Wirehaired fox terrier (any owners here?)

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kokopelli, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about getting a dog again. We had an Airedale years ago, but now we want something a little smaller.

We have a large fenced section. However, the dog would be alone during working hours for three days of the week. I am able to exercise the dog in the morning and the evening for at least 30 minutes each time.

What do you guys think, is this viable?
  2. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    We had one when we were kids. Craziest fookin dog there ever was. Terrified almost everyone in the neighborhood. It made a devil dog look like a lap dog. Probably had a brain tumor.
  3. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Terrier is the politically correct word for Terrorist :deal

My neighbor has a Jack Russel and I told her that her dog was a terrorist..........
  4. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I has a smooth-coated fox terrier.

Wonderful around people but she would attack any dog that came near her to the point where I would only walk her when I knew there were no other neighbours out with their dogs. We adopted her as an adult so who knows what kind of trauma it suffered.

My infant son (at the time) would thoroughly abuse the dog and she just took it in stride.
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. I know they are little shits, like I said we had an Airdedale. As for the shedding, regular brushing and pulling out the old fur, should minimise that.

What I am really trying to find out, if a foxy can be left at home for up to eight hours, three days a week, without going nuts. I am thinking of setting up an outside kennel for these periods. The rest of the time he can be inside and of course sleep inside. I just don't think they can be trusted alone inside.

On the other hand, I don't want him howling all day and upsetting the neighbours.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Requires constant attention. Be sure you/the family are up for that.
  7. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    We have a dog door to a fenced area for our (non fox terrier) dogs. In our case it is the best of both worlds. I'm sure it can be the worst of both for some.
  8. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
    We had one when I was a kid. Smart as a whip, but man that dog had energy. It was like he was on a sugar coated caffeine high.
  9. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Jack Russell is fine left home alone all day, IF he is with my other dog. He loses his shit and destroys the house if i take my beagle somewhere and leave him at home. Even if I'm out in the garage and my beagle follows me, the Jack Russell flips out when he realizes his buddy is gone. He's not really my dog, hes my dog's dog.

Since he learned how to be a dog from the from one of the laziest hound dogs in the world, he really doesn't act like a terrier at all. Sleeps 22 hours a day, isn't bouncing off the walls for the other 2. Eat, shit, sleep, repeat.
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    A Fox Terrier is the smallest dog I have ever seen dig a hole big enough to bury a motorcycle in...and that was in 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure they could dig under a fence quite easily. On the plus side, they are faster than cats, so you'll never find cat shit in the yard. :lol3

Have you considered a wire haired terrier? They are smaller than the Airedale, but of similar temperament.
  11. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    My Dad had one. Fucking crazy is an understatement!
  12. PaddedHat

PaddedHat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LMAO reading this shit. We have a six month old Cairn Terrier. We apparently mistakenly thought we were buying a domesticated animal. We have had a Westie for eight years now, and that fuzzy little bugger has always been as classy as the queen of England compared to this feral, high speed demolition machine. In the last week it chewed the rubber pad off of the E-brake in the motorhome, and chewed a hole through a memory foam mattress topper that we had purchased the day before. When I enter a room and the little bastard is leaving like a Japanese bullet train, I know that it's not going to end well. This dog has two speeds, fast enough to be a blur, and full stop. We are currently at a seasonal campground, and all we ever hear is how cute the little bastard is, and we are constantly laughing at the stupid stuff she does, but wow, it's got to be easier to raise bear cubs, FFS.
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    While it was quite funny reading all this, it's not the encouragement I was hoping for. I like terriers, but it's a 15 year commitment. Maybe I need to stick with Airedales.

Mind you, they are very active as well. Ours grew up when he was 10 and died four years later. They are really tough and don't seem to react to injuries, so you have to keep an eye on them.

I guess I am open to suggestions.
  14. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had them when I was a kid..every fucking one was suicidal...two jumped fence..hit on highway within a hundred yards of each other...

Crazy mother fuckers...
  15. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started a thread in here maybe a year or ago heavily complaining about my neighbors Westie Terrier that I often watch, walk, and hang out with. Man, was he annoying, but in the time since, he's mellowed a lot. They do need a goodly amount of attention and companionship. He also has a supremely mellow mutt older dog (10 yo) who's been some kind of role model. From going from something I did not like at all he's pretty great. You can leave him in the house, with his buddy, pretty much all day and he's fine. I am not sure all terriers are like Westies, maybe some are worse, but he turned out, now at three, to be pretty good, and for a terrier, excellent. He does have a lot of breed specific health problems though, costing my neighbors, including purchase, around 10k. That shit there isn't for me. Good luck.
  16. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Wire hair terrier. My wife grew up with one. Before I even finished describing this thread, she was saying "wire hair". Calm, smart, protective, highly obedient.

[​IMG]
  17. sharkmotorcycle

sharkmotorcycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding one exception I would suggest Labrador, being intelligent its also very gentle breed. Owned once & had very sweet memories of it never have any problem leaving it for few working hours.
  18. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    My neighbors had one for 7 or 8 months. Absolutely the craziest dog ever. My Schnauzer loved to play with him. The WHFT(Wire Haired Fox Terrier) ran away at least 40 times in 6 months. Always returned by extremely kind souls. They had a wire border fence. The shock collar didn't phase this dog. They put 2 shock collars on him. Still didn't phase him.The family had 3 small children and a really older dog. The dogs fought too much. Murphy was shipped off to a family with 5 children. They had 2 or 3 other dogs. My dog is almost 6 years old. I really wanted the fox terrier ....My wife and I spend a bunch of time with our dog. The WHFT would have been a full time job unto itself.
    I don' care for male dogs. My last 2 dogs have been females. If the WHFT had been a female...it would have been at my home. All terriers are terrorists.

Les
  19. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love Labs, I'm on my third. I think a very close second is my German Shorthaired Pointer (don't tell him he's 2nd). BUT I have room for big dogs.

Mine stay with me when I am home, but I have a large kennel they sre in when I'm away. I've had someone watch them for up to 3 weeks there with out any problems.

I had a Jack Russell long before they became popular. I like it because it didn't act like a small dog. They are also more work than a big dog.

My preference will always be towards a hunting breed, they have lots of energy but will calme down and chill with you.
  20. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    ...since you have asked...

I'll throw out a recommendation for a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

Perhaps the least terroristic of the T-breed. Not completely free from all of the craziness, but substantially less batshit crazy that JRT's etc.

A touch smaller than an Airedale...smart enough that you begin talking to yourself...loving and uber-loyal. Great with kids (...at least in my / our experience).

Non-shed!

Not much for watersports...or retrieving stuff. But will play "tug" all day long. By far the smartest dog I've ever had...and playful beyond compare. Just keep them exercised and life is good. No exercise? They'll find something to amuse themselves...which you might not appreciate!

Good with other dogs...but I would probably avoid having more than one of the same gender in the pack. (fixed) males?...probably be OK. Two (or more) females of like ages? Might have some drama. One of each? No issues!

If I don't get another Wheatie...I'll look up a standard poodle. Another great dog...almost as smart as a Wheatie, but an even better / more well-rounded "sporting" dog. Good in water etc. Also non-shed / hypo-allergenic.