The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't see why not but I'm still digesting all that lithium battery stuff. Their certainly is a considerable amount of weight to be saved thats for sure.

See links below...yeah....to much to read. :D Therefore I'll stick with the proven lead/acid/AGM technology for now.

Shorai Motorcycle Battery vs. Ballistic Motorcycle Battery Comparison - webBikeWorld

http://www.batterybusiness.com.au/products/lithium

Shorai LFX14A1-BS12 Battery - £129.95

Ballistic Battery 12V LiFePO4 8 Cell EVO 2

Vehicle Replacement Batteries for Motorcycles, ATV, Watercraft, Snowmobile, Utility Vehicle

Ballistic Battery 12V LiFePO4 EVO 2 Review - YouTube

Ballistic Battery EVO2 Review at Motochanic.com - YouTube

Shorai Lightweight Motorcycle Battery Review - Make your motorcycle 4 pounds lighter. - YouTube
  2. ROYMACNIC

ROYMACNIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, anybody in the UK had an RD04 shock rebuilt? I've got a few possibilities to have this done but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations,where you have had a good service or anybody that should be avoided,thanks, Roy.
  3. La Case

La Case Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. La Case

La Case Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and my Half-build AT Rallye, 'll be paint soon

[​IMG]
  5. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    This is an RD03 shock that was completely rebuilt back to new by Clarence at PLR Suspension. Excellent chap who really knows what he's doing :thumb

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
  6. ROYMACNIC

ROYMACNIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Stormforce8,thats just what I'm looking for.
  7. The Apostle

The Apostle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found an advertisement for a used AT converted to 960cc with the use of a crank (not sure if translation is OK) from Varadero. Is that possible ????
  8. Schelbi

Schelbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is the advertisement? If it's in Germany I can check translation for you.
  9. The Apostle

The Apostle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is here in Greece. Using google translate greek to english says "crank".
    But is it possible to have 960cc to an AT ?????
  10. KT1

KT1 RD07A - A like Adventure

Oddometer:
  11. Schelbi

Schelbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sound like a joke :wink: Maybe too much :1drink

the AT has a stroke of 72mm, Varadero has only 66mm!

Together with the bore of 81mm of the AT you get 680ccm :clap

The other way is the AT stroke with the Varadero bore. That means 1086ccm but I can not believe that this is possible!

A company in Germany called Thiel Motoren offers tuning with pistons up to 90mm. That way you get up to 916ccm.
  12. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    What is "possible" may not really be "practical" in everyday use.

I've read that the Honda engineers thought that the RD07/750 size was the largest practical application for this engine type. The type was originally designed as a 500cc engine.

Increasing bore or stroke or a combination of these will certainly give you a larger displacement but at what expense? More heat, reduced reliability, increased vibration not able to be balanced out at the crankshaft

Remember there are no counterbalancers in this engine.

Then you will also get into performance problems/alterations with intake aiflow, carburetor size/type and jetting.

There are many who believe that the 650 or 600 cc version (RD03 or Transalp) of this engine was the best over-all balance between power, vibration, heat output and reliability.
  13. ujeni

ujeni just doesn't get it

Oddometer:
    After more than eight months of waiting, I have successfully imported a 1989 RD03 into California! Here's the story...

I finished my RD07a rebuild project just over a year ago. While chatting with Stormforce8 about some parts, I casually mentioned that I dreamt of owning an RD03 some day. Little did I know that he would remember that comment...three months later, he called back to say that a mutual friend of ours had one for sale in Ireland. I contacted my friend in Ireland, got pictures of the bike and agreed on a price. The bike would stay with him until Stormforce8 and I had figured out all of the paperwork. An RD03 in my garage!! I was very excited to own the first Africa Twin model as my fellow AT nuts can imagine.

The seller, Stormforce8 and I spent the next seven months tracking down the paperwork, speaking to experts and assuring ourselves that the plan would work. The biggest win came when we figured out that indeed the bike had to be 21 years or older to get past the DOT and the EPA. Stormforce8 bravely dealt with Honda UK to obtain an official Year of Manufacture Certificate (YOM), while I worked out the shipping. By early January everything was in place and the bike was trailered to the port in Ireland. The bike was crated professionally by James Cargo and put on a boat. I hired the folks at Vantage Point to help me with all the customs paperwork.

A month later the container arrived in San Francisco and I was told I could pick it up...

The warehouse (my bike is somewhere in there):

[​IMG]

I explained to the people at the warehouse that I didn't have a truck to put the crate in; I planned to take it out of the crate, get it running and drive it home two hours away (registration was already in progress thanks to Donna Leek and insurance was sorted). They looked at me like I was nuts but agreed to bring the crate down to the parking lot. Here's my bike be backed down a ramp backwards :eek1

[​IMG]

Hey look, there's an RD03 in there!

[​IMG]

After 30 days in transit, the battery was flat. It also took some time to get the fuel system working properly. An hour later the bike was ready to be ridden home:

[​IMG]

Now its at home with its younger brother:

[​IMG]

The plan is to ride the bike for a year or so and then do a full restoration. First impression is that the XRV650 is many of the things I liked about the 89 Transalp (smooth engine, lighter and narrower) with many of the things I love about the RD07a (longer range, longer suspension and a beefier build).

Big, big thanks to Stormforce8 (a real asset to the Africa Twin community, plus he sells some great stuff at Rugged Roads). If anyone is interested in importing an Africa Twin into the US I am happy to tell you how I did it. Send me a PM.

Hope to meet up with other AT owners this summer if possible! See you guys out there! :freaky
  14. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Excellent Work.

Donna's a Peach.

The warehouse looks like something from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It's a forklift so it's really going forward when it's going backwards.

OK, so who's next?

:y0!
  15. ninety

ninety Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    congrats on the new bike,UJENI. i too just bought another A.T. it's the same year as my other 2 . i think I'll have the biggest collection of 1993 AT'S around. this one is the UGLY color scheme ( green/ purple). i changed my last one to black but might keep this one original. the bodywork looks to be in great shape and even if the tank has a dent or two i have a perfect one from my other bike.

SO, WHEN AND WHERE ARE WE A.T. FANATICS GETTING TOGETHER AGAIN????
    ANYONE HAS AN IDEA OR PLAN?? MAKE IT CENTRAL AS WE DO HAVE SOME A.T'S EAST OF COLORADO

north rider
  17. JGalt

JGalt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is amazing. Glad you got straight on all of the paperwork. Jonathan is also a jewel.
  18. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Id be happy just to get a AT wing arm:D
  19. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Good job! It looks very intact from here and not abused at all. Definitely a classic ya got there. :evil
  20. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    Very happy to finally see the bike landed in California :clap

A surprisingly painful journey to get the correct paperwork from Honda UK.............this was their hilarious first attempt.........(address & ident numbers removed :evil ) - showing that Ujeni was taking receipt of a very young RD03...:D (I know it is in excellent condition both aesthetically and mechanically - but this is taking it a bit far.......:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 )

[​IMG]