The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    you have either #4 or #5, not both.

laramie :beer
  2. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    you're spark arestor screen has been removed from the end cap. along with the defuser tube. the screen i would want but not the tube.
  3. brixr400

brixr400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    why?
  4. brixr400

brixr400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you laramie!
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I practice my sliding technique every time I take my DRZe out,it loves to go sideways every chance it gets,as do I. People complain about the flying dust and rocks but thats what dirtbikes are for! I and my DRZe recently rode a 400 mile dualsport ride to the nor cal coast and back with a friend on a XR400,we took turns leading and sliding all over the road.............Great fun!
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I agree,thats why I bought a plated 2001 DRZe,it tends to last a while,has the button,goes pretty good with out changing a bunch of stuff.+it was cheap initially.
    The newer design 4 strokes just dont hang together long enough. Honda needs to come up with a new dualsport bike that is a long lived good running 450 or so in size that doesnt weigh 340 lbs .
    Or just update the 400XR some and sell that.
  7. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking that I need to SM the xr. I just need to justify the cost of new wheels, disks, etc..
  8. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    anytime I see a XR in the SM mode, I can't help but think about the classic movie American Graffitti and the part where Terry the toad is out driving Steve's beautiful car and someone pulls up and says, "is that you driving that beautiful car? What a waste of machinery!"

I reckon a XR would make a fine SM..but it was designed as a trail bike, and to see a XR made into a sleek street whore saddens me a little and I can't help but remark, "what a waste of machinery!"...just my thoughts..carry on gentlemen..
  9. IronSpadeCycles

IronSpadeCycles Button Pusher

Oddometer:
    I second that notion Doc! After logging 5200 miles in 29 days I've come to the conclusion that the XR4 internal gearing was never designed for street use, sure its capable, but try riding this bike for any length of time at engine speeds over 6500 RPM and you start to hear very odd internal engine noises that can't be good. Although my motor held up to the abuse, I just know I've shortened her trail life considerably. I did change the cam bearings about mid trip as I had a feeling they were going away, and well they were only about $10 each. These engines might redline at 8000 but if you ride it at anywhere near 7500 for more than 10 seconds you can feel things coming apart under you, its not a liberating experience.

[​IMG]

You want a SM go buy a KTM-525, that bike will do 110mph in stock form, I know cause I've done it on my buddies and it was a little scary!
  10. Switchblade315

Oddometer:

the screen makes it's legal where you need a spark arestor to go. The defuser tube just restricts it. it's the first mod anyone does to open the bike up. pulling it out and pulling the rubber snorkel out of the top of the airbox.
  11. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    :poser

You have not seen my XR. sleek street whore nah!, more like a beat to crap street walker. I don't ride it enough and I was looking at a way of riding it more.
  12. zen rider

zen rider veteran rider

Oddometer:
    For me getting another bike is exciting but a process of elimination. I've owned MX 2-strokes, a KLR650, an XR650L and a slew of other bikes. My other current bike is a Wee Strom that I just can't take the off road riding I really like to do ... and I've tried tires, suspension but ground clearance issues, aluminum rims and weight are real barriers. So I want a lighter dirt bike I can DS and I want dry weight way less than a DRZ400S. I came close to getting a KDX200 which was very fun and wheelied like a champ but was too loud at start-up and cannot be titled in VT (nothing under 300cc) and therefore I could not transfer to NY title. If it was just for dirt I'd have taken that KDX. Also was looking at XR250R or L. Considered the CRF230f but all these smaller bikes have same trouble with titling. In the end for the money it had to be either an XR400 or DRZ400E and I am not a brand snob and have owned several Hondas and Suzukis that have served me equally well. The XR I found was cheap and local whereas the 400E was neither. Due to maintenance schedules and price I ruled out newer high performance bikes. While I'd love the WR250R, the price is a deterrent and I know I'd dump $$ into big bore kits and such. So the ole XR or DRZ400E still made sense to me in the final hour of my one month search.

