Inside engine pen markers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by indr, Feb 8, 2013.

1. indr

indr .

Oddometer:
  2. chacha

chacha CAT Herder

Oddometer:
  3. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anti-tamper lacquer, link.
  4. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I've used a regular ol' paint pen many times, and the marks are always still there next time around.

Nail polish is also incredibly durable. And it comes in all sorts of nifty colors. Check the sale bins in the drugstore next time you're bored.
  5. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Like any other paint, surface prep is critical. That said, nail polish works great and will last near forever in the motor.
  6. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    torque seal ?
    Not really a paint but it's used to show if a fastener has loosened.
  7. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if it's really a good idea to use this inside an engine -- it's basically designed to flake off easily if there's any movement between the fasteners at all. The flakes probably wouldn't hurt anything before they end up in a strainer or a filter, but...

I have some torque-seal in a few different colors, but I only use it on stuff outside of the engine. Also, it's sort of pointless to use the stuff in a place that's not easy to see.
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Scratch marks with my trusty old awl. I use them before so I can realign things I don't want to change. I always find them later, well in line with each other.

Works well on the road if just to retorque things at close to the previously set torque.No need to carry a torque wrench...altough some seem to want to do that from another thread.:evil:rofl

Dismantling a lot of similar parts, punch marks just like grandpa and probably with his center punch, I'll look next time probably has "his" mark on it. 1 to 1....2 to 2 and on and on.You can sort of code them if you don't want to do like 8 to 8. Sure saves lining up the parts on the bench and cleaning one by one so you don't mix them.

Probably even in my pretty old mechanic's books that, the punching marks.:wink: