Yamaha WR250R Threadfest

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gjcarving, Nov 23, 2013.

1. oldoval

oldoval Your Ad Here

Oddometer:
    I posted something on a similar thread before, but yeah, I've somewhat regretted buying my WR.

The biggest issue I have is with the way the bike makes it's power. It's not the outright number that is the problem but rather in how the engine makes that number. It really has no bottom end. Come up to a rock or root that you want to catch some air off of, and unless you are way up in the revs, you end up just slamming it with the front wheel. You have to ride the bike like a small bore two stroke. Fall off the "pipe" and you're dead in the water. This gets tiring even for a somewhat aggressive rider like myself.

I've had other 250 four strokes that were much more enjoyable. My XR250 probably made less power than the WR but it had torque right off the bottom that would allow a rider to lift the front with just a blip of the throttle. I think the old school suspension on the XR was actually much better too. The rear shock on the WR is atrocious.

The other issue I have is fueling. If the WR is a model for fuel injection, then I would rather go back to carbs. Again, fall off that sweet spot in the power and the engine stutters and spits.

I'll probably throw on a pipe and fuel programmer this winter. If that doesn't warm me up to the bike, then I'm afraid it's going on the block.
    Tank Girl Oz likes this.
  2. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    and i think anyone who is Dumb enough to ride that much high way has a very boring life...

i'll happily do a lap of Australia on this over the DR650:pot
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I just switched from a 200 KTM that was somewhat of a buzzer to get it to climb steep stuff, and went to the new 300,took a while to realize how much more I could relax and just ride instead of shifting and buzzing the engine.
    My older 200's had more low end for sure,the newer they get the more of a racebike they are.

Ryan Vilipoto's dad told us on a dualsport ride that when Ryan was racing 250's............2 hours was the engine life,cases are suspect at that point,anything could fail. Not a big issue for Team Kawi. 20,000.00 was the price then for a top 250 4 stroke engine with ALL the bells and whistles.

Its good they quit racing 2 strokes where most anybody could afford to keep one going.
  4. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    We dont all live in Tasmania,America is huge with many places to go. I enjoy all sorts of riding and Id rather ride then haul a bike any day at all.
    It does sort of stick in my craw to load a dual purpose bike up and haul it somewhere to ride it. Seems more of an adventure to ride the thing no matter the pain or suffering.

+Its also sort of neat to ride right along at the same pace as the fancy high falutin zippidy doo dah 450/525/530 4 strokes,and sometimes zap em coming into corners. Then loan em fuel later so they can make it down the trail,its just fun.

My 2 stroke goes in the truck happily,it is what it is.

:happay:happay:happay
    New Blue likes this.
  5. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because it was under water. I have heard of one other rebuild due to a big bore kit. Two rebuilds total that I've ever heard of. Two!
  6. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I regret buying a WR/R? not one bit! did it earn a permanent spot in the stable, hell NO! I really enjoyed the bike but it definitely fell short for me on a few things. I rode everything from short stints on 4 lane, to chasing two strokes on singletrack. It did it all without a hiccup, wasnt spectacular at any one thing and wasnt horrendous at any one thing.

Short comings for me were:
    Overall weight---got to be a bit much for ME on a long trail day.
    Lower ground clearance than I was used too---Hit pegs a lot in rocky sections. Made double log crossing a pain.
    Power delivery-I had to ride it more like a 2 stroke than I did my two strokes. :lol3
    lack of grunt to loft the front end at will. No Bottom end, had to plan ahead for log crossings, ditches, wash outs, etc. Come around a corner at speed and find a wash out and there was no power left in reserve to Immediately loft the front over the obstacle.
    Rear shock-scooting around on back roads and it was ok, start pushing it on a trail and then the lack of rebound damping was straight up dangerous. It would buck up and smack ya in the ass, had to keep my butt on the rear fender.

I loved the fact it was a Gas & go bike, super low maintenance like most yamahas. With 2" rox risers it was SUPER comfortable while standing. Easily the most comfy bike I have had in that regard.

I had the full fmf exhaust and programmer. Fully desmogged, 13/47 gearing, big IMS tank, etc...

Fuel economy was OK, the way I rode it I averaged between 42 and 48 mpg.

It was a great bike, it just didnt gel with my riding style and terrain.
    savetosave likes this.
  7. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the op has been answered in spades.

I just love regret, because it feeds the used market with not just wr's , but just about any bike. Give me the half- price creampuffs, i'll be happy.

