Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Windrock

Windrock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pointers on Basecamp, Bill Murray. I will start by watching the Video's.
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Would somebody please explain how to set up my Montana to have this screen?

[​IMG]

I think I have all the other screens set up to do what I want but this one escapes me.

I am using City Nav North America from a DVD.

I am sure it is just user error but I can't make it work.

Thanks!
  3. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious where folks are mounting thier tempe sensors. I have tried mine on the cross strap for my camel back, but it gives false reading there due to solar gains.
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Answer is here:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Applications+-+Map
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is slightly hidden in the Montana wiki, but if you select the Features Page, Dashboards, and then nuvi, you end up here.
  6. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Is there an easy way to make a bunch of waypoints by entering coordinates?

I have a bunch to make, but so far the only way I can figure to make them is to make a waypoint in basecamp then edit that waypoint with the correct coordinates.

The waypoints I need to make are mostly not on roads so it is difficult to make them otherwise.
  7. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    found some help in a previous post by dirtbyk.

Still hoping for someway to crank them out faster though.

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Tethys_Sea [​IMG]
    OK,

Just got basecamp & city nav. installed on the computer and (hopefully) the city nav. updated into the Garmin Montana 650t.

Have routed a 2 week trip up through Maine and through PEI, NS, & NBrunswick and specific lighthouse coordinates through Google maps, saved each day of the trip etc....cool.

Today, I sit down with basecamp/city nav and attempt to "route out" the same trip so I can transfer the routes into the gps itself. Was able to find my house on city nav...make it a waypoint...great.

Then try to get my friends house in CT where I want to stay the first night...no such luck, citynav doesn't find his apartment building or even find his town (Vernon, CT)...?
    Ok, I'll try to find mom's house in Ohio...again no such luck for a house outside of Toledo that has been there for 50 years...??

Humph, well I think, how does one enter in exact lat/long coordinates of a lighthouse for example. Data found on lighthousefriends.com ... easily done on Google maps, can't find where to do that on the Basecamp screen.

Time to start calling:

Called gpscity...the guy on the phone was useless..."call Garmin he says"

Garmin, 1st time guy trys to find mom's house etc. Can't do it, claims that there are bugs between basecamp and city nav. But he assures me that the Montana gps unit itself would navigate me accurately to the house if I punched the address in on it while on the road (can I trust this?)...naturally we get disconnected so I have to call back?

Garmin, 2nd time: different guy doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable as the first, has an associate next to him trying to find mom's house, they can't find, will work on it and email me>>>
    ...he tells me that to get the exact gps lat/long, I have to zoom in on the basecamp map, and "click" where I believe the point (in this case a lighthouse) to be and than create the waypoint that way.
    ...he sez that I can't take the google maps route and transfer them to the gps, I would have to use google Earth, import the .kml files and I should see the waypoints on Basecamp... I try this and it doesn't seem to work. Just see my house start point, no friends apt. in CT, nor the campground end waypoint in Harrington, ME.

Sorry to be long winded, but does anybody know the easiest way to take a google map route(s) and get them into a garmin gps? Am I completely missing something with Basecamp/City Nav. that the Garmin guys didn't alert me to? So far I am not impressed with this garmin software and route/trip building etc. And customer service doesn't seem to be too knowledgeable either, except they acknowledge that there is a problem between base camp and city nav.

Frustration is building.:baldy

Any help or ideas???

Chris

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    On a Windows computer, to enter Lat/Lon for a location in BaseCamp:

Select VIEW->RECENTER MAP TO..., enter your coordinates.

Address Search in BaseCamp is a bit wankers and is getting some attention in v4.0 but until then you want to enter as little data as possible in your search criteria to get started.

By the way, the HELP files in BaseCamp provide adequate information to do the basic tasks. You might give them a try.

Cheers,

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    What about setting up a .csv file like one used for custom POIs then use the POI uploader?

Example of format:

-149.88906,61.17062,"The Motorcycle Shop","400 W Potter Dr, Anchorage, AK, 99518-1143, (907) 561-1165,"
    -147.64646,64.835,"Trail's End BMW","Po Box 80754, Fairbanks, AK, 99708-0754, (907) 479-2367,"
  9. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    I am using the nuvi dashboard.

I am hoping to get that type of view on my Montana. Even if I drove to Forest Ave., I cannot get that view.

Thanks.

10. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about posting a screenshot of the view you do get?
  11. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You need the Nuvi dashboard which you have, and also in Setup/Map/Orientation, choose Automotive Mode.
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    In anticipation of receiving my AMPS rugged mount, I am looking over the instructions. In http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Montana_rugged_mount_instr_web_ML.pdf I find:

"If necessary, connect the serial data wires to your vehicle:" (then proceeds to tell which color for what.)

Under what circumstances would I want these serial data wires connected? I have no idea what they do.
  13. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You don't want to connect them to anything unless you have a separate data logger or marine radio or laptop computer on your bike.....:rofl

Chop them off and shrink seal the ends.
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Ah! Thank you. :thumb
  15. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of the screen. I am not navigating now.

[​IMG]
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Press the "triple bar" icon (lower right corner of your screen) to open the map menu.

Then press "Setup Map" on the screen.

Select [Orientation] Automotive Mode.

Select [Dashboard] Nuvi.
  17. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just in case you missed it :)
  18. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Did you not see the answer I gave you last night?
  19. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    That was it!

I was confused by my "automobile" profile versus the "automotive mode" in orientation.

Thank you Emmbeedee, Yossarian and Atlas Cached for helping me out. Sometimes it is the simplest things that are the hardest thing for me to figure out.:1drink
  20. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't feel bad, the new Montana and Basecamp terminology confuses a lot of folks, especially when posters don't use the exact terminology shown on screen.

This is, after all, rocket science....:rofl