2013 Sandblast Rally - March 2 - SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Sep 26, 2012.

1. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
  2. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Colleen! Throw the bikes in the truck and let us know when you're heading up. I wonder if they ever had two husband/wife bike teams on the roster?
  3. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm gonna let you guys in on something I'm working on. It's still in progress, and I'm looking for feedback.

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/Rally-University

Tutorials, classes, and explanations. So, especially feedback from new guys and gals, on the questions you have as a new racer. And you guys are seeing this before the car guys do. :ricky

Anders
  4. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job Anders:thumb!

And for new rally folks, there is a red/green X in the back of the rally guide you will recieve when you check in at Rally. So if you forget yours, yes I have, there is one ready to go in your guide.
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Cool, good info in there.

One question I see pop up here from time to time is "do I need DOT legal tires". My response has always been kind of like what you mention in the FAQ about non DOT turn signals/brake lights.... "that is between you an the cop that might pull you over". Might be worth adding something like that to the FAQ.

As far as the GPS question you have in the FAQ. I agree 100% that it doesn't help during the race stage but I have found the GPS to be helpful for navigation on the transits, especially at night.

This one however shocked me, I still plan on retiring from my day job and making my money in Rally :lol3
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Yeah i cant wait to read the one about "how do I finance my hobby?" :lol3:clap
  7. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +11111111111 for practice. I desperately need it.
  8. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Think I want to do this event, but am I reading it correctly, $300 to enter?
    And where is the best place to stay, where does everyone hang out?
  9. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    please excuse my noob question.

Are the gas stops seperate locations from the service area? Or do the stages have a different starting line but all finish at the same service/gas finish line?
  10. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    I know lots of people say "There's no such thing as a stupid question" but there absolutely are questions where there answer is "no" or "you can't". :evil Some of these questions, like that one, are actual questions that we get asked over and over through the years. :huh

Anders
  11. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can try the Quality Inn which used to be the Jameson Inn. It's in Cheraw 843-537-5625
  12. Arete

Arete Dark Horse

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested...
    I have a new in-the-box Leo Vince exhaust.
    Let me know if interested....
    I'll be at the race but can get to you in advance if you like.
  13. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    The gas stops can be anywhere you need them while you're on a 'transit' (traveling between timed race stages). If you're transiting between timed stages and you see a gas station, pop in for a splash and maybe a doof if you need one and have enough time. Just don't miss your start time at the next timed section. You'll know what time you need to be at the next timed stage (as well as how far it is) by looking at your card and doing the math.

Like this; ride down some roads at legal speeds to a predetermined location where a timed race stage will take place. Wait at said place for your turn to start. Ride with your hair on fire till you cross the end of the timed stage. Ride down some roads at legal speeds to the next predetermined location where the next timed stage will take place. And the cycle repeats itself over and over.

Barring that, you'll get your gas (and your doof) during the service period around mid day from your pit crew at the bivouac.
  14. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    But always remember:

1 minute late at the end of a transit = 10 second penalty
    1 minute early = 1 minute penalty
  15. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Not that this should be an issue...but you can get gas from a gas station on the route and you can get gas from any of your fellow competitors. However getting fuel brought to you by a crew member who is not racing is not allowed by the rules.
  16. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    As I was reminded, the speed limit on unpaved roads in NJ is 25mph. At Atsion you also share the trails with hikers and horses. But it's great to get used to sandy stuff...
  17. Arete

Arete Dark Horse

Oddometer:
    I don't know what you're racing....I race ( albeit slowly) a G450X. I carry MSR fuel bottles secured to the rear fender. I have needed to use the supplemental fuel at both Sandblast and West Virginia.
  18. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the gas tank on that bike is, what, 10 ounces? Maybe 12? :lol3

Anders
  19. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be on my F8GS which has a 4.2 g tank, but I prefer racing 15-20 lbs lighter by carrying less fuel.
  20. She_Braaps

She_Braaps Flying Merkel

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately looks like I'm out for this year... unexpected expenses keep coming up... :puke1

HOWEVER, be ready for next year, with another year of practice this girl right here is gonna kick some booty :evil :lol3