The rarest, most unusual bike you've ever OWNED

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Al Goodwin, Nov 5, 2012.

1. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its more of a moped/peddle bike, but I have a 1948 whizzer that got passed on to me.

Pretty neat old bike, only has 18 original miles on it, but sat in a wet shed for quite a few years.
  2. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish someone would ass me a bike.. Lol3
  3. preppypyro

Oddometer:
    Fixed for ya!
  4. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    A friend had one of these. I always coveted it. I was really bummed when he drove it through a ditch and basically folded it in half on a telephone pole guide wire. I'd love to use that paint scheme on a bike someday.
  5. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30 years ago I went to a garage sale. As I was walking up the driveway a guy was wheeling out what looked to be a pristine Whizzer. As he was going by I asked what he paid for it. $20 he said. When I'm not kicking myself for not being just a bit earlier to the sale I tell myself he was just BSing me on the price.

Chad
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Not outrageously rare or unusual - but you don't see many of them around just the same

It's eminently usable, and both looks and rides as if it were newer than its 19 years. I've always been a fan of the technology but it took 17 years for one to come along within my budget.

[​IMG]
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't going to bother posting in this thread, but didn't realize so few Ducati E900 Elephants were sold here, so I guess I did have a rare bike.
    I do ride a Ural now, at around 1000 sold a year worldwide they are not common, but not really rare, and its predecessors were built by the millions.
  8. German Trick

German Trick Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the 12th one built, completely original. I've owned it 16 years and was very lucky to find it in the condition it's in.
  9. ray h

ray h Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've ridden a Whizzer amny times.
    It was my dad's, he bought it new when he was 14 and I rode it when I was around 12. Restoring it became a project that he and I worked at together in our spare time until my parents got divorced and he left with it. I was talking to him a few years ago and asking him whatever happened to the Whizzer and a few other things I remember fondly growing up (including a numbers matching 9mm German Luger that I was in love with). He told me that he got mad after the divorce and just liquidated everything. What a shame, I hope whoever got the Whizzer finished the resto and is enjoying it.
  10. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My first ride was a R100s in this paint. What a beautiful bike!
  11. preppypyro

Oddometer:
    Wow could you imagine, 20 bucks? IF the guy wasnt BS'n you, that was a steal.

Very cool story! Ive never ridden this one yet as it needs to be completly gone through before I try and start it. The tank on mine was mint (besides the paint) but my uncle that owned it (rip) didnt take very good care of it, left it in a shed that was so rotten it fell down. He liked collecting stuff more then taking care of the stuff he collected.

Were they fun to ride?
  12. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    They're splash lubricated, so make sure everything is OK inside. The weak point is the rod bearing unless you have one of the last ones made that used a roller bearing rod. Overhaul the rear coaster brake, and have spare friction disks for it because you'll need them. They used to use belts with a wire core to prevent stretching, but I don't know what's available today.
  13. BronkoRob

BronkoRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i will play.

have had 3 ATKs. at first i thought they were rare and unusual, but after having 3....maybe not as rare as i thought. but still unusual and always draws a lot of questions.

1994 ATK 605 DSES
    [​IMG]

1989 ATK 604 ES. the bike is fairly rare. i later got an MX tank and seat. way better for the track and looked really cool. i wish i could find a pic with the strange looking MX tank and super long seat that went all the way up to the triples. this had all the cool tricky features of the original ATKs. Rotax motor, countershaft mounted rear disk brake, and crazy chain torque eliminator contraption.

[​IMG]

Current bike. 1997 ATK 605 Dual sport. this falls more into the unusual category. single sided frame, or what you would think is the frame. the down tube and back bone are actually a separate structures from the bottom frame with pegs and subframe.

[​IMG]

As rarity goes. I think my 1974 YZ125A takes that one. was handed down from my dad to me. only seen a handful online, never another one in person. this is my vintage racer.

[​IMG]

and the other rare bike i dont have any good pics of was a 1989 KTM 500 DXC. this bike was insane. i call this rare just because where else can you find a factory stock 65HP 2 stroke?
  14. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    This is my all original 1978 Harley XLH, 75th Anniversary Edition. They made 1,200 of them back in 1978. I wonder how many are left...? The Harley culture seems to promote chopping their bikes up...

Note the 1970's style gold rims. Yep, gold rims straight from the factory.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    LOL, gold rims, just like a Yamaha Midnight Special or Kwacker LTD Spectre :rofl Chrome backer plate come that way too? VERY nice example! The pipe is clean inside.. first day you brought it home?
  16. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Everyone had black and gold bikes in the '70s. Norton, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi.

Our Asian friends were simply following a trend... As usual...
  17. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    :bow Thank you for preserving some of the history. As mentioned, SOOOO many of those bikes have been destroyed. That is just too freakin' cool. If I were at a bike meet, Harleys like yours are the only ones I pay attention to...because they're the most unique (stock). :lol3
  18. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only ever had one I'd consider somewhat rare/unusual and that was a 1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor.

[​IMG]

It was my intro to sporty bikes back about 10 years ago. It was purchased from another member/friend here and I absolutely loved it. My oldest son had just gotten his motorcycle endorsement the year prior and had some miles in on a CX500 when he asked permission to ride it. My only requirement for him was full gear and keep it under 5000 rpm where the power band kicked in. He toddled off down the sidestreet and was gone for about an hour. When he came back, his eyes were like saucers and I fell over laughing, knowing full well he opened it up a bit. That thing had a wicked switchover when it hit.
  19. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    A 2000 Aprillia Pegaso Cube 650. Every time you came out of a store people were standing around it looking at it. The conversation would invariably be "what is that bike"? (It said Aprillia right on it in 3 in letters). Then they would think that was like Mustang to a Ford. "Yes, but who MAKES IT?"

Unfortunately the shop that SOLD IT felt the same way about it:eek1. They had no clue but thought it was a pretty DS bike.
    crk likes this.
  20. riderjohn

riderjohn Tag Sniper

Oddometer:
    I had one of these as well.LOVED it! The only bike that I TRULY regret selling.