Vans!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hayduke, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ghostrider.y2k

ghostrider.y2k ride enything but HD

Oddometer:

2.3L foubanger flathed, no power steering, 4 sp. Made in Poland.
    I had one with 4 cyl diesel from mercedes 240 D. Run much faster but you had to drive with screwdriver in hand to put screws back while riding.
    Those where good days of high school 20 years a go.LOL.
  2. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Want ....

[​IMG]
  3. bdmmotard

bdmmotard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VAN! Anyone got a good source for a 3 person sleeper bench with seatbelts?

[​IMG]
  4. JN3n

JN3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size and brand wheels are on your Sprinter ?
  5. bdmmotard

bdmmotard Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
  8. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
  9. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's ugly but think how practical the fundamental design is. Everywhere else in the
    world that is kinda what they use instead of a long hooded truck.
  10. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of them long Dodges more front room and a better graft job.
    I like!
    :nod
  11. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Not much clearance in them front wheel wells.Fine on straight lines but.....:lol3 Them steps, I hope they stay there, hasn't been my experience with them.They are also a good way for a passenger to step up too fast and whack their head on the door frames.:lol3
  12. boardrider247

boardrider247 Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like it was a RV. I'm guessing the wooden body rotted out.
  13. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    After having the fuel gel on me twice, although I think was the silly VW design with the fuel filter outside the frame, I tend to overthink it...

Made it just fine...well, almost...

Yes, I have blocked the front with a piece of vinyl, matches the colour of the van, although it's still ugly- but did it's job :clap
    I also have a 205 thermostat, installed when I got the van just because I don't like the OEM which cuts in too soon.

The van is insulated- plus was packed to the roof, much better than a curtain- although I regret selling my former cargo van with a heavy duty vinyl curtain that snapped in the roof and sides, plus it had a clear see through window, what for I don't know given it was a cargo with no rear windows.

No probs with the cold, other than stepping outside. But it confirmed that the heater in this van sucks, it should be more powerful/something. Keep in mind I have the rear as well, but given that the air is being blown back in the van through vents along the roof doesn't help much.

I usually complain about dealerships, but there are good ones out there. Fuelled up at some point, and when I took off I knew the serpentine belt is broken/something- no power steering. Checked, and it wasn't broken, just off.

Anyhow, long story short, the NAPA guy called a dealer 20 miles away to make sure they have the belt and someone to install it, then tracked down a guy who owned a local garage, who gave me a follow up Astro driven by his son in case I get stranded while I drove to the dealer- was kind of chilly hence the Astro. The van drove just fine, although I had to keep it under 40mph otherwise the temp would climb- built tough might be true.

The master tech did the fastest belt install I've ever seen, and I've seen 3 thus far. The issue was not the belt, but a pulley which came apart. What are the odds to find a master tech drop what they're doing on a Saturday, a dealer in the middle of the prairies who stocks pulleys for vans that are one in a million around here, and charge me just cost :eek1 :clap :clap Oh, and the shop they have there, going from -20 outside to 70 inside- they sell everything that has wheels on it, from RVs to agri stuff.
    Cropper Motors in Naicam, Sk, rocks :clap

Ko
  14. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, my heater on my 7.3 kicks butt; it will get too hot to take. But, I don't often see that kind of cold here. (you are talking -20F, correct?).
  15. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    This is my second E350 with the 7.3, one a 99, this one an '03- last year for that engine. Love the engine, this one has 180xxx miles, not km, and it runs as good as new- not one drop of oil between oil changes.

The blower was the same on both vans, it works, but it doesn't blow as much air as I'd like- for example, if it's set on defrost, straight to windshield, by the time the air gets to the top of it I can barely feel the air draft, hence it won't melt a frozen windscreen- fast. Was the same on the other one, don't know... And can't really feel the rear one, cause the vents are reaching just above the seats behind driver's.

This tirip was the first time when we drove for a considerable amount of time in cold temps- usually was driving South to Florida :lol3 I had to have it setup for vents because was blowing much warmer air that way.

Anyhow, the average mileage was 11.9mpg, and that included lots of hills, about 75%- kind of low for what I'd like, but decent in NA terms :D I suspect we used at least 1 extra mpg in iddling, the van ran almost 24/7, drove straight with cat naps- coldest was -49F :eek1, with wind.

Pics from this winter drive in Canada:

the combo:

[​IMG]

the pic is focused :lol3 I love prairie roads, although it looks bad it was great driving through that blowing snow, the road is clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at night with stock lights. We were on the road...I hate this type of road, especially going down hill...slippery as hell...

[​IMG]

with the new Rigid Dually flood. I got the flood thinking to use them with the amber covers for inclement weather, but now I'm going to get the driving ones and keep the headlights for inclement weather :lol3

[​IMG]

Ko
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
  17. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    And FWD; no 4WD option of course :huh
    Until they start selling a real van over here, I'll keep importing RHD from Japan thanks.
  18. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
  19. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    While I agree, it'd be nice to not cringe every time you head to the parking lot. :nod

M
  20. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Looks like the bastard love child of a three way between a Sprinter, A Nissan Leaf and the grille off a Dodge pickup.