H14 and Campcook wandering aimlessly 2-up

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by H14, Jun 20, 2013.

1. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Sorry we missed you too. I'd like to take C.C. for a ride down your way sometime this summer.
  2. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thursday night we had the campground to ourselves, when we came back from riding Friday the campground had filled up quite a bit. Next door to us a family had set all there stuff up. Mom, dad, three kids, and a dog that barked at everything that moved. The kids were just kids, not really out of control just a little loud. At first it was starting to get on my nerves but as I looked around their campsite and saw the tents, chairs, toys, pets, mom and dad hustling around trying to cook supper and keep an eye on the kids and telling a dog to shut up I thought to myself, crap that was us just a few short years ago. Watching that scene unfold I wondered if these parents as harried as they were at this point could even imagine looking back in a few years and wishing they could have made time stand still at this point.

Our night ends with the sound of a little boy giggling to no end, it was so sweet we couldn't help but giggle ourselves. Such a great moment of pure happiness mixed with a bit of sadness as it brings back to mind a time in our lives where the giggles of little kids was an everyday part of life. As iDave would say you have to live in the moment, and right now sitting by the fire with the one that helped create all those great memories is right where I want to be.

[​IMG]
  3. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    We're up early Saturday morning and need to get rolling since we have three days to get home and we're taking the long way to get there. Sure is hard to get motivated knowing this marks the point where the trip is winding down and we'll soon be home. We pack as quietly as we can since the neighbors are still asleep. We owe it to them to be courteous this morning since they were lights out and all quiet by nine last night. We say goodby to Somes Harbor and begin a long twisty ride to Wilmington, VT.

[​IMG]

We rode over the Penobscot Narrow Bridge. Next time we'll stop here and spend more time at the bridge and Ft. Knox.

[​IMG]

As the day goes on we can tell by temperature we are definately heading south and away from the coast. These people have the right idea, enjoying a warm June day on the Saco river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure am going to miss the blue water of the northeast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we got into New Hampshire we had to ride Hurricane Mountain Road. It was suggested by many people before we left and it did not disapoint. It would have been a lot more fun with less weight on the bike and without all the oncoming Harleys that seem to like the center of the road. We came down the other side of Hurricane Mountain Road and dropped into Conway. That's when we realized why we were seeing so many Harleys, it was bike week in Laconia. Apparently they had a real good turn out this year. We got into Wilmington late, checked into our room, ate dinner and split an $8.50 sliver of Key Lime pie. Here's me reliving how big that lobster was I had last night.

[​IMG].

Tomorrow NY, NJ, and stay in PA where we honeymooned 25 years earlier.
  4. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Some moments just need to be on canvas. I suggest you try this... great way to have a moment hanging on the wall to bring you back in an instant. I was at the same site in September 2007. referring to your MDI Camp Site.
  5. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    You bet ... Ya'll have a place to stay...:D

Also ... We all have the same longjohns :shog
    Ours are about 10yrs old...:huh
  6. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    Great post!! Jeez...I didn't think I was going to get something in my eye this morning reading your report! :eek1 Our trips definitely share a lot of similarities, but I like your pics better :thumb

I need to get to typing on my newest report from Inyo Forest :clap
  7. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Nice Lance, thanks.

Thank you LD, you're too nice. If we make it down there sometime maybe we can trade tent space for a couple hours of chores. Rhonda grew up on a farm and I could pull weeds or something.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your latest ride, I like yours better.
  8. badguy

badguy Susan

Oddometer:
    :rofl And he's humble, too!

