CRFEX500R Supermotocommuterfighter-bike

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by NeverEnoughcc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here is my attempt at making what I want---I typed up a few paragraphs explaining why, but then just backspaced it all, it doesn't matter what I explain about it. I'm building what I want and I'm sure many of you here will understand, and if not, IGNF.
    ------------------------
    Dirtbike rolling chassis-CHECK.
    17" wheels- CHECK.
    6speed transmission motor- CHECK.
    Cheap, plentiful, and easily beat on motor that can take hauls down a highway- CHECK.

-------------------------
    Step one- Start with cleared off bench.
    [​IMG]

Step two- acquire motorcycle, and be pleasantly surprised it has 2-1 SS full exhaust system.
    [​IMG]

Step three- unload motorcycle out of truck. (2005 EX500 with 5k miles on it)
    [​IMG]

Step four- eyeball and continue with more measurements
    [​IMG]

Step five- unbolt and toss motor up on workbench.
    [​IMG]

Step six- chop and start fitting frame.
    [​IMG]

hmmm close...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step...Uhhhh oh. problems....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the end of day one....just for kicks and giggles and grins :clap
    [​IMG]
  2. racer43

racer43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed ! :lurk
  3. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Keep up the good work. We'll be watching.

I have a KTM 640 frame and 450SMR suspension sitting in the garage to do something similar with when time allows.

Though I'm thinking of a GSXR600 or CBR600 engine transplant. :evil
  4. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    While I can appreciate the desire for a lightweight twin in a supermoto chassis and the imagination involved in Frankensteining these two machines together, I think you should consider the facts that Kawasaki never intended that engine to be a stressed member of the chassis and Honda always intended that frame to be a cradle. That being said, carry on you crazy bastadge.
  5. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha yeah you are completely right on that that it is two completely different styled mounting, which definitely could lead to some strength issues...I've still got a few plans of bringing the mounting styles to how they should be.
    Also it should be noted that this will be a 90% asphalt ridden bike, with dirt and gravel roads happening just for fun exploring.

But I shall as you suggest....carry on!:freaky
  6. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is so far how I was able to best get the motor to fit, with the chain line 100% perfect.
    Problem with the motor here is it is mounted forward in the frame more than I would like it to be, but I run into alignment issues with the chain if I move it rearward since there are clearance issues with the carbs between the frame rails and also with the valve covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----
    Rough idea I have on how to do the front mounts.
    -Make a one piece cradle to go from the two bolt holes on the frame around the motor and down to the front engine mounts and back up the other side of the bike (it's symmetrical)
    -And then it isn't displayed very well, but the top mount I am thinking weld two tubes to the frame near the steering stem to triangulate the mount and have it be gusseted, and then connect to that mount with another bracket holding the motor up from the those two bolts in the head of the motor.

-----I am quite open to ideas on how to best do the front/top mounting of this motor, MSpaint away if you wish!:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

And then I made up some quick bracket/tabs for the bottom rear motor mount so I can at least get the motor bolted in the rear and then I will jig it up in the front so I can put wheels on this bad boy to see how the motor actually sits in the chassis once it is on the ground.
    [​IMG]

(I'm aware this bottom one here is not an ideal load bearing design lol)
    [​IMG]
  7. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Goal for the weekend was to throw wheels on it and see how it roughly sits- 2x4 rear shock and all.
    Goal accomplished in about 3hrs, rear motor mounts went pretty quickly and then just had to grab wheels and throw whatever fit between them.

So first thing was tossing wheels on it.
    [​IMG]

Then I picked it up and set it down off that bench by myself. Brute strength lol :lift

[​IMG]

Motor looks like it sits a bit more forward in the frame than I would like in this picture, but if you look at the next one, it actually is tucked in there fairly close on the other side.
    [​IMG]

Sprocket and chain line are DEAD on. Motor also feels and looks to sit quite low and the weight seems to feel very nice and NOT top heavy at all.
    [​IMG]

First end goal will be to get this bike on the road as quickly as I can...which means leaving things as close to stock as possible, so I'll probably be running the exhaust like so.
    ---FYI----Wheels on it when it first goes down the road will probably be spoke SM CRF wheels for ease of fitment.
    [​IMG]

----------
    Top and bottom rear engine mounts, should also be getting tied into the swingarm pivot bolt VIA steel plate.... if it all fits... which will make the engine mounting incredibly solid.

