A Ktm 690e for riding two-up

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by yusuf, Jan 17, 2013.

1. yusuf

yusuf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear friends, actually I own a F800GS which is really a good bike in general. But I would like to go back to the thumper world. I have owned previously two old xt 550 yamaha end more recently a great Xchallenge. I don't want to buy the same bike (I mean the Xchallenge), I would like to try to buy a ktm 690e (enduro). I like to travel two-up in most of the cases, but usually we don't travel more than 200 km of radius. I know the 690e isn't a GS but I would prefer to have less comfort than a heavy bike.

The question is: to improve the 690 two-up comfort is it enough to modify the seat and the rear foot pegs position?

There are any other issues concerning the aim in your opinion?

Many many thanks for all the informations you will send me.

yus
  2. Adanac rider

Adanac rider Washed up Jack of all trades . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, A 690e is an awesomebike for...one. I sold a klr and set up a 690 with Renazco seat, Lynx fairing and a Ktm quick release tail bag( back rest). We have a klr again, It is under powered, but just a lot more comfortable and forgiving.
  3. Ironwood

Ironwood Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer:
    Did you ride your Challenge 2-up? If so then how did it work for you? Joe
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    my opinion - its not the bike for two up riding. The power is there but the comfort for both rider and pillion if seriously lacking. The 690 is a very special bike with exceptional power and handling for its class but two up is just a waste of its talents....like using an RC8 R as a commuter bike :dunno

I have taken my wife for the odd spin on mine. shes not very big but still complains about being squezzed for room and it becomes uncomfortable after an hour or so. I have modified the stock seat for more comfort but thats all.
  5. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thumper that can really be ridden two-up is the KLR-650. It is the only one with the frame and seat.

The KTM 640 ADV, the old NX-650 Dominator (and the XL-650), and the DR-650 with a custom saddle (see the DR650 thread) are the only other ones that seem to come close.

None of the Enduro race bikes (even the TE-610/630) have the frames and the ergos.

Read a lot of threads, ride a lot of bikes. Make up your own mind.
  6. yusuf

yusuf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did the experience riding two-up on a xchallenge. We got a modified seat. It was not so bad, of course for short trips (200 km max per day). My question was: could the 690 be a bit better than the Xchallenge for the scope?
    Ty.
    yus
  7. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    No.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new BMW/Husqvarna 650 is an awesome platform for 2 up. I sat on one, (210 lbs, 6'-01") with a test passenger of 5-11, 235 and it was spacious. I think it will be the only real option for a true 2 up single. I tried the KLR for that task in 2000, woefully inadequete and not enough room either. Very uncomfortable.
  9. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost anything can be done to make a bike into a 2 up bike. I built up a DR 650 for riding the Trans America Trail 2up. I lengthed the seat base by 70mm and ended up with a seat made by Russell Day Long seats. It is awesome. Suspension and lots of other mods to.
    [​IMG]
    I have closely studied the 690. Its main problem for 2 up is the lack of a subframe, the rear section is the plastic fuel tank whose mounting points aren't good. there is a fix for that but I dont think it would survive long term with the extra weight. With some clever engineering, I reckon a subframe could be made for it.
    I had a look at the Husky Terra, the suspension travel isn't much on it, but again, that could be rectified. Its proably not much lighter than your GS800 though.
    Will KTM build a neat 800 ?
    Here are pics of a 690 seat from the Russell site
    [​IMG]
  10. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" and lean at 200lbs my wife is 5'6" and tiny and I could take her around town on the 690 but it would be uncomfortable for both as there isn't a lot of room. I get that comfort is an individual thing but I really don't think the 690 lends itself to regular two up riding. It's capable for sure, I personally wouldn't be overly worried about the subframe but the bike's ergos are just not very roomy. That said we've sat on the bike together but we have not ridden two up on my 690 so my opinions are best guess based on having sat on together and having applied what I know about riding around two up on our other bike. I'd say your pillion will get to look at the back of your helment when she's not banging hers helmet into yours. She'll be trying to shift forward so she doesn't feel like she is falling off the back. The seat is pretty neutral, good for you as you have bars to hold onto but your passenger will not. A cruise has a bit of a tilt to the rear, a sport bike tilts forward and both place the passenger up a little higher (normally) A neutral position for your passenger will be tiring with nothing to hold on to except you which brings back the point about banging helmets. As the passenger will be directly behind and not sitting perch up a little higher I can only imagine that her helmet will catch a lot of disturbed air at any speed over 60km/h meaning her neck is going to get sore trying to hold her head straight in the buffeting wind.

Just some things to think about. If there wasn't a couple of feet of snow down I'd try out my theory and tell you but there is no way in hell my wife is going riding in -20C weather :D
  11. yusuf

yusuf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much guys!
    Great support. Very interesting the seat made by Russel. Do they have a website?

Greetings!
  12. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, http://www.day-long.com/gallery_Sports_Bikes.html the 690 they have as a 590 and is in the Sport section
  13. yusuf

yusuf Adventurer

Oddometer: