Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Playing around with augmentations and inversions is always fun. You can get a lot of interesting sounds that way, and if you like a lot of distortion some inversions sounds positively huge.
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went with my Dad to "Killer Vintage" in St. Louis to pick up his 1957 Fender Musicmaster and 1958 Supro 1650T that he had them go over. Holy crap, what a cool shop!

The guitar is cool as hell, but weird to play; 3/4 size feels cramped. :uhoh

The Supro Amp sounds awesome! I think he'll have a lot of fun with that. Planning to gig with it tomorrow night. :thumb

I'll have to get some pics tomorrow. :D
  3. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "less tension" factor will be weird on the strings as well. Cool stuff though.
  4. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have also found that a looper adds more to just the fun level.
  5. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a great shop! I grew up in STL and try to stop by when I'm there. Last time I was at Killer Vintage I bought a Reason Bambino 8w tube amp combo, which is amazing! Handmade, point to point wiring, and a cool "stack" mode than runs the clean and the overdrive channels in series and gives it a completely different sound.

Another good spot in STL is Eddie's Guitars on Manchester Rd. down in Maplewood. I bought my Collings from those guys the day before I bought the Bambino at Killer!

6. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Those Reason amps are amazing. My Dad is considering one.

Killer has a nice Yairi acoustic that I'm really tempted to buy before I fly home :uhoh
  7. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    That Bambino is the loudest 8w amp I've ever heard, and most of the time I keep in switched to 2w, which is plenty loud in my townhome. The guy who started the company and designs their amps is a local engineer who's also a great guitar player.

I'm not sure if he still works there, but Brian Henneman, guitar player, songwriter, and singer for the great alt.country/redneck rock band "The Bottle Rockets" used to be at Killer part-time as a guitar tech. Brian is pretty terrific rhythm player.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pN4L5WjCPvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    I used to play in a band with John Horton, the guy playing lead on the Explorer (I was a drummer then). I really like Brian Henneman's songwriting; I've learned a lot of his songs, probably more than anyone elses. :thumb
  9. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    It was New Patrons of Husbandry, was it?

10. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Going back to the scale talk.. I started studying guitar scales because I thought I could become some guitar genius. I already have years of music theory under my belt and thought I could throw it down on guitar.

A couple months ago, I realized that (almost) every riff/solo is just a pentatonic with the root on your index on the low e. Seriously.. now, why didn't anyone tell me this before?
  11. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    No, although I know all of those guys. My brother-in-law was their bass player, and still plays with some of those guys. :D

John (and I) played in a blues/rock band that my Dad had for awhile. I don't even remember what we called ourselves at that time; mostly played Washington MO/Union/New Haven area.
  12. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:

:lol3

You can get fancy and use "blues" scales, which are basically minor pentatonics with the 3rd and 7th sharped.

You can also play those from the three possition which is the 7th fret A string ...just to change it up lol
  14. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you, some kind of Jazz player? :lol3
  15. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Started playing upright bass and sax :deal
  16. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    You guys seen this? Pretty amazing or at least it is to me, a non guitar player (and owner of two guitars :lol3)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w1Z-V2xey-Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  17. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    My brother is a bass player in STL that plays in a couple of bands. The Hula Poppers, and 710, a Grateful Dead cover band that has been around for at least twenty years.

18. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm a huge fan of properly executed delay. That was pretty cool.

I like all this STL talk. I was playing (drums) in pretty much every club in/around STL (except The Pageant, although I still want to) from 03-06. It's vastly different today; far fewer clubs than there used to be.
  19. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Got that made my forearms hurt just watching.