Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    HAHA! I could put your phone into wireless access point mode, and hook up the xbox to it, and still have better network performance than my home internet! :huh :cry

2. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    i don't get it- why pay the early termination fee? if you're going to switch to another phone, just stay on the same carrier and switch phones...
  3. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    i get my home mail on the android and recently a crap trojan email made it thru the spam filter. an email from somebody i've never heard of -re: check this out followed by a website in france. so if i open it in windows i get attacked. but what happens if I open it on my phone? nothing? or phooked? i'm not going to open it. i'm just curious if android would be boogered by a windows virus..
  4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Android isn't windows.

It's like opening a "bad" webpage on a Mac (actually, more like Linux).

Android viruses are out there... a lot harder to "catch" one of those than on windows. You've gotta download and install a bad app before it can do anything... read the reviews and check the permissions before you go installing anything.
  5. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of just going back to my old flip phone and it doesn't require the same plan as this did. It would be cheaper to just pay the ETF and go to a pay as you go plan.

I could find a used smartphone already on the sprint network and just switch it to that I guess. Or, switch to another carrier who is willing to pay my early termination fee and get the same thing on their network for about $150.
    Wife and kids plan ends next month, then I was going to upgrade this plan and get all four phones on sprint. :lobby
  6. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Why Sprint?
  7. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    How much is early termination? Looks like getting a new screen installed is a bit over $200. That's steep, but I guess that's how it goes with new phones. A new screen for my droid is around $18. . . . . . but ya get what ya pay for, I guess.
  8. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    did you get just a little too angry with the birds? or put it in your back pocket with a crescent wrench?
  9. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Swapped half a day's pay for an old HTC HD2 from the company I casual for (who've just gone to Iphone 4s') to replace my own Nokia "semi-smart" phone - dumped the WinMo6.5 crap OS and flashed Android 2.3.7 onto it. It's gone from a useless, confusing and difficult to use pocket weight into a brilliant device full of useful apps and surprises. What a great swap. Never done any phone reprogramming before but followed a few online guides without bricking the unit. Really glad I took the risk. :rayof Found some really great apps (Angry Birds :lol3 is going to waste a lot of free time, along with Google Maps/Earth). Has anyone found a really good Wi-Fi management App, to make finding/using wi-fi hotspots easy, or isn't it necessary?
  10. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    It's the only service that works at the house. I got tired of walking up the hill to talk on verizon.

$350. New screen for $200, or buy a used one for $250 off craigslist. Now I'm leaning towards an older smartphone off craigslist, say $50, and put it on this account. In two months when the wife and kids contract with verizon runs out, give it to the kid and get me another latest and greatest.

Fell out of my shirt pocket when I bent over to pick up a screwdriver. Landed perfectly flat on its face on the concrete floor. Supposedly it's the second most popular smartphone in the world, yet otterbox doesn't make a case for it. :baldy
  11. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    Love them or hate them, that's one thing that the iPhone has going for it. There are almost an embarrasing amount of cases, accessories and gizmo's available for them.
  12. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pre-ordered the note last weekend. Reviews online are pretty decent. 5.3 inch 720p amoled screen, dual core snapdragon processor, 1 gb ram, and microsd slot. Battery life is good for the international version, not sure about the LTE version I ordered. Should arrive Friday, really anxious to see it. Played with a pre production model, and love the screen and functionality. Anyone else order one?
  13. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was not in love with my Nexus, I would be all over that Note. Specs are great and the stylus is a nice bonus if you ever need it. I am going to recommend to my construction clients.

14. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how people can function with limited data plans on a 4G phone.

I decided to download all the podcasts I like and since I have unlimited data I said fuck it let's see what 4G can do.....and in no time I had 1.27 GB of them :eek1
  15. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because I have wifi at home and at work? :dunno

Which leaves the only time I really use cellular data being when i'm out on the road. Streaming music, occasional websites, look up a phone number, maybe some google maps use...

In a "normal" month, streaming music for an hour or two a day, occasional tethering, and the usual email downloads all add up to about half a gig. If I really try to kill it I can; stream music all day, turn off wifi at work (don't get shit for service at home), browse toxic britney or ride reports on it.... I've gotten the 1.8GB/2.0GB message alert. But man, you've really gotta try to kill that data.

We'll see how I do this month; travelling the next two weeks with limited wifi service so I suspect I'll be doing a fair amount of tethering.
  16. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :scratch what is "tethering?"
  17. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Using your phone for an internet connection for your computer.
  18. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    why not get a crappy flip phone and switch your plan? or do the contracts now specify that you need to stay on a smartphone plan for the length of your contract?
  19. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    yep.

New plan- buy a used galaxy to replace this, then sell it as is with damaged screen. Should be able to pull it off for $100 total.
    And when kids plan is up in April, she inherits this, and I get that note. :deal
  20. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Our contracts are up in a week. I'll be phone shopping. Suggestions? Remember, I ride a KLR.