building a sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by ANKOF, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks. :D

FR700. wasent it yours? that bare metal one with flames on a bmw? cant find it now, really liked that body.

picked up some more material yesterday so I can fix the suspension and fasten everything to the bike.

this is so much fun.
  2. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Yes , that would be mine.

Have fun.

3. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it was cold this weekend, it was very easy to just stay inside and drink coffee. cant fit the bike with the sidecar in my heated shop. didn`t get much work done.
    copied the swing arrangement from the donator bike in CAD and welded everything that was only spot welded before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

started with the stuff that will connect it to the bike.( not sure what all the parts are called.) I will use the clamps on the bike and the bars from the velorex and make new ones on the hack frame. the arc that you can see on the drawing below will double as handle for the passanger and atachment for the top bracket and shock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iì appreciate comments on this, if it looks ok or not. just to make sure I havent missed anything.

you can allso see my new home made muffler. wanted some small supertrapp but they must be made out of gold, this one cost me 40$, and they sound good:D
    [​IMG]
  4. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

To my eye it looks like the bottom of the front one needs to go forward 100 - 150 mm ( adjustable one from near radiator ).

Pretend the back one is not there and what would happen if all the weight of the bike leaned on the sidecar.

If it was mine , I would try to run the rear adjustable from near where the chrome bracket is in front of the side cover and move the bottom forward to just in front of the weld.

Have fun.

5. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes I see what you mean about the front one. thanks. to move the rear ones, at least the bottom one I need a subframe, think I stick with these for now so I can get the bike running as fast as posible. its much work left and with some luck the roads here will be clear from snow in the end of march.
  6. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    took it for a spin today. hard to tell how it handles, there was zero traction. the shock is way to soft. the weight fellt ok.
    feels really nice to have come this far, now I just have to finish it:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Looks good. :thumb
  8. zipper421

zipper421 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. Real nice! I dig it!
  10. DJ1

DJ1 Chopper Jockey

Oddometer:
    and will be lots of fun.
  11. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good looking hack ( and Niva :D )
  12. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    :clap

13. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat job, well done.:clap
  14. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah! its a good looking car, glad you noticed, and I have two of them:rofl
    [​IMG]
  15. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dont know what you call this but Ive done it on all the spot welded joints.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its still to cold outside and I cant wait any longer so Ive rearanged the small "tent" where I usually spray paint guitars so it vill fit the frame and body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the ballons and stuff are left from when my youngest daughter had her birthday party in the workshop. we had candles all over the place, dance floor and disco lights in the spray booth and barbeque in the forge. it was very nice.
  16. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

It's called ' lead wiping '. Old school way of getting a smooth body finish without using auto body filler.

A lost art for the most part so you have my respect :thumb

17. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Would you be a luthier also ? DB
  18. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldnt call my self luthier. I have to little experience and way to much respect for that. for the last 6-7 years I have built about the same amount of electric guitars, I do all wood work from scratch and some metal work, and done repaires on both acoustics and electrics. I have sold two guitars but my focus is on learning the trade and build as good instruments as I possible can. for fun, I cant imaging this will ever replace my day time job.
    and it is fun, it is completely intoxicating
  19. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really nice looking rig. Great job!
  20. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    finished. except for the electric stuff. and like a 1000 more things. drove 40-50km today and it seems to work fine. I will add a sway bar later, the chock works better after I renovate it but still needs a stronger spring.
    I tried to meassure everything when I put it together but Im not sure how it ended up. so Im surprised it works as good as it does.
    its neutral around 80-90km/h and pulls to the right a little at about 110, is that ok or should I increase lean in. I have never driven any other rig than my own so I have nothing to compare with. dont really know what is acceptable, dont want to wrestle with the bike more than necessary
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]