Seriously! Awesome stuff Kevin, the writing and the photography.
  9. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. I can't believe how horrendous my writing is even after proof reading before submitting each post. I noticed in your quote I wrote where instead of wear, a few post back I used there instead of their. Oh well, I guess you all are getting most of what I mean to say.:lol3
  10. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    ur too modest Kev, the writing is good, actually some of it really damn good! :thumb
  11. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Word.
    Yea, I said WORD.:lol3
  12. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    We're up and rolling at 6:30 Sunday morning. Another benefit of a hotel room, get up, shower, and roll. If I can keep finding decent hotel rooms for 50 bucks I could almost be persuaded to sell my camping gear, almost. It was a 30 minute ride into Bennington where we fueled up and rode around town a bit. Another thing I learned on this trip was riding around checking out all these historic towns is best done in the morning when everyone else is sleeping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

General John Stark. Revolutionary War hero and penned the phrase "Live free or Die".

[​IMG]

Man I love the history up here. I've always been pretty passionate about the Civil War due mostly because of the area I grew up in but I would love to come back up here and spend time checking out the Revolutionary War battlefields and forts. So much incredible history and stories of sacrifice that are too easily forgotten.

Back into New York we cross over the Hudson river on the Rip Van Winkle bridge on our way to the Catskill Mtns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our first view of the Catskill mountains.

[​IMG]

We felt like we didn't spend as much time here as we should have much like the Adirondacks on the way up, but at least now we have a pretty good list of roads we'll try next time.

Kaaterskill Falls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After screwing up our routing and paying New Jersey a dollar for getting to ride a couple of miles of their roads we got back on track to the Deleware Water Gap.

[​IMG]

It's a nice ride but the deer were out in force. Next time I want to check the road out on the Jersey side BroncoDave took pictures of. We did find this gem along the way, Silver Thread Falls, probably the prettiest waterfall I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I told her my plan of spending the night in Stroudsburg where we spent our honeymoon 25 years earlier.

I think she replied, "whatever, it's hot we need to get rolling".

[​IMG]
  13. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Erik, you too Jack.
  14. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Our last day was our most uneventful. Our plan was to take the Millersburg Ferry across the Susquehanna river but the ferry didn't start operations until 11:00 and that would get us home too late so we took interstate for about 80 miles, which CampCook did NOT like. At Harrisburg we got off the interstate and started looking for more back roads. Being this close to Gettysburg and the 150th anniversary of the battle coming up we had to stop.

Looking at Cemetery Ridge held by the Union army from the confederate's position in the tree line along Seminary Ridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C.C. taking the opportunity to take off some clothes.

[​IMG]

Hey, your timing is off by about 18 hours.:(:

Wish we had more time, I hated being this close and not stopping to see SoPaRider and SoPaGuider. At least we had enough time for me to show Rhonda High Rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's at it again.:lol3

[​IMG]

Finally get a picture of the Strom in front of the Fort Ritchie gate and then we go home.

[​IMG]

Thanks everybody for all the kind comments and thanks for following along, hopefully there will be much more to come.
  15. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, I really do enjoy going back over my notes and re-living the trip. It does make me feel good other people are enjoying it too.

Now it's yout turn.:deal
  16. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures and story, really enjoyed being allowed to come along. Thank you.
  17. campcook

campcook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hotels are nice for trips, but I prefer cabins. That way you have the benefits of showers, bathrooms and dry places to stash gear, but still have a campfire to sit by and relax.

I was very excited about going back to the spot of our honeymoon, I was hot and tired but thought it was a very romantic idea.

This was a wonderful trip and I look forward to many more like it.
  18. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Kevin I quoted her so Rhonda can't delete at a later date! BTW - if Rhonda decided to rescind the last statement "This was a wonderful trip and I look forward to many more like it" and need me to delete this one... I will do it for a pumpkin roll. Yes I can be bought :lol3
  19. senecahome

senecahome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice trip report and great pics.
    On this forum, if we threw out all the posts where there/their, road/rode, where/wear, your/you're, etc were misused we wouldn't understand most of what was written. :norton
    -Glen
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Nice report, thanks for taking us along. Gettysburg is one of those places on my bucket list. Too bad about the rain. Good thing you went when you did, because it's been raining here every day lately. Tornado 1 mile south of me yesterday in Windsor, CT. It's just rainy and humid then a thunderstorm drenches everything and the whole region has turned into a mosquito farm.