Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hate to point this out but the 100K Topo maps are only point-to-point routable not turn by turn. See line 2 (copied from Garmins site):

Provides detailed digital topographic maps, comparable to 1:100,000 scale USGS maps.
    Includes updated road content, by NAVTEQ (non-routable),
    Contains detailed hydrographic features, including coastlines, lake/river shorelines, wetlands and perennial and seasonal streams.
    Includes searchable points of interests, such as parks, campgrounds, scenic lookouts and picnic sites.
    Provides elevation profile on compatible devices so you can estimate terrain difficulty.
    Contains roads, trails and highways in metropolitan and rural areas so getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible devices.
    Displays national, state and local parks, forests and wilderness areas.

If I understand this correctly it will route as straight line navigation where the 24K Garmin Topo maps WILL route you turn by turn.

Hopefully one the gurus will be along to clarify if I got this all wrong...:huh
  2. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think so: Setup>Altimeter> auto cal = on, baro mode = variable elevation, Pressure Trending = save when power on, Plot type = Elevation/Distance
  3. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the pages you link to: "Includes updated road content, by NAVTEQ (non-routable)"
  4. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are gorgeous!! Unfortunately they haven't gotten around to SE Oregon or SW Idaho yet. :cry
    It will be nice not to have to enable/disable all those individual state maps from GPSFILEDEPOT.
  5. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I NEVER route, so the subtly escaped me.

Never mind.

But wait.
    Don't forget about locking to devices....
  6. Boughton

Boughton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why would someone buy the CNNA (DVD) or any of the maps on DVD which can only be used on one GPS, when they state that you can use the MICRO SD card on multiple GPS?

2nd question~ Are you able to download multi map sets to the GPS or will you need to use an SD card for more space?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I just want to try and get the correct setup the first time.

What is the benefit of buy the DVD verse the SD Card?

Thanks, for all the great info thus far!!
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why buy the DVD and not the uSD or download version, you ask?

If you just purchased the map you wanted on uSD card, and the GPS only accepts one uSD card at a time, any other maps you want to use that do not fit on the GPSr device memory will have to go on a second uSD card, and you will have to swap them each time you want to use the other map, and never will you be able to use them together.

Absolutely!

At least you are asking before the remorse sets in.....
  8. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, you can put multiple maps on a single uSD card. I have the Topo 100k and the US NT maps on my uSD card. I keep the BirdsEye imagery and the Topo 24k on the 650t built-in memory. As long as you change the default names of the map images, you can move them around at will under the Garmin directory, either on the uSD or the unit.

That said, I only buy the download files. I keep a copy of each one in a folder on my hard drive. Works great.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    In theory, yes, but the sd card Garmin puts City Nav on is fairly small, a 2 gig card if memory serves me well, so you can't have much more than the original map on that card.

I do have CNNA on an SD card bought from Garmin and I use it a lot, in my 62S which has 1.7 gigs onboard for the other maps I want to use, so I'm happy with the sd version.

The problem with the sd card version is it can't be updated without buying a whole new card/version. And if you're using it in an antique gps like a 60/76Cx, you can't have any other maps as well since they don't have any onboard ram to store the maps on.
  10. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a theory that you can have multiple maps on a single card. I have multiple maps on my uSD card. I didn't say I used the Garmin uSD card. I said I downloaded the maps.

I fully agree that buying maps on the SD cards is a poor choice.

I was only commenting to one aspect of the previous comment, that implied only one map can be on an SD card.
  11. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I may have asked this before, but...

Does anyone know how the Montana organizes the list of routes? I usually number my routes when I create them on the computer to keep them in order but they seem to come up in random order on the Montana.

Any hints about how to name things so you can find them without going through the whole list?

.........shu
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Boughton mentioned the Garmin SD card, so that's why I mentioned that drawback on the Garmin card.
  13. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not arguing the point. I'm adding information.
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Garmin lists them by proximity. The nearest to you are at the top of the list.

You vill eventually stop vanting any ozer vay. :lol3

Complain. Write Garmin. It's effective at helping you forget how annoying it is. Don't expect it to change, though. We've been asking for that for ages.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    And I'm trying to make the distinction between a map bought on a Garmin sd card and a map download sent to a sd card. So I'm adding info too.
  16. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess you need something to do, all alone in that frozen wasteland. :lol3
  17. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you purchase a Garmin uSD card with pre-installed map, the uSD card will only have just enough memory for the map file, usually leaving on a few mb in reserve.

Garmin does not put a 1.8GB map on a 16GB uSD card.

Of course, if you buy the DVD version and your own 16GB or 32GB uSD card and install the map there, you will have plenty of room for more maps and other files.

No post implied anything contradictory.
  18. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look who's talking...

I see you are from Commierado.

Isn't that where your dear leaders have decided the peasants (you) are not responsible enough to have more than 10 rounds of ammo?

Either you agree, or you should be using your GPS to navigate your way out of there!
  19. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that.

I need a laugh.

:freaky
  20. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:

Speaking of "getting out" - you've never posted in a non-GPS ADV thread? Really?

And, illegal regulations are meant to be ignored.