I remember back in the 80's i rode with a couple, the woman was always spouting off: "bmw's are the best motorcycles" too bad for her she didn't have one. Also too bad for her she let it get in the way of enjoying what she did have.
  8. palada

palada Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    It seems like a lot of riders from dirt riding backgrounds dont like the wrr. I come from a street riding background. I bought an f800gs thinking it could go anywhere. Stop laughing. The point is I knew jack about offroad and had no experience on a light mx/enduro bike. I bought a wrr to complement my 800, and for my riding style, which is easy single track and fire roads, it's fantastic. It's down on power and you have to ring it's neck to get what power it has. It took me a while to get used to that, but now I love it.
    Since I have no plans to take it on gnarly singletrack or try to hillclimb it, I'm perfectly happy with it. I've ridden it 300 miles to get to a ride, and though that wasn't a ton of fun, it wasn't torture either.

Conclusion: no regrets :)

fat fingered on Tapatalk 2
    Tank Girl Oz likes this.
  9. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    To answer the question, I don't regret it. I've never owned another motorcycle. I'm a beginner and I've definitely taken the WRR on gnarly singletrack and done a couple of scary muddy hillclimbs.

I would definitely like to try something lighter at some point, though. I can see how that would be more fun.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Which many 4t EXCs are subjected to on any given weekend. That was the point. Run them in the same manner, you do the same work at a minimum on the WRR. I've held both a KTM piston in my hands and a DRZ400 piston and I'd rather trust the KTM part to be quite honest. I'm sure the WR250R piston is the same.

There is no shortage of riders trying to boost the WR250R to KTM levels of performance with pipes, tuners, suspension mods, everything. Many eventually move to a KTM and see the difference is staggering. I read it here all the time.

Now, go read the KTM 525 as an adventure bike thread. Add a cush hub is the big debate and they just keep loading them and riding them.

Doesn't mean the KTMs are the best choice for everyone, but neither is the WR250R.
  11. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    At a minimum? Really? I've read a whole lot of threads by people who have beaten the hell out of WRRs and put a ton of miles on them, and I've still heard of two total engine rebuilds. And many high mileage engines. But you say this based on holding a DRZ piston? Seems pretty silly.
  12. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a 450EXC and a WR250R. I went from a KLR650 to the WRR. I liked it much better. I put quite a few miles on the WRR & found a sitting 05 450EXC. Of course I had to buy it and tag it.:D
    They are much different bikes. They each have their own place. I enjoy riding to unmaintained/gravel road rides on the WRR. Probably not much to most, but I've done 600 miles in a day on the WRR. I would not want to do that on the KTM. Obviously the KTM has much better suspension and more power, there is no argument. My KTM stinks on the highway, its setup for gravel/dirt, not pavement. It will go over 100mph on gravel, not a chance of over 80 on the WRR. I have to work at wheelies on the WRR, I have to control the throttle to not wheelie the KTM.
    I am happy I own a WRR, it fills a niche, it may be the best current all around, but not great at anything, bike out there at this time. To me it is a better KLR. If you forced me o only keep one bike that I currently own, it would probably be the WRR. It best fits the type of riding I do. If I was a dirt biker at heart I'd probably go with the KTM.
    RTWstare likes this.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

No, I say it based on having had a WR250r in the family in 2008 and running 520/525/530 KTM EXCs in everything from MX and enduros to supermoto racing, DSing and street riding since 2002.

Silly indeed. :1drink
  14. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since your DR experience is night and day different than mine, makes me wonder whether yours had an issue. Mine was nearly vibe-free at highway speed, far less that the BMW parallel twin I test rode, for example.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Youve pretty much nailed it,Ive done trips on dirt roads where a DR650 doesnt hold me back one bit,cruises 75mph on even roughish dirt/gravel roads if needed and is all day comfortable. And no worries about how many hours pile up on it,it just goes. Doesnt vibrate,gets great mileage,Ive learned how to slide corners with it.

I would think Im wasting a 520/525/530 on such a ride and they are just not easy to make comfortable for long days. Granted money has been spent to make my DR work for such things but most bikes are that way.
    And a DR can pull out on the hiway and be just as at home,very handy.

For technical thrashing obviously a KTM is much,much better but I usually sneak through somehow.

Maybe more fun to ride a slow bike fast then the other way.
  16. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll slap my 17" wheels on the big bore 09 EXC610 and meet you for a nice 200 mile loop of NY state if you are available. I won't bother checking my valves before, during of after the ride. :lol3
  18. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to. I am in Syracuse. :freaky
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    NJ border here, and it is snowing! Glad I rode it this morning, so I better go pull the gear box for inspection! :lol3

We will hook up for sure! I've got the keys to a nice lil MX track in Plattekill!
  20. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome, come spring! Kids were out sledding today and I was going to do some burnouts in the snow, but I was worried about maintenance. :D