Things Dealers tell Customers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ak_diane, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    A bit of a setting for the story. I live in Norway, I'm Polish though. And as friendly of a country this is, there are quite a few xenophobic assholes. Bell curve rule I guess.

I decided to buy the new water cooled GS. So I sent emails to several dealerships asking for a price calculation on the setup I wanted, the estimated delivery date and how much deposit should I pay to get in line for the bike.

Several dealerships answered professionally in a mater of hours. One responded after 3 or 4 days(email by the manager of the dealership):

Seriously ?
  2. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Maybe he thought you were in Poland wanting to buy a bike and didn't want to tie up a bike for someone who lived half way across the continent and may not make it all the way to Finland to pick it up.

If that was the case he could have phrased it so it didn't sound so bad.

Chad
  3. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Things I've heard at dealers over the years that I found entertaining:

Me: What kind of deal will you make me on this bike?
    Dealer: What's it say on the tag?

Me: I have done my research and know I can buy this bike for $xxxx
    Dealer: That's below my cost. I can only go $200 off MSRP.

Me: Do you still have the used ZX-6R?
    Dealer: No, it's sold, but we have a Ninja 650, it's got a bigger engine in it for less money.

Me: $10,000 is a lot of money for a used GS with 92,000 miles
    Dealer: They aren't broken in until they hit 100,000 miles

Me: I'd love to have another Ducati, but the maintenance is a pain
    Dealer: You don't really need to do it that often unless you are racing
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or at least know the difference between air and water cooling...:huh

That is really sad...but hey, on the bright side, they probably paid him peanuts to stand there all day.
  5. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states

Well last I knew oil was a liquid. The early GSXR's were considered liquid cooled, and did so with oil and a large oil cooler, and a huge oil pump. The new Watercooled BMW boxer, mainly cools the head, and relies on air cooling for the cylinders. The oil heads used the same principle, cool the heads with oil, and the Cyl with air.

And technically ALL are air cooled, the water or oil only transfer the heat to a radiator, which an oil cooler is, and air is required to remove that heat. The water does not actually do any cooling, just provides transportation of heat.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't get paid. The locals are volunteers.:deal
  7. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to know my FWD F150 is air cooled. :lol3

8. PFFOG

Oddometer:

If you doubt me, tell you what, put a big sheet of cardboard over the radiator and go for a drive:deal
  9. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    No way, it would block the water flow.

:hide
  10. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Exactly why you see radiator shields on a lot of diesels (pick ups), to restrict the air flow. Allows for the engine to heat more quickly and maintain heat.
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are trying to impress? If you pulled your head out of your ass you'd realize just what I meant.

My XR has oil in it but is listed as an air cooled bike, as are hundreds of other bikes. Tell ya what, you should go bitch to all the vehicle manufactures in the world that sell vehicles with radiators and set them straight. :deal Then maybe I'll start using that description.
  12. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ugh...dealers. I've only been riding for a year and have decided I don't like dealers. I tend to do my research (extensively) before I purchase because I like to know what I'm spending my hard earned money on.

so lets see in the last year
    massive motorcycle mega mall in so cal:
    1) swore that the stock tire for the Magna was great and long lasting (about 6,000 miles). I ended up getting some tires that would do at least 12,000.
    2) When looking for gear for my girlfriend they pointed us to their women's section, about 2 or 3 racks (in a mega mall that prided themselves on being big :huh). Went to a different store that carried a lot more choices for women's gear

Dealer & motorsports store down the street from my house:
    1) Told me the cheap winter gloves w/o armor would protect my hands as much and work far better than a pair of winter gloves with armor because armor adds seams that water can get thru. Went else where and got gloves with armor and water has never got in.
    2) When my girl and I went to sit on bikes to see what I should get next I asked for an FZ6 (I knew they had it) The sales man pulled out a fully faired sportbike and in my mind Im thinking "what the heck is that?" (I didn't know about the new r model and I don't like fully dressed bikes, even my FZ6 is bordering on too much) I ended up pointing out the correct bike to the sales man who said he didn't even know they had it. Turns out the FZ6R and the older FZ6 is quite different.
    3) Went to get a chain. Asked for a 118 link 530 (didn't know I had to buy a 120, a 1st time noob). The sales man goes to get it and when he comes back I confirm that it's a 118 which he replies yes. I get home and cant figure out why the heck its so loose. When I call the shop back I find out that they dont sell chains with 118 links, they come in 120 links. With a bit more digging since they aren't in the mood of giving info I find out they will cut the chain down to size for free. They couldn't have told me this while I was there asking if it was the right length???

End of story: Every time I need parts, to try on gear (or buy it) or tires put on I go to Chaparral. Each time I need something I check the stores closer and end up out there anyways so I just skip the other stores. They have always had parts even once when the yamaha dealer didn't even have the part I needed. They don't care if I work on my bike right there and they are helpful (tho my 1st experience with their customer service sucked, I was completely ignored)
  13. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dumbest post of 2013 so far.
  14. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sure.
  15. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    That is my philosphy also. Like em all and will enjoy riding absolutley anything. I do notice a change in attitude when at HD dealers on something besides their product. I was in complete disagreement with how HD handled Buell so after they parted ways I got rid of the HD and bought another Buell. I now try to stop at every HD dealer I can on it........just because. :D

Stocks HD in Manitowac WI sells New HD and Victory. Interesting choice. Can also get new Hurqvarna there as well. At least you could recently.
  16. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    need less sand in the nether regions

1a- 6,000 miles is a long time for some people. 2x as long as knobby tires on a strom, 3+ years for how most ride.

2a- depending on which source you quote, women make up 10-30 % of motorcyclists. Considering that not all will wear gear, less than 10-30% of the store is reasonable. Glad you found a place with better selection. Here the biggest dealer around might have a rack for dirt and a rack for street. Although it has gotten better than it was a few years ago. Bigger is not necessarily better.

1b- no excuse for this one. I know it can be difficult to find winter gloves with armor due to the bulk. I chalk it up to poor training on gear.

2b- Unless you specifically ask for the used blue fz6 that you saw on cycle trader, don't get upset when they show you the replacement model. Yes they are different, not his fault

3b- also likely a training issue, I would think that most people who are replacing their own chain would also have a chain breaker. I know its wrong to assume, but I bet thats what happened.
  17. PFFOG

Oddometer:

Somebody poop in your Cheerios this morning??

Just adding to the useless blather, with a little food for thought.
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you did with your inane post! :deal
    I'll give it to you though, you did add some useless blather! Was that something a dealer told you? :rofl

Unless you use one of these...

:D :evil :lol3 or :wink: most inmates assume you are/were serious. I'll guarantee if those other inmates hadn't called your post out for what it is your post I am quoting would have been defensive of your stupid post.

Watch out for the brown trout in your cheerios...and that ain't orange juice in your cup! :evil
  19. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok I understnd 2a and 2b was probably a little my fault and I didn't get upset with that one, but for 1a I had specifically told the guy I commute (and the distance) and need tires that will last long and he told me, "oh yeah these will be great."
  20. Reduxalicious

Reduxalicious Or is it?!

Oddometer:
    I was at the local Harley Shop with my dad, He was buying something from mechanic department.. Anyway, I do slow stroll through the showroom floor, stop to look at a V-Rod, suddenly SALESGUYOUTOFNOWHERE!

Him: Nice bike isn't it?
    Me: Yea, Heard it's pretty quick.
    Him: It's more then quick, It's probably one of the fastest street legal motorcycles to date.
    Me: ..Oh?
    Him: Next to the Hayabusa of course.

I kind of just humored him then pretended my Dad was ready to go. :rofl