Aerostich 'armor'....

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SF_Rider, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SF_Rider

SF_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am curious what peoples opinions are regarding the armor used in Aerostich's gear is TF3 technical armor. Is this stuff legit? I have force field armor in my leather jacket. That material feels very good and solid. The Aerostich armor feels more like a foam cushion with a small piece of hard plastic glued to the outside.

Anyone have any exp. thoughts, input on this subject?

thanks.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would trust the Aerostich TF3 over most CE rated armor out there in a heartbeat. Ride mag. did a test several years ago on CE armor. A cheese sandwich passed.:huh
  3. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    American or swiss?
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    Looks like Edam. maybe, it was the red cabbage that helped? Bottom line? The CE standard, although a definable test, is a joke.
  5. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I low-sided in a Roadcrafter at about 25 mph on to my left hip and elbow -- no damage done (thanks to my cousin telling me to order the hip armor after he low-sided without it and paid a bit of a price).
  6. Ultravoyageant

Ultravoyageant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The congested burbs 62 furlongs west of Brick City
    All I can say is I've seen the TF5 Transit back pad, and it looks a hell of a lot like the Sas-Tec back pad. But at a 2X plus premium in price. The armor looks Kosher, but that made me give them the side eye. But who knows? I am interested in the D3o armor though....
  7. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan on touching down over the hard part, Aerostich isn't bad-it compares to current/previous generation armor. The problem is that this hard part is only 80% the area of what is mandated by CE standards, and that outside this hard shell it is piss poor. Some people think that the bulkiness of Aerostich armor keeps it in place, but my opinion is that if you need something like that, your suit is way too big in the first place.

Aerostich shows the amount of force transmitted for a 50J impact, but TPro shows the energy required to cause the armor to pass more than 35kN of force (CE standard for 50J) so the numbers are not directly comparable, but you should be able to get an idea from the values reported for other materials. As a point of reference, Hiprotec Comfort, which is a 6mm thick Black Astrosorb derivative(First Gear), passes 24kN of force when subjected to 50J of energy.

Given the above, I would take Tpro over aerostich any day-better coverage, less bulky, and excellent impact protection. Paying for a full set of Tpro is a different matter entirely.

Statements in 2006 symposium about area (see page 3) Note values for tpro is from previous generation armor
    Averaged values for current Aerostich pads
    Forcefield values
    Joe Rocket pads
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    It is Sastec.
  9. Ultravoyageant

Ultravoyageant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The congested burbs 62 furlongs west of Brick City
    Of course it is. Was it a special edition made with unicorn tears? Because if it isn't then that's some shady shit. I like Aerostitch and all, but when places price gouge for a product that's available from other reputable (Read: not shady "fell off the truck pricing" scammers) shops such as Revzilla for significantly less it makes me question doing business with them at all.
  10. Chazzman

Chazzman n00b

Oddometer:
    I ordered a 1 piece Aerostich, just wasn't for me. It was very bulky heavy and questionable on protection compared to leather anyway. I guess I am just not an Aerostich fan... One thing is you get a few days to return and you pay the freight. I returned and still am undecided on the best protection for the best price.
  11. SF_Rider

SF_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Aerostich products are not for everyone that's for sure.

I have a one piece. I've taken a few trips with it and I have also used it for commuting. It has it's pros and cons for sure. On the bike I really enjoy it. However, off the bike you are stuck in a one piece.....

I now have their falstaff jacket. I don't think it's the most bomber piece of protection out there. There is a place here in San Francisco called Johnson Leathers. They do a lot of solid MC gear for cops and anyone else. They made me a leather jacket with armor. I stopped by there yesterday. For $130.00 I can have the force field armor with new pockets sewn into the jacket which I think I will do.

I have looked at and tried on countless textile jackets in all price ranges. I really like the feel of the falstaff and its' simplicity. Jackets from Revit or the bmw line just have too many gizmos and 'stuff' going on. Danise jackets all seem odd to me and most of these brands have little or no armor. Some have good armor, some is a joke.

