Toyota trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Anorak, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    A&P lurker. Leading edge slat lube on a 757 at 0100 in December at SFO behind B-29. It was deferred from BOS because of temperature. They would of been in a hanger. We did it outside.
  2. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    That doesn't sound too pleasurable at all.

I spent my fair share of time at B-29, mostly doing lightning strike repairs on nights. That was a long push with a roll-around box. :deal I was a mech. for United in the mid-80's at SFO.

I had to get back to Dock 4 one morning in a rainstorm that had me thinking about animals 2-by-2 and arks and things, and there was 6" of standing water on the ramp as the drains couldn't handle the flow. I'd covered the box with plastic sheet, but it still managed to get a couple of gallons into the drawers.

Back on topic:

My newly-rebuilt 22RE has about 700 miles on it now and is purring like a big ol' kitten!
  3. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    None of that is neccesary, pull r/f wheel, remove access plate, remove 2 bolts holding dip stick tube, unbolt brake line bracket dont disconnect. Turn the starter motor sideways & remove from access hole. I can do it in less than 1 hour. On the 3.4L Tacoma Tbelt, there is a special tool for compressing belt tensioner & inserting a grenade pin. No need to remove a/c compressor. The whole job w w/ pump, new seals takes about 2 hours tops. GRAAAAAVY. The 3.4L also had a head gasket recall, not for leaking internally though. They leaked coolant externally. Recall # X01. 88 -95 3.0L has been issued again, Recall # V06. We are replacing frames on Tacomas & Tundras everday. Recall # 90D. You can blame Dana for that one. Yes, all fuel injected trucks from 1984 & up have an E.C.U. All 4cyl. motors have always been chain motors, earliest had a double row chain, later ones 86 i beleive went to single row bicycle chain. Thats when the chain problems started. If you catch it soon enough you could just replace the tensioner w updated one. I personally have 91 4cyl 2wd deluxe, still hauls ass. 92 4Runner V6 4wd which I got paid to replace the short block in under warranty. Also have 07 Tundra V6 2wd, loaded w the works. Gets better fuel economy than either of my old ones. The new ones ride so much better , & have so much creature comfort. I wouldnt trade for anything less.
  4. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
  5. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, it was a lot of fun. If you're working with the right people, there aren't too many jobs that suck. Changing all the seat cushions on a 707 wasn't fun. It was disgusting. Did you know Kevin Sloan or Vitou Mam? Both airframe inspectors.
  6. PecosBill

PecosBill Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer:

You planning on an trip to one of the poles? :scratch
  7. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Nope.

But there's is always global catastrophic climate change... :lol3

Other than the winter stuff, those trucks, as equipped, would work well anywhere in the world.

Seriously, I want those for our farm in Africa.
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've long lamented that Toyota fails to import a 4cyl 5spd Tacoma to Canada. Few weeks ago I spotted a clean Tacoma on a nearby used car lot and thought "That looks odd."

Swung in to give it a closer look and turns out it's a Texas truck. A '98 with 4wd, 4cyl and 5spd. In really nice shape, too. Whoot!

Had no idea these were available in the US. :dunno

Now that I know I might start keeping one eye on craigslist in a few southwestern US cities.

:patch
  9. PecosBill

PecosBill Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer:

:lol3

I see no practical use for that much tire in non flotation situations.
  10. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Price? Maybe you should have considered it?
  11. HammerMacGreed

HammerMacGreed Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Lornce

Oddometer:
    It's in real nice shape with 123k miles, but they're looking for $7k.

I thought that was a little steep.

:patch
  13. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kevin Sloan sound familiar, but I'm getting old enough that most names do. :rofl

My least favorite job was sheet metal work at the outflow valve on the sanitation system. Our foreman used that little job as punishment for transgressions. I only had to do it once, but never wanted to again.

Doing repairs on a Flying Tigers 747 after it'd hauled several loads of cattle was not nice, either.

I remember one night we had to pull all of the wing panels on a 767 outside of Wide Body. Not a big deal, and mostly a tedious job except for the fact that it was 23 degrees outside and kinda breezy. We had a couple of guys who would run the screw guns into the hangar by bunches and put them under the paint dryer to keep them working. Drilling out those titanium screws after stripping them was tedious.
  14. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a smaller tires then.

But the "look" is just right. And they are the vaunted Toyota Hilux'.

In Africa, they are everywhere. The four wheel drives are the choice of those who have to go where there are no roads, like farms and ranches etc..
  15. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I dropped by yesterday to talk to someone about the '98 4x4 Taco "Texas truck". Seems it really is a Texas truck. Fishy story, though... he didn't have the key... Says he passed it off to another customer believing it belonged to her Toyota... She was due back that evening... Hmmmmn... Weird, because this appears to be a pretty well run, busy, efficient auto repair facility...

But the story just gets weirder...

Owner/operator of the shop says a local guy tried to import the truck from Texas but ran into trouble when the engine started knocking when he got to the border... Hmmmn... He showed me the old engine laying beside the shop... Says it was a wonky counter-balance shaft, nothing serious... But he replaced the engine with a unit sourced from a wrecker with 80k kms... Hmmmmn... I asked "Is the replacement motor from a similar vintage truck?" knowing they didn't import 4cyl Tacos to Canada in the late '90's... "Oh, yes. It was a plug and play"... Hmmmmn...

Oh yea, he also said the guy had troubles because it had a "lift kit" on it. You can't legally import a vehicle from the US with a non standard "lift kit" installed. They removed the lift kit in addition to swapping the motor...

Anyhow, I'm tempted to call him back today to see if the key appeared... The truck does look good... Amazing to see a vehicle from the southern US with absolutely no rust anywhere. Seems surreal.

But I'd really like to speak with the guy who actually brought it up from Texas...

I can guess what the collective opinion around here would be... But this could be fun to shake out.

:evil
  16. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Well, you should be able to figure out what engine it originally had by deciphering the VIN. I wonder if Toyota would have records of it's original sale. It would be too easy to get a Japanese salvage engine or what's called a front cut and swap it though.
  17. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    A Guy I work with had troubles importing a Tacoma recently because of the lift kit as well. He had to uninstall the lift, get it inspected at CDN Tire and then reinstalled the lift kit. As far as 4 cylinder motors in Canada goes you can still by a Tacoma with a 2.7 4 cylinder motor. You can even get it in 4x4 but it has to be the Access Cab. I just checked the website. You won't see to many of them on the lots because they dont sell well and the dealer makes less money on them.
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the things that speaks volumes on Toyota trucks is not being able to find the damn things in junkyards. I went to Crazy Ray's Pull n Pay in Baltimore to score an alternator for my Cherokee. So, just for grins and for about the tenth time since starting my Cherokee rebuild, I looked for a Toyota truck or SUV - any Toyota truck or SUV. I need a plastic bumper part for our 4Runner so I keep looking. But, once again, not a single one. Every make and model I could think of was represented except Toyota. At least I had my pick of Cherokee parts though. They are never lacking for junk Jeeps. :lol3
  19. chasesdad

chasesdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im buying a 2000 tacoma reg cag 4x4 this weekend. were there any issues with this year truck? Frame issues? I also have a 2010 tacoma double cab 4x4 and really like it. I get about 17 mpg on average .
  20. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    A whole 17 mpg. ??? Jeez, the full size big three trucks are getting 15-16!

Tacomas have gotten too damn big and heavy. Can't even get the 4 cyl. in a 4x4 anymore...