KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Alik

Alik viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer:

Quick check in microfiches at Munnracing gives a possible answer: part # 58502094000 - decompression cable 04 seems to be different than standard one. But 660 Rallye has a different carb - Keihin. I don't know what you have.
    Maybe You should find someone who can make a custom one which would be longer.
  2. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Word is that Motion Pro does custom length cables. I have a couple things to check, but the 5" long choke/enrichner cable from a '90s HD Keihin CV, bolts in. I'm running it on my BST, but still have to verify that its not open when i think its closed. You have use the BSTs needle and spring, tho.
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the replies. After 16 hours of continuous work we managed to finish the beast to test it tomorrow (let's say today :evil ) .

The cockpit looks ok, the beast started almost instantly after 5 months of being still. This is the remote choke cable :evil

[​IMG]

This is the cockpit with the pimp-roadbook lights :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big problem which looks like the big bang to my eyes...
    Before 6ooo km the engine was rebuilt. New crankshaft bearings, conrod, piston, rings, camshaft ... the lot :deal.

Today, after an oil change before 3ooo km I see this... :eek1:eek1

[​IMG]

My mechanic said that most probable is the bearing that sits on the main gear shaft which has not been changed and desintegrates itself. :wink: ... I think it will last the race which is next week (1000 km in 24 hours straight) but I do not know what are the other steps and if anybody has any other ideas to identify the cause ... :ear:huh
  4. deepfreeze

deepfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks similar to view that I have always seen when changed oil and filters for two previous 640 I have owned. It looks worse than it really is. If you take that between Your fingers it`s actually very much like copper paste - not thick but thin metal paste and it just looks awful in that magnetic plug.

Then again - that´s just my opinion and I can´t guarantee that it ain´t serious.

Ride hard!

s
  5. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    If it was me I would check the cam followers immediately ie. before you do any racing and break something really expensive but it's your call.

But are you rich?
    Well if so then what do you care?

If you are poor and it's not the cam follower bearings and it's the trans bearing just imagine what damage could happen there if the clutch etc gets loose.

Better have a serious talk with your mechanic.
    bill
  6. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    At the moment I am worse than poor :cry ...

That is what exactly happened. But is scare the crapolla out of me that something eats itself there while am out for 24 hours :D I dont think it will not hold for 24 hours, I just think that in the near future I have to open the engine again and that costs time. Time I have plenty. It also costs money which at the moment I prefer to put on a new roadbook that I am developing than the bike.... :huh

What he said is that if it is the trans bearing the bike would warn me by not taking the gears, the gearbox would start making noises etc. I care because it is my bike. The looks are not important to me but I want it to be in a good condition mechanically speaking.

I think the previous people that I was taking the bike to, they were too bored to clean the metallic filter and clean the area that the secondary filter goes in. They were just popping it in and out... I hate to say it but I have yet to gind someone who will reliably fix my bike here for a race... :cry For whatever the reason, all mechanics here are doing 50% of what they are supposed to do.... I was telling the previous guy that the bike needs the front wheel bearings to be changed and he suggested that I am a lousy rider and It is the front tyre feeling (Mich E.comp) and that this tyre is not for this bike blah blah blah. Yesterday we took something out of the front wheel which looked something like a bearing :deal ...
    As far as the electrics is concerned, I have been used to see industrial electrical panels so I hate to see spaghetti on my bike. Of course most electricians here disagree with me but thats another case... :norton

Another major problem I saw was the superseal connectors on the IMO's . The cables for the IMO's are way too thin and three connections needed to be repaired. I think other waterproof connectors would be better ... But I will make sure everything is done by me after the race. :rofl

So far we managed to install a new fuse box with LED warning fuses, four ADVmonster lights, two IMO's, a rear LED, a Gammatronix charge monitor to check that the bike is charging the battery and we managed to solder most of the connections. In four hours I will be going out to do last year's special stage so we shall see :deal
  7. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Hope you bought the heavy duty mounts for those ADVmonstor lights. I cracked both mounts on mine in about 4 days of rough riding.

Good luck with the race.
  8. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed I have the heavy duty ones. I made heavy duty slot parts as well. The things that pivot if you know what I mean. I have to thread lock the lights. After 20 km yesterday two of them came undone...
  9. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    Remember the 625SXC (sold in Australia till '07) had the FCR carbs and different bar setups. The decomp was on the bars although the choke was left on the carb (reach under the tank and pull the switch) part# 59002094000

Cheers

David
  10. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the reply,

The decompressor cable is now out of the game. The choke is still there and I have to manually pull the cable :rofl...

The onboard choke switch I dont know if the rider has enough room to pull it with the tank onboard.... It would be wierd to remove the tank every time you need to pull the choke :huh:D
  11. Beta450

Beta450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a new owner of a 1998 Adventure. I have been a lurker for a while and came across this bike with less than 2000 miles. I have read through a lot of the threads on the Lc4 but alot of it is old. Before I get it on the road I need to go through the bike and am in the process of getting a list together. I have a few questions and hope that you guys can help out.

I want to change out the low twin exhaust to a single exhaust system. What is a current manufacture that offers a full exhaust system and are all of the years and models interchangeable?

Are task guards recommended?

What companies in the US offer a full line of parts and accessories for the adventure.

Thanks.
  12. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    I installed a FCR41MX on my 640ADV and left the manual choke switch...pretty easy access in the morning.
  13. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Would this remote choke kit, or something like it work on your carb?

[​IMG]

Click the image to go to the site.
  14. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Parts here.

http://www.cheapktmpartsonline.com/?gclid=COPT6fmE2rMCFcuZ4AodAyAAgg

I would skip the tank guards for now.

I always liked the low pipe idea for traveling...what kind of riding are you planning to do?

I would put a couple of thousand miles on the bike to see if you like it?

Then if so change the transmission bearing(known to fail).

Post some pictures please.
    bill
  15. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    I think that is good enough. Provided is stays hidden somewhere to avoid accidental damage from falls (it rare happens :D ) ...
    The routing sucks as well... Right full lock causes the bike to cough because of the choke cable being pulled. In some occasions it stalls :huh ... Have no time to fix that, but that's a part of this game :evil

Here is the completed cockpit ...

[​IMG]
    endurists likes this.
  16. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
  17. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That was pretty cool... My 12 year old daughter has been getting into making stop motion videos, so I shared this with her...
  18. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Well... shared with your daughter... that made my day! I watched it with my 6 and 5 years old kids, and they said "awesome!".
    Stop motion videos: that's a lot of patient and ingenious work, interesting hobby though, good for her.
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice little video
  20. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic I loved it! Should be in the Thread of Awesome!