
  2. rickrwh

rickrwh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I teach with/for Tracy Martin and we're done for the year. It gets too cold or something for Marylanders/Virginians.

I think classes start up in April for next year. I will definitely post 'em up when the schedule is out.

And VIR looks awesome, I haven't ridden it yet but I have ridden Scummit Point before they repaved and it was, let's say, interesting.
  3. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    I have talked to Tracy a lot, Have worked a lot with him, and covered classes for him in the past, have at least a couple to do for him in the coming season as well. We will have to hook up.
  4. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    VIR is a lot of fun, but its also a long way from any population centers. It really requires at least one overnight and likely, two for a 1 day class. Reg Pridmore holds a class there in July. He likes it a lot. I don't have anything with which to compare it, but I will say that I can't imagine more fun on 2 wheels.

If you put together a 2 day class that doesn't require leathers (like Pridmore's class), I would be very interested.
  5. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Currently we offer the Total Control Class in Conjunction with some track days with Tony's Trackdays at NHIS and with Team Arizona. I was thinking of VIR just to do a track day, Want to do some laps on the Vmax at the track.

Also considering trying to set up with some other local organizations to offer Total Control in conjunction with track days and other schools, but working full time limits my ability to coordinate all that.
  6. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    In Conjunction with www.nashvilleriders.com I will be back in the region doing some Level I Total Control Classes, One on March 31st and another on April 1st. If anyone is interested let me know, there is a sign up thread with information over at the Nashville web site. We had a great time with good turn out for the classes held in 2011 hopefully 2012 will be even better.
  7. Fast FOG

Fast FOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the Total Control website, looking at the schedule, some of the dates have "Skills Day" and others have "Skills Drill" listed beside the location. What is the difference?
  8. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
  9. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Classes in Nashville TN. are coming up soon (march 31st and April 1st) Because we have to have a headcount by the end of February to determine how many instructors so if you are interested get on the list and let us know.
  10. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    I wish this was another weekend, I've got plans already for those dates :baldy
  11. whywhyzee

whywhyzee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've signed up for an ARC course this June. I've been riding for a number of years but know I have a lot of room for improvement. After reading the reviews in this thread, I have to say I'm really looking forward to it! I'm in the process of reading the book right now (and wll likely read it 1 or 2 more times before the course). Now I just need the winter season to end so I can get back on two wheels!!:D
  12. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    As of Today the classes are full at six studetns each day with one person already on the waiting list. If we get three more people wanting to attend these dates We will add a second instructor and open the enrollement back up. Would need to know in the next week to make all the necessary arrangement. So if anyone was waiting now would be the time to let me know! If your in the area but not taking the class plese stop by to say hello so I can put some faces with names from here!
  13. rickrwh

rickrwh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you've read through this thread at all you've figured out that I'm one of the instructors for Total Control in MD (and sometimes VA). I'm posting on several websites to see if there is enough interest in running a Total Control trackday class to make it worthwhile. This is just guaging interest but we would probably need at least 12 people signed up for it to go. The class is on a racetrack (probably would be Shenandoah at Summit Point, WV) and it's geared towards riders who have already taken a TC level 1 class. I rode out to CA last week and did the class with Lee at Willow Springs and let me tell you it was a blast.

It's not a free for all like a trackday. You have instructors stationed around the course and you practice specific techniques while being observed. You do 3 lap stints and then come in to a hot pit area for feedback from another instructor then you go out and repeat. When your group isn't out riding the track, you practice some of the parking lot excersises from both the level 1 and level 2 classes with instructor feedback just like the normal classes. We could probably even talk Lee into coming out and participating.

So what say ye? Sound like fun?

Here's what it looked like from the beak of my GSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=011L9p6i8Ck#t=48s
  14. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    I'm game to help out if there is enough interest!
  15. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    Just back from doing a level II in Maryland with Rick. (Nice to finally meet you) Funny thing all the bikes present were either BMW, Triumph, or KTM

Heading to teach a Level I in Manchester N.H. on the 30th and then onto Toronto for Level I and Level II

Rick Did you get that final Drive fixed yet? Made the 500 miles trip home in 7 hours! Kept the BMW running all the way with two stops for gas.
  16. rickrwh

rickrwh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Bowtie76

Bowtie76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Late reply but I would in for this.

Took ARC June of Last year followed by Pridmore's CLASS in July, and my riding has really changed.

Even doing some track days at VIR with NESBA now and can't tell you how much the mechanics learned in ARC have helped.
  18. VaderSS

VaderSS Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer:
    I rode motorcycles in Louisiana and Texas for 20 years, before moving to the SF Bay Area.

I found myself totally out of my element on twisty roads, I simply could not relax and enjoy them.

I purchased the book, Total Control, and that helped me greatly. I was now riding faster and smoother, with much more enjoyment.

I then took the 2-day Total Control ARC, and the very next day, went riding with a group of sport-bike riders, I was at the back of the pack, but I was riding a GL1800 Goldwing, and having a blast. The guys I was riding with were surprised that I was only seconds behind them,

That same weekend, I rode with a road-race instructor who complimented my riding, I've surprised many people at what I can do with a GL1800 since then,

I am also convinced that I have avoided several accidents since then, that would have been unavoidable before.

I feel that the segment on trail-braking alone is worth the money for the whole weekend, but it was all priceless.
  19. db4805

db4805 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the past ten years I have taken (in order) ERC -> Club Track Day -> ERC -> Total Control -> Reg Pridmore Track Day....

I enjoyed all and each one was progressively more challenging I even thought about becoming an instructor. The TC was great but the Pridmore was awesome. While I am glad I took TC, my next 'class' will be another Pridmore or similar track day with oversite.... I guess the moral is 'you never stop learning'.

The TC was good prep for the track day (good basic review on cornering and good intro to suspension), but if you only can do one, I recomend to do a track day as I consider it better value for the money.... YMMV.:thumb