2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    I did a quick and dirty photoshop to show the difference below the axles of the 990R and the 1190R. :eek1

[​IMG]
  2. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes there is, but allot of that has to do with the fact that the 990R has an inch more travel at both ends that the 1190R (which is annoying).

Just get the bike raised to original 950s height (265mm of travel, versus 245 for the last "R") or get crazy and get a set of SX forks (if the fork end is the same) or a set of the open catridges and swap the fork ends on them and combine that with either taking spacers out of the 1190 shock or getting a longer shock from the off-road line.

Resping and revalve and have a 300mm of travel...

I'm sure james would be able to put something together.
  3. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    I was going for the closest "Apple to Apples" comparison possible. So an "R" to "R" comparison was appropriate. :D
  4. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I think it's lame it lost travel and the seat isn't flat, but I think the low pipe overall is a good thing.
  5. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    Well, I made another version of the photo comparison using the original factory 950 photos. But now Flickr is broken and I can't upload it.:cry So I will post it later.
  6. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Easier said than done! The 1190 R might have a new shock or different leverage ratio that allows it to use no spacers to achieve its R level travel. You might be able to raise the 1190 non-R to R specs, but that might be the limit. At least without major surgery (longer shock shaft and shock body?). And then you'd have to deal with the forks. Notice the non-R 1190 has the axle under the fork while the R has more conventional dirtbike style leading axle forks.

There might be solutions to get more travel and more clearance on the 1190 for those that want it, but it will not be as easy as it was with the 9X0.
  7. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's allot of speculation on both our parts. Assuming they keep using the same fork's WP48's and the same shocks (I still don't know if it's a PDS or a link bike) ktm has historically had a pretty high amount of part interchange in suspension. I'm not sure they'd make there life harder with one allot off parts for the suspension on this bike considering how well they understand the wp48's at this point.

I was talking about literally throwing on ktm dirt bike parts and changing the fork lowers around and replacing the shock with one from a dirt bike.
  8. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
  9. kateemer

kateemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question About the 990R ride height.
    Which model year because they've been everywhere through the years.
    For instance the 2012 model is lower than 2011.
    They almost changed height every year. Pretty hard to make a comparison.
  10. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Have you had one of the big bikes? The forks on the big bikes are *similar* to the dirtbike forks, but there are differences in axles, brake carriers, spacers, lengths of spring guides, lengths of damper rods, etc... The shocks are totally different animals between the big bike and dirtbike lines. The PDS system and general hydraulic theory is about all they have in common. There might be some interchangeability between the old 9X0 shocks and the 1190 shocks, but I doubt they have the same length shock bodies and shafts. As short as they made the travel on the 1190 it doesn't make sense that they would use a full length 9X0 S/R shock with internal spacers. The only way to use those shocks at full length to get less travel would be to change the leverage ratio. Maybe a 9X0 S/R/standard shock would swap in and raise the 1190. Somebody will try it!
  11. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    Not really hard to make a comparison at all. The lowest R to the highest is only about 1.4" of difference. :lol3
  12. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good comparison. Another reason I'm glad I have a '12 990 Adv R and not a 1190.

All in all, the 1190 is going down the R1200GS road a bit too far for me.
  13. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Seriously, what happened to KTM usa and the 1190? Anybody know? :huh
  14. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    Things I like about the 1190......:freaky

-The styling is a combination of Adventure and Super Enduro. I like that the tank is high from a "styling" stand point that shows off a bit more frame, suspension and V twin:freaky. Should be pretty easy to take the windscreen off for a SE feel.

-They left it a single exhaust like may owners like, but its hanging out a bit too much and would get dinged up quick.

-150HP rush for on ramps. (although the way I load up my bike this is just going to be one long wheelie....um....or a really short one:lol3)

and.......crap......that was a short list:lol3
  15. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    *Sigh* Yes I own 3 ktm's. A 950adv, a 200exc and a 450smr. Get EXC forks, remove inner from outer tubes, unscrew damper for from base valve , get special tool to hold inner tube remove bottom of fork (where the axle goes). Pull 950 forks, remove inner tubes from outer tubes, remove damper rod, remove bottom of fork (where the axle goes). Reassemble 950 fork bottom onto exc legs. *Magic* you've got 300mm forks that use the 950 axle, wheels, spacers and brakes.

You're welcome.

As for the PDS sock I'm a little less sure about, you'd need to change the bottom shock mount for sure and the shock shaft. It looks like you'd need to reuse your upper shock body because of the res location... Or call ohlins and get one of their PDS shocks...
  16. rockycraig

rockycraig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. 21 inch front wheel
    2. tubeless
    3. better suspension than my 1200gs
    4. steering damper standard on r
    5. ability to lower first gear
    6. 518 lbs with a big tank of gas not too bad
    7. I like the looks
    I just can't wait to ride one. hopefully it will be for sale in Europe for a year than come to the us. spec wise this is pretty close to what I'm looking for maybe 50 to 75 lbs less weight and I like a shaft drive but it would have to be geared the way I want and I think that will never happen. love all these new bikes coming out!
  17. mrwolfer1

mrwolfer1 mrwolfer1

Oddometer:
    okay, here is the opinion of mine :)
    I am EXTREMELY disappointment by the 2013 ADV design - the bike looks like Ducati multistrada.. well the lovely Dakar design is gone :(((((((((( I do not know whether is the 1190 is replacement for the 990 or whether the 990 will be produced too.
    The 2013 ADV ugly... I am soo disappointed.. :boid
  18. mrwolfer1

mrwolfer1 mrwolfer1

Oddometer:
    okay, here is the opinion of mine :)
    I am EXTREMELY disappointment by the 2013 ADV design - the bike looks like Ducati multistrada.. well the lovely Dakar design is gone :(((((((((( I do not know whether is the 1190 is replacement for the 990 or whether the 990 will be produced too.
    The 2013 ADV ugly... I am soo disappointed..
  19. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you will get used to the new one and grow to like it cos the 990 will be no more :cry they have stopped making it and will sell what stock they have left. They are just making the new 1190's from now on...........................................until they bring out the 200 HP 1400 :rofl
  20. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    It's looks like they are going after the GS12 and Tenere to me. Does it have all those fancy electronics like the competition?

Oh well, I got my 950SE to keep me happy.