Just picked up my XR400r last week. Sold my XR650L last summer and miss it but wanted something lighter and have always had my eye on these bikes. Its a 1999 all stock except snorkel had been removed and Excel wheels 21/18 were added (I assume they are not original) and it didn't smoke or leak oil. No cracks in plastic or stock header/muffler. On test ride it started the way people say (kick with comp/choke 10 or so), then TDC no decomp and it started on third kick. Pulled like a torquey mule. Forks were way soft and not smooth but tires, chain, sprockets, pivot bearings, and rear brake pads were all fairly new. Asking price was $800, paid $700 cash and trailered it away five minutes after the test ride. I plan to put a few hundred in it to make it trail ready and a couple hundred more to DS it, as I immediatly registered it in VT.

It had a few minor issues: dirty, bars a little bent and rusted, clutch cable frayed, white tank with no decals had yellowed some, forks need springs and fresh oil, carb probably dirty/jetting off ... none of this added up to much money in needed repairs. And hey the stainless headers are under all that dried mud.

Started the overhaul with the following:
    good cleaning and fine steel wool on tank and header (SS cleaned up great)
    Re-jetted cleaned the carb (using Dave's mods as guide)
    drained gas tank, disassembled shut off valve, cleaned and re-installed
    Twin Air filter (though will order a Uni because I don't like the Twin's reliance on OEM metal cage/screen)
    Protaper 7/8 ATV hi-bar gray (have same on Wee Strom)
    new levers in black
    installed new clutch cable - lubed
    had to re-route the decomp and clutch cables under frame due to high and wide bars
    lubed throttle and decom cable
    touched up/repainted worn areas of frame, kick stand, front brake master with matching spray
    painted R-sided engine case cover/exhaust shield and some areas of frame near drain plug with high temp paint

The following parts have been ordered but not installed yet:
    new shut-off valve screen and new O-ring/gasket (inside of tank) - old one looked damaged and O-ring at its wear limit
    Tusk alum barkbusters
    Tusk billet alum gas cap
    new plug
    fresh oil/filter
    will check valves soon
    ordered Race Tech .46 fork springs and have fresh 5W Showa/Honda oil (I weigh 220 lbs)
    new Factory Effex OEM replica 1999 tank decals
    new Polisport rear fender and MMX headlight
    Tusk dual sport kit with blinkers on handguards
    Guts racing seat foam Med- stock ht (will use OEM sear cover) as it was mushy and worn

I do not plan to ride the street much. Just a bike to connect trails. Longer DS rides will be trailered to the starting poiint. Hope to hear from some happy XR4 owners.
  13. ClimbingAZ

ClimbingAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a cheap (like under $50) speedometer for my XR400. Tried doing a search of this thread and didn't find too much info. Doesn't have to be fancy....just something to tell me how fast I'm going while DS'ing and tracking my miles. I noticed Baja Designs sells a round analog gauge but it's north of $70. Any ideas for something cheaper?
  14. Czechsix

Czechsix Slower than you....

Oddometer:
    If you want the analog, keep looking for it used, or on eBay. If you just need a speedo that's cheap, head on over to wally world and pick up a digital bicycle speedo and hook that up, works fine. I use a GPS receiver for speed readouts - actually a few GPS receivers..one for speed and odo, one for routing on road and trip info, and one for off road tracking and mapping...:huh

IAC, digital speedo for a bicycle works fine.
  15. Ace100

Ace100 Monkeywrencher

Oddometer:
    I think a photo of your setup is in order :eek1
  16. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I got one I will sell ya..$20 and I pay the shipping..
  17. ClimbingAZ

ClimbingAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interested! Is it a round analog speedo or some sort of stock unit from a different bike?
  18. hellfire76

hellfire76 haphazard adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys that have dualsported your XR's, what tooth count sprockets are you running? I am looking to be able to roll along at 50mph with out reving to snot out of it. Just wanted to know you guys have found to a good gearing setup so I have a starting point. Thanks
  19. farrington300

farrington300 No wait....What?

Oddometer:
    For 50mph I would stick with stock gearing 15/45. When looking for longer legs I go with 16/45.
  20. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
    I'm putting a XR400R front end on my 82 XL500R I'm going to run the stock XL speedo. I'll let you know how well it works. will be done in the next week or so.