Let's see your Man Castle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZcacti, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hueychief

Hueychief FNG

Oddometer:
    Another view of the "mobile man cave" doing what it does best during a mountain biking and kayaking weekend.
    [​IMG]
  2. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I hope to have more pictures posted of the finished interior soon. Including some of the old Triumphs that call it home!

Even though it's not complete, the workshop is already seeing a lot of use. The woodstove is coming in very handy already. Drywall will be going into the workshop soon as will a bunch of shelving and work benches. The apartment above is almost done. Until then, I'll keep working around the clutter and the mass of moto-metal.

[​IMG]

3. DirtKnob

DirtKnob Dirt Knob

Oddometer:
  4. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    Love it! Here's my "Mobile Man Cave" loaded up for our trip to Custer, SD that we took this past July. It was a fun week!

[​IMG]

We managed to take our FZ-1, my KTM 350 EXC-F, and my wife's KLX 250, plus our mountain bikes to keep ourselves entertained for a week.
  5. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what does GBG stand for?
  6. Goofy Footer

Goofy Footer Long timer

Oddometer:

More pics and info on your Baja pop-up please! Sweet set-up - Did you custom make the motorcycle mounts on the tongue?
  7. kendall_smith

kendall_smith Motion-Activated

Oddometer:
    In an attempt to not thread jack the "Let's see your man castle" thread, I'll post a link to a thread on thumpertalk that I put some info in.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/957348-anyone-haveuse-one-of-these/

There's a good amount of information on there including my write-up of how I did my set up. Glad you like it- I know that my wife and I love it!
  8. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I added these horizontal file cabinets to help clean up the garage.

[​IMG]

I also added this behind the garage to hold yard stuff and my dirt bike:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was getting late so I just threw stuff in there. I need to organize, and add some shelves.

Jim :brow
  10. schnutzy

schnutzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very interesting, would llove to know more about it, the materials used, etc
    it looks like an interesting kit sort of shed
  11. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    +! Scary like empty museums...:evil
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Since I got mine off CraigsList (New old stock), I have found that the original manufacturer doesn't make them anymore. However, they are now made by Duramax. Here is a link: http://www.durasheds.com/10x8_Westchester_Double_Walled.html

[​IMG]

Mine was originally $1800, I paid $200, minus the base, which was another $170.

The advantage to these are the double wall construction with a firmer vinyl that is much more structually sound than the typical Rubbermaid sheds, and is smooth so cleaning is easier and mold does not stick well, and is easier to clean off.

After I put mine up it rained half an inch, no leaks.

By the way, they say two people, but I did the assembly alone, base and all. It took about 6 hours with the base, 4 for the shed alone.

Jim :brow
  13. schnutzy

schnutzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info.
    dad wants a new shed at their place. ill have to show this to him.
  14. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's beautiful - I admire a clean and organized shop. The presence of a shop vac is telling - I need to get one.
  15. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    For ten years I lived in a townhouse and squeezed my bikes and shop into an 18' x 20' garage with a double roll up door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had the HVAC duct work routed into it so it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The downside was that I had to share the space with gardening tools, Xmas decorations, other non-moto related stuff. It got crowded.
  16. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So we sold that place and moved to a house that has a 1/2 acre lot. Here is the garage - we are still unpacking and organizing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 60 year old house and has some cool stuff, like the built in shelves, but also has some of the drawbacks of an older home - like the cracking and uneven garage floor, and the driveway, which is being completely replaced.
  17. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The house comes with this in the back of the lot -

[​IMG]

I've moved some of my stuff into it -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a cool old building - 20' x 20' with a single car-width tilt up door. The electrical supply has been upgraded, it has two 8' banks of lights, a porch, the shelves.

It could be a cool man-cave with some TLC. Needs serious repair of some of the siding, maybe go with Hardy board. Put in a roll-up door, cut in a man-door where the window is. Add insulation and paneling and a ceiling, a shop sink. Roof is in good shape.

But the biggest problem is the floor. Apparently the building was built on a pier and beam perimeter foundation and the floor was poured later. The alley side of the foundation has sunk and has some cracks and the floor is crowned in the center, maybe 5" higher than the alley side, a couple of inches higher than the yard side. And the pad outside the door is sloped, and the patio under the arbor is a separate slab. In short, all the concrete work is haphazard and deteriorating.

I got a quote of $6K to level the building, fix the foundation, and pour a new floor. Add to that the cost of rehabbing the siding, walls, etc, and it seems you are approaching the cost of a new building. The foundation guy said he could put in a new foundation and floor from scratch (on a clean pad) for $4K.

My budget is $20,000. So I'm trying to figure out if I can demo this building and put in a new one, including a parking pad, for that.

Or should I live with the f'd up floor and pad and just fix up the building? I hate to pour a bunch of money into a building that's got fundamental problems. If I could get away with $5K to fix it up, I might do that, but I got numbers up to $15K for rehab the way I'd want it. And I'd still have all the floor and pad problems.
  19. RustyPhoenixMotors

RustyPhoenixMotors Oops...

Oddometer:
    Current status...

[​IMG]

Got it cleaned out enough to fit one LARGE car, 2 bikes, and a whole bunch of shelves / workbenches. Bikes aren't really accessible, but I can't ride them right now anyways. I'm impressed that, for the first time in my life, we are using a garage to park a car in nightly. :lol3
  20. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Man, you guys have some cool shops. Mine is a bit more cramped. You can see my 1 car garage (more like 4/5 actually) to the left. There is a car, 2 bicycles, 2 motorcyles, and a 3x5 work bench stuffed into that 10x25 garage. When I get home from a ride, I pull the bike up the steep driveway, then slide the rear tire around so the bike is ready to go again. The 250 has been replaced by a 750 Aprilia, which requires a rear wheel stand on dolly wheels to turn it around. There really isn't a level spot on the property to build a shed. :cry

[​IMG]