Questions about Bend, OR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by clang, Aug 29, 2014.

1. taranaki

taranaki bon vivant

Oddometer:

What he said.

Bend has become a distant suburb of Orange County. Some folks really dig Audis and Range Rovers and are happy to let an HOA pick their house color but.....

If I moved over that way I'd start looking in Redmond or Prineville. If you'd like some land around you the area surrounding Terrebonne is nice and relatively affordable.

2. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Even from the mid 90's it has changed significantly. Mini So-Cal feel description is not far off. Big difference is you can get away from it and not see a soul all day if you know where to go. Quickly!

Honestly, I hope to be able to move to Baker County within 5 years.:deal
    There's many here that love what it's become, I'm not one of them...
    That said, it doesn't mean I hate it here either. I just prefer the small towns and that's where I want to end up.
    I'm glad my wife had the foresight to buy property where and when she did.:clap
  3. clang

clang Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer:

Hey now, I have a Land Rover (not Range Rover :puke1).

Mine is a 300TDI Disco1 set up as an Overland/Adventure rig I mostly built myself. Seems like Bend would a perfect area for a vehicle like this....
  4. Mr Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    That post is worthless without pics!:D
  5. clang

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. clang

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good realtor? I'd like to get an idea of what's available where, and for how much etc...:ear

Thanks!
  7. Mr Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    I'll PM you one.
  8. OR400

OR400 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it that clean and you will fit right in. Great place to live. Just take it for what it is. If it was not getting more populated you probably would not be looking here with a possible job opportunity.
    If you can't find a realtor PM me and Ill send you one.
  9. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I'm in a similar position as the OP. I'm planning a move, potentially to central OR, in the springtime but I'm bringing my job with me. I'm hoping to get out to see the area later this month or the next.
  10. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that last year, moved back to Oregon from California and brought my job. Good thing, employment here sucks and wages are pretty low. Fantastic area for dual sporting, or any other out door activity. 11 inches of rain a year means you won't get wet, and temp swings are huge, last year was -13 to 103. No traffic, though what traffic there is goes SO damn slow, but it's a nice relaxed pace of life.
    It's very 'god and guns' type place still, so if those interest you you'll like it.
  11. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    A couple things about climate. 37 degrees and sunny at my place 4 miles south of Bend right now. It can freeze here any night of the year and I've seen frost on the seat in mid August. Unless there is the rare cloud cover to keep the heat in you will need a jacket as soon as the sun goes down even in summer.

Lower elevations around here are warmer during the summer as you would expect but also colder during the winter as cold air settles. Freezing fog can blanket the area for days or weeks at a time but often when Madras, Prineville, Redmond, and Sisters are socked in Bend is clear. Elevation is higher to the south and west of Bend and lower to the north and east. Also, not much wind here compared to other places.
  12. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    :thumb

This sounds a lot like the CO front range, where I lived before my current location in TX. Here recently we've just been getting down into the mid 70s during the night after high 90s all day (which is a relief from the mid 100s the last three months). And it's not a dry heat, either. :knary
  13. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    I'm right there with you. Used to participate in the Pole Peddle Paddle back in the mid 80's when it was a relatively small event, and fun.

Some of the best times we've had were hanging out with the locals in Haines and Baker. If we could find some way to survive we'd move over there.

[​IMG]
  14. clang

Oddometer:
    Uzume and I have spent many years living in Breckenridge, and Steamboat Springs (Clark actually), so this is exactly the type of weather we are used to.
  15. clang

Oddometer:
    Recommendations for good restaurants in Bend?? What's your favorite? Why? :ear

Uzume will be there for a few days in the next week or so.
  16. Mr Dual Sport

Oddometer:
  17. clang

Oddometer:

Much obliged :1drink
  18. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #110 Supporter

Oddometer:

All good, or try the Captain Jack Sparrow at Brother Jon's and go to El Caporal for the Burro Acupulco.. :deal

So many great places to eat, drink, and be Mary here!!! You cannot go wrong. Just remember, people live here; not necessarily make a living here. I am very fortunate to have a great job in Bend, but if that were not the case, moving away for work would likely be necessary. Unemployment is quite low in the area, but it really is a two-tiered system - high income, and minimum wage. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket without a Plan B.
  19. Dr Klaun

Dr Klaun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Ariana's. Make sure you have a reservation.
    2. Zydeco (Downtown).
  20. clang

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone :freaky

We will be there in a couple of days, and looking forward to checking things out. :deal