Well. I think that if armor is in the right place and is quality it's about the best I can do. I really don't think that the armor provided in the AS gear is super high quality. For sure better than nothing and better than other gear on the market but not the best. Just my opinion feeling it compared to what's in my leather jacket (too hot to wear all the time).

12. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I've crashed twice while wearing areostich gear
    Once in darien pants and once in a roadcrafter.

While wearing the Dariens I was run over by a truck, not much armor is going to protect you from that.
    That said I did have a noticeable area where the hip pads were and where they weren't

The second crash was a canyon riding lowside, same deal you could see where the pads were and were they were not.

Like helmet specs, you have to figure out a way to test them but it's hard to say how your next crash will happen, There's no doubt in my mind that there's better armor out there then what's in the gear I currently have (Both my Stich and my other stuff that is CE rated)

I have noticed that the CE pads are stiffer and when off road and I crash while wearing my CE stuff I've noticed more bruising in the impact area then if I'm wearing my Darien jacket (This is Oly bushwacker vs Darien)

What I like most about the aerostich gear is simply that I'm more likely to wear it, do to it being comfortable...

Pads don't protect if they aren't being worn.
  13. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    I am ok with their armor, it protected me well in an "intersection altercation" with a ford focus. Even though it has a bit of a homebrew look to it, it works just fine...but I would like to see more shin and forearm coverage in their TF3 pads.
  14. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for you, I know the knee pads Olympia uses in their stuff is ONE USE ONLY because it is basically a fabric cover, plastic plate, EPS layer, and rubber backing(See original First Gear Core-Comp armor). This provides light weight and excellent impact protection, but each segment is only good for one hit.

I am not positive about the back pads and elbow pads however, so I would recommend checking. You may be bruising because your armor isn't working anymore.
  15. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1:eek1:eek1 Oy, I'm happy that you're still with us!

I love my Darien jacket and pants for their comfortable fit and overall practicallity for everything from a 20 mile commute to a multi-week tour. But that comes with the flipside that the armor is not securely held in place. I'm most concerned that the knee pads will be out of place in a get off.

I'm getting closer to layering a fitted set of armor beneath the Aerostitch but that'd just be a PIA for a 20 mile commute.

Bottom line: Aerostitch and its armor is much better than the unarmored leather that I wore for so many years. But not as good as maximum protection from form fitting racing suits. We're making compromises here.

As for the armor itself? I'm trusting that it's a reasonable level of protection for a reasonable (35 - 60 mph) getoff.
  16. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I heard this before, and I poked around asking both olympia and the maker of the pads that are in my gear and could get nothing back from them, I know some people who know those who own the Olympia company, and I'll try and ask them again. Thanks for the reminder about this. For what it's worth the EPS on my armor doesn't show any crushing or cracking.
  17. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Thanks! it's how I got my "handle" I was squished...

Anyway for what it's worth in the crash where I was squished I slid for a distance and my knee pads didn't move.
    That said it didn't prevent my knee from having my ACL, MCL and PCL destroyed, but I don't think anything would have.
    I trust my darien gear for the moderate road speeds I ride, but when I do make it to the track it's a once peice leather with a back pad for me.
  18. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    aerostich armors works well amazingly well. i crashed at 70mph on the interstate and slid to a stop with not a scratch on my upper body. i spent a good bit of that time on my back. i had their standard back pad in the jacket and no back pain at all.

i ordered another jacket from them.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  19. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crashed mine in my RC at 50mph, good clean slide, rode home, all my soreness was muscle soreness. I didn't even suffer so much as a bruise. Wish I could say the same for the last time I fell down with leathers on.

When it comes time to replace the pads, I'll probably do something more substantial and breathable in the back protector, but all the corners, I'm happy with.
  20. axelwik

axelwik Yep

Oddometer:
    I've put it to the test and it works very well. My left knee would have been toast of it wasn't for the knee armor in my Darien pants.