Groundbreaking News that will turn the motorcycle world upside down!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Eddy Alvarez, Mar 26, 2013.

1. amos100

amos100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be a bit irrelevant when compared to what you like to ride.

After riding various brands I keep coming back to BMW because I like the way they ride.

I've also learned that with other "motorized" products.

Had two Seadoos once and sold them and got a Yamaha. The Yamaha never gave me any trouble. The Seadoos did. If I were to buy another pwc, I'd buy a Seadoo. Way more fun and performance.
  2. GusinCA

GusinCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, but has your bike been without any breakdowns over those years? Not that I expect a Yamaha to go that long either, but still, I've found them to be almost unbreakable...
  3. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    As an ancient piece of machinery it is high maintannce but it's easy, obvious and cheap helped by great parts availability both OEM and after market.
    It does need attention sometimes during an actual ride.

It's stopped once on me due to a dodgy relay in the ignition circut.
    Not immobile just too much of a hassle to ride when safe storage, easy recovery and alternate transportation was available.

In my 20s I developed a management strategy for Yamahas.
    The protocols transferd well to Kawasakis & Honda
    It involved ride, weld, sell, replace & repeat.

With Ducs and Laverdas I could not break them ,
    They were way too fast beating me to the puch every time and self destructing before I could do any real damage.:D

I do acknowlwdge modern Yamahas appear to be a superior product but they still feel like a disposable consumer item to me.

Good luck with the fleet.
  4. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Hah suck it bmw!! My Kawasaki kicks your ass!!
  5. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:

As a 990 /Tenere /K1200GT owner, it is clear to me that the first Motorcycle to blow white exhaust smoke out of the Sistine Chapel's chimney will be God's motorcycle the Devine KTM.

The KTM speaks to me, the owner, like no other motorcycle I have owned. Before the Tenere, when I had to ride across the continent and just had to get there I always rode the KTM in lieu of the BMW.

Consumer Reports is where i turn to buy appliances like fridges, washers and cars. Motorcycles are visceral and there are so many uncontrolled variables. This is the first year of their study, and from what I have read they could have done their research in any bar or on Adventure Rider. The data will get better in the years to come.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    KLR, right?:lol3

Jim :brow

Edit:

Guess not!
  7. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Japanese bikes are more reliable? this is news?:lol3
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Nope but the ones owned by the people polled had less problems. Too many holes in the story to jump to the bold claim made in the title. :deal

Were all of the bikes broken in using the very same technique or the best technique suited to each brand and model ?

How many miles were placed on each bike ?

Were all the bikes of similar age and mileage ?

Did each bike from each manufacturer undergo the same level of maintenance ?

Were the bikes that had problems modified in any way mechanically ?

How was each bike ridden (relaxed pace/aggressively?) and where ?

Did any of the bikes sit for long periods of time ?

When the bikes did break down were they able to get parts/service quickly ?

Which brands were the most difficult to get parts/service for ?

How was Consumer reports able to verify any of this ?

etc,etc,etc..... :ear
  9. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I miss my 990 :cry

1911fan
  10. Mrs1911fan

Mrs1911fan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I miss my Moto Guzzi :cry CRAP...are we going to have to buy two more bikes?? .... smaller house, bigger garage!!!

Mrs1911fan
  11. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.... Perhaps we need to do our own study. How's about we get a trip to Alaska, and have one or more of each bike involved?

I'll ride the 990 R for testing...
  12. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is funny how different people see things different. If you have ever competed a consumer reports owners survey there is a lot of room for opinion, not facts. The question is have you ever had a serious problem with your bike. I have owned 2 Hondas, combined 50,000 miles. 1 with a serious problems that was a rear wheel bearing. The thing that made it serious was it took the dealer 2 weeks to repair and I had to cancel a trip. I have had 2 Yamaha bikes no problems 2 kawa no problem and 2 beemers with 175,000 miles & no problems. I still think Japanese bike have better reliability but not as easy to fix. I however chose to ride what makes me feel the best. BMW!!!!
  13. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing I find interesting is the fact that they did a similar survey a few months ago on CARS. The BMW came up DEAD LAST, followed closly behind by VW. I can attest to the validity of the data... having a son who bought a brand new VW and had nothing but trouble with it from day 1. What's up with German engineering??? They used to make some of the best stuff.

Otherwise, no surprise that HD and other non-Japanese bikes are less reliable.
  14. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised our favorite HD salesman hasn't chimed in on this subject.

He's a great guy, and frankly I don't blame him for trying to make a sale, but he swears HD is the best bike on the road.

In fact, we just had this conversation the other day. I told him I'm interested in a Yamaha Star, and he tried talking me into an HD FHXDKXWDGSDS or whatever they're called.

:deal

Sorry, DAKEZ.

:norton
  15. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every time I read something like this I thank doG that I got the only good one out of the thousands built. R1200GS bought new in September of 2004 and has 117370 trouble-free miles so far. Rear shock puked the oil out at 24k, replaced on warranty and an output shaft seal and a final drive seal replaced at regular service. She still has the original clutch and final drive probably due to being owned by a "mature" rider. [​IMG]
  16. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to Japanese bikes reliability, BMW or Italian makes either but I've owned and ridden a bunch of Harleys and one Buell since 1970 and only had one bike strand me one time. A wheel bearing failure on my 2010 Road King. At 16,000 miles. That sorta pissed me off, last thing I'd expect to have let go at 16K. 90 miles from the nearest Harley dealer over Independence Pass, in a nice drizzling rain.
  17. FJ Fun

FJ Fun Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer:
    Clinton, Ar......The edge of Twisty Heaven
    At least you have your priorities in order!

:D
  18. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the truth.

I sold a KLR one time that I had put lots of miles on and really over-maintained and loved. I knew everything about that bike and as I was selling it I took the time to explain all the detailed maintenance and upgrades I had done. The guy buying the bike listened to my whole explanation and then said that he didn't do much maintenance. He said he generally changed the oil in stuff every few years and didn't buy into the hype of all the other things. WTH? As I watched the bike leave on a trailer it felt like I was selling one of my kids into indentured servitude.

My relationship with bikes is different. I bond with things and enjoy doing maintenance and keeping up with them. If there is a new noise or vibration I usually pick up on it right away and fix it. That is part of the ownership experience for me.
  19. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    It is all a question of priorities. I never bought a vehicle based on its consumer report and reliability. I buy them for the fun of driving/riding them or for their utility.
  20. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuck them all consumer rating surveyors!

I think I can get better response from the riders of that particular bike.

I am just going to cruise on my Agusyamabemhonda now!