I'm thinking about doing something like this for the front motor mounts.
    [​IMG]

------------
    and if you guys a suckers/lovers for frankenstein builds.
    Here is another one of my current builds.
    It is a zx600c chassis with a cbr900rr motor, ZXR swinger, 900rr front forks with dirty bars, and GSXR wheels all around.
    [​IMG]

Here is my most recent 95% finished bike. A 1979 CX500 that has been modernized.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is another a past bike I built, 900rr chassis with SSSA, and a blackbird 1137cc motor stuffed inside.
    [​IMG]
  8. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple quick thoughts:

You need a second span from the steering head to the swinger pivot somehow. The crf frame is going to want to bend in half, otherwise. Look at the 900rr frame rails to see how massive things should be.

Countersprocket is pretty far from pivot point so the chain will have an appetite for the swingers

Is it 'front heavy'?

I like the cx bike
  9. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JOEL!!! I didnt know you were on ADVrider?
  10. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep indeed, I am working at figuring out how to best strengthen the whole frame.
    Motor also will still be moved further back, I just threw on quick tabs on the bottom of the motor so I could swing the motor up and put it all on wheels to get a better view of everything.

haha whats up doooood? You healing that foot up ok? Lol I've been on ADVrider for quite awhile but only as a lurker, I love checking out the amazing trips and pictures on here.
  11. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Foot is still pretty banged up. its getting better... slowly.

I'll be following this project for sure, gonna be badddddasssss.
  12. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol good deal, we will have to meet up again and get some trail riding in, I plan on getting a set of knobbies for this project for some "light" trail riding with it!
    --------------

More shall be coming soon on this build. I've got the entire frame/motor mounts done and drawn up and I also purchased a bunch of PVC and some wood this morning for the prototype :clap

First thing is actual rear motor mounts, working at a one piece design for both top and bottom rear motor mounts.
    I had about 5hrs of sleep, I'm too excited to get this thing bolted up!:wings:*sip*:wings
  13. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I have been putting alot of work in on the SV, dependng on how that goes I could ride it out and we could meet up somewhere and do some dirt riding.
  14. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put on the DW gloves yesterday and did some CRAZZZZYYY progress....Idk if you guy are ready for this....

--------------------

-----

--------------
    ----
    ------------------------
    -----
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    I made a wooden box!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG! lol
    :huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And then I brought that box my mini-garage, and all a sudden my EX500 motor jumped onto it and said

IF I FITS, I SITS!
    [​IMG]

Then I did some more fiddling with the frame and I got this artsy farty picture.....that shows sprocket and swingarm bolt location in a very nice spot....3.5" center to center.
    [​IMG]
  15. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Before you get too comfy with the current engine location, pop the springs out of the forks and see how close they get to the engine & exhaust @ full compression.
  16. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motor isnt staying in the same location as posted in the rolling chassis pics, that was just to get a rough idea of how things will be and to see what I needed for clearance.
    Wheel will clear when all said and done :)
  17. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    UPDATE-
    Woohoo! I got the rear motor mounts all designed up and roughly done with PVC and wood, and the front sprocket and swingarm pivot bolt are 4" center to center.

Seriously so excited to get my rear motor mount bracket done and posted up on here, it is gonna look so sexy!:clap:clap Eventually it will be remade with chromoly, but first bracket will be mild steel as everything gets designed and fabbed up.
    Once the rear motor mounts are done then I'll go back to figuring out the front end/cradle section, but one step at time!
  18. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bottom rear motor mount..... I'll get it all welded up later once I figure out the bracing design that I will be incorporating with the top rear motor mount.

[​IMG]

perfect spacer between tube and swingarm pivot bolt.
    [​IMG]

"bolted on"
    [​IMG]

3.75" center to center....and level how it should be best.
    [​IMG]

Annnnd the next piece to the puzzle...not sure yet how I wanna make it.
    [​IMG]
  19. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got some suspension bits in the mail today, so now I was able to DW.

[​IMG]

Then worked on the top rear motor mounts....made it all in PVC and cardboard first, then made sparks.

Now before anyone goes off on what they see as being weak, just wait.....this will all be ridiculously gusseted and reinforced. Things are also cut a bit oversized to allow for easier welding, once it is all done it should be looking pretty factory and like a one piece "cast" piece, all smoothed out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacked stuff up.
    [​IMG]

Filed things flat to have the closest tolerances possible.
    [​IMG]

Finished tacked product...fits like a glove and slides right onto the frame.
    [​IMG]
  20. NeverEnoughcc

NeverEnoughcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well I'm back from vacation, time to get back to things.