XS650 Appresh

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by buffaloborn, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    OK I'm haveing a hick-up with pamco...

I now have 1,000 miles on my 81 motor in a 77D the motor has 16,000. We did nothing to the motor in the way of rebuild.
    I put on a pamco ign during the motor swap and now have a bind in the advance. Or at least after further inspection the bind is on the rod at the bushings through the cam.

My advance began not returning.
    All new advance from mikes, bushes and all including pamco have 1,000 miles on them. It was springing fine when we installed it and now this is the first time I've gone back to look at it cause I was perceiving some sluggishness while pulling up hill.

So we took a look, sure enough not returning. Took the nut off the rod right side, no change. removed rod's little cam under bobbers. Bobbers fine. went ahead and pulled the rod, looks fine, reinstalled with lube...binding again.
    Pulled rod out again and tapped at bushes to see they were seated and flush, no iterfearance, reinstalled...binding.
    Took the rod out again and looked closer for wear where the high spots ride the bushes. Nothing wrong there, but you can perceive a shinny area 1/4" from the left side thingy?? magnet?
    So we took fine sand paper and cleaned up the surfaces where they ride the bush. Better now, returning bob weights.

BUT, you know the rod has some end float when it's installed, and if you tap the rod's play all the way to the right from the left side it's more binding. (most of which is now aleaviated)

When you tap the play to the left by tapping on the right side to end of travel, she's free as a bird.

General consensis please?
    Sand a little more?
  2. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Normally the headlight does not come on until the engine starts. That is the preferred way because there is more voltage available to the ignition. If you want the light to come on with the key, you would have to bypass the safety relay contacts.
  3. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yes the XS 650 has to have all the juice going to the starter!!! :puke1:cry:ear:clap:freaky:deal:wink::lol3:eek1
  4. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Haven't had that problem with the Pamco system, had a pin drop out on the left-hand side [pick-up pin], sounds like you've got it sussed though
    Cheers
    Baza
  5. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, my 78SE is wired (from the factory) so that I can have the headlight on with the engine off, if I wish. My bike has a "Headlight" switch that bypasses the safety relay. I leave the "Headlight" switch off normally, so my headlight stays off during starting, and once started the safety relay turns the headlight on automatically.

The "Headlight" switch was deleted by Yamaha on 79 to 83 models:(: I wonder how much money they saved by doing that???
  6. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Sorry people, haven't been able to use my Smugmug for a few days & I can't workout what's going on?
    Cheers
    Baza
  7. dungspreader

dungspreader King of the Heap

Oddometer:
    Did a bit of work on the 79 Special , fitting a Spirit of America , Eagle sidecar . All the old fittings had rusted out and had to be remade . The frame is rather small and it was a struggle to fit the mounts and leave room for the exhaust and still be able to kickstart the bike
    [​IMG].
  8. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Lookin' good dungspreader, keep the photos coming :rofl
    Cheers
    Baza
  9. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:

Getting the mounts to clear the exhaust can be quite a chore. I think I am going to run a set of pipes that exit the left side from GordonScott to eliminate the problem.Just cant decide if I want to go with high-pipes or a 2-1 low setup.

I am getting close to getting my sidecar rig ready for the road. Most of the fab work is complete. I just need to bolt the carbs on and beef up the front forks. I cant decide what to to about sidecovers. Number plate or the originals? What do you think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. dungspreader

Oddometer:
    The copilot is getting impatient !
    [​IMG]
  11. dungspreader

Oddometer:
  12. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff :clap:clap:clap especially since I'm considering a similar project. Did you build the suspesion on the hack? Would love a couple of pics in this area and an idea on what parts you used.

I also have a furry partner just waiting for me to get off my duff.

Thanks,
    Jack

13. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    That's a big dog! sure the hack is gunna be big enough?
    Cheers
    Baza
  14. dungspreader

Oddometer:
    Here you go !

[​IMG]

I didn't fabricate the suspension , it's standard for that sidecar .
    Very simple to make though , just two shafts [ axles ] joined in a kinda Z shape with taper roller bearings . One end holds the wheel hub which is free to rotate. At the other end the shaft is welded to the frame and it's outer tube rotates to provide the suspension movement via an arm which is attached to a motorcycle coil shock .
    It's a lightweight unit for a lightweight sidecar , if I was to build one , I would beef it up a bit .

You could make a similar set up with two trailer hubs .

If all goes well with this unit , I plan to build a larger sidear for my Vstrom , similar to the excellent Aussie self made sidecars that we see on Advrider .
  15. dungspreader

Oddometer:
    The chair is rated at 250 lbs capacity .
    She informs me that she is 85 lbs of svelte German Shepherd and doesn't take kindly to remarks about her size . [ It's just her winter coat ]

Pictures of tub to follow when it stops bloody snowing !
  16. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Some of those are great units but wait 'til you have to dig one out of a bog or sand! :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza
  17. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks alot!!!

Jack

18. dungspreader

Oddometer:
    Yeh , I can imagine .
    That's what mates are for .:freaky

One of the reasons for mounting a chair on the Vstrom was beause I don't like picking it up . :muutt
    So maybe we'll have to carry a shovel and one of those handy chainsaw winches .
  19. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    One of the nicer outfits around, belongs to ADV inmate called Clancy from down Melbourne [Victoria] way, photo @ 2010 OCR @Wanaaring NSW :freaky
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Baza
  20. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    That is a nice rig. You fellows down south seem to have the best hacks anywhere. At first glance I thought the 3 tubes on the front lid were some kind of rocket launchers, The ultimate ADV accessory.

Got my XS fired up today. Spending a little extra time on the carbs paid off. Started up with a little bit of choke, No leaks , And it idles now as well. Just need to chase down a couple of electrical demons and tighten everything up and I will be ready for a road test.