“2010 Forever West” Featuring The Best Of The West On Big Trailies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hey Frank. :wave

It was great to finally meet you and your crew when you were out here.
    I've been looking forward to this Ride Report for a while now. Glad it's started.
    Take your time writing this. So far the pictures are awesome.

If your ever in the area again, MAG and I have 'free indoor camping' for you, here at Chez Questor's Adventure Cabin. :D

Q~
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Hi Q,
    You know the trip had a perfect ending and you'll make your debut soon enough !

Ill get going again on this. At the moment Im getting ships out of the port before midnight! :lol3
  3. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As one of Docking Pilot's crew I must give some shout outs and Thank You's to Bill's Cycle Shop. They really took care of us.

Biggest Thanks of all to Tony Byways Huegel for all the work he put into planning the route. It was absolutely spectacular. Breathtaking. Every day held something wondrous. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better - it did!

Thanks Questor for the Klim tour. Good luck to you. Hope we might see you out there again some day.

Final thanks to my riding partners - a great bunch of guys that make the whole experience a pleasure.

JB
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    "Ill get going again on this. At the moment Im getting ships out of the port before midnight!"

[​IMG]
  5. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Funny Huegel....:lol3

OK,
    DAY 2
    The next morning we were primed to mount up and see what today would bring. You needed the Gerbings for sure in the am, but the skies could not have been more blue. Clear, crisp and in Montana on the front end of a epic tripback. Yea, life was good. Today we will ride up into the Gravelly Range of Montana then start to work our way southerly.

The road leading us out of Dillon. The Blacktail Rd.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention the Aspens were full of pomp and fanfare for us ? We frickin nailed it with them throughout the trip.
    [​IMG]

Check out the brillant morning sunshine.
    <object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0xMDc5NjkwMDYwJms9ZFhYVkgmYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" flashVars="s=aT0xMDc5NjkwMDYwJms9ZFhYVkgmYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

This clip shows the type of morning this was. Listen to the birds sing before Mikes GSA goes by.
    <object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0xMDc5Njg2OTQ5Jms9VDJHNmsmYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" flashVars="s=aT0xMDc5Njg2OTQ5Jms9VDJHNmsmYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off onto an adventure trip all others we take will be measured against.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stop to regroup and have a cup of coffee before riding the Gravelly Range. I was itching to try out the new Jet Boil.
    [​IMG]

This sign greets us on the road up to the Gravelly's.
    [​IMG]

Next up the Gravelly Range. Be back in a few.:1drink
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    There were indeed grizz in the area ... the Forest Service had posted signs along Gravelly Range Road warning campers of sightings.
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    The CDR goes right by the Gravelly Range which is a shame if you ride right by it. It's basically a loop, entering and exiting in the same place. It took a couple of hours to ride if I remember correctly. I can tell you every single one of us was absolutely blown away. Never have we seen anything quite like it. A magnificent place to ride through on a big trailie.
    [​IMG]

One of hundreds of beautiful creeks we saw throughout the trip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a fantastic section of the Gravely Range; windswept, wide open, high-altitude riding. It was difficult to stop and get a picture without being blown over
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We will get higher on this trip. Remember, it's late Sept.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming up on Black Butte
    [​IMG]

Group shot.
    Idaho & Montana have no helmet laws or Huegel's helmet fell off due to it being 3x too big. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Bruce and I. You can still see last winters snow pockets on Black Butte.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can follow this awesome road off in the distance at the next ridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your riding high here fellas. Literally ! :lol3
    [​IMG]

After a couple of hours of beautiful riding we descend back down. Then the first one happened.
    [​IMG]

More later as we work our way towards Grand Teton.......:1drink
    "Grand Teton" The French named it, meaning "Great Tit" :lol3 Seriously.
  8. dogmoon

dogmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in.
  9. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Blacktail Road from Dillon, to Centennial Divide Road and on up to Gravelly Range Road is NOT to be missed by anyone traveling along the Continental Divide. Too bad the timing didn't fit for camping one of the many gorgeous sites we saw along the way ...
  10. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
    :lurk
  11. rednax

rednax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic landscape, great pics! looking forwards to the rest !:clap:clap:clap
  12. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see your report, been waiting since I ran across you guys having lunch in Wilson Wy. Met one of your crew and steered him to the correct cafe.
    Looks like you hit Fish Springs (Utah), my old stomping grounds....
  13. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous to say the least, looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks for sharing your rides Dockingpilot.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Frank,

You guys always do a good one--what a great group of guys you ride with.

Loved the aspen pictures---yes, you hit the colors just right.

When I rode that Gravelly Range Rd. I never had anything like the colors you guys had.

Thanks Frank-----looking for more from you Joysey guys :D:D

Too bad we have to travel so far to get to the good riding out West---heck I shouldn't complain--you have a lot farther than me.

Mark
    BigDog
  15. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed the pics ! :thumb
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark ! Glad to hear from you ole friend. Happy New year to all too. You'll see Mark, we will make our way after the Oregon Trail, towards "The Bridge".
  17. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr. B !
  18. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    :bow

More please!
    :lurk
  19. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    We just finished riding the Gravelly Range and are headed southerly for Wyoming.

Duane picks up a fence nail and we get our 1st puncture.

We tried to ballast Duane's bike by putting his luggage on the front of the bike but lost the battle with gravity. The beastly KTM still had too much weight in the back so it just kinda plopped back and stuck there until we put the rear tire back on.
    [​IMG]

And it's fixed.
    [​IMG]

We are starting to think about fuel. We'll get it and grub in Island Park Id as planned.
    "Freedom" this is it fellas.
    [​IMG]

The Shambo Stage Coach location, not too far from Yellowstone Nat'l Park. At one time the stage line employed 40 people, had 80 horses and 14 stage coaches, providing service from Mondia, MT to Yellowstone
    [​IMG]

Shambo Pond
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Continental Divide at Red Rock Pass, 7120 ft. elevation. The Divide was determined by the point at which direction rivers and streams flowed; west toward the Pacific or east toward the Atlantic. The mid-point established the Divide.
    [​IMG]

We eventually came out to the paved road and Island Park where we fueled up and ate supper. It was getting late in the day.
    [​IMG]

One of the rare times Duane is not in the head. :lol3
    The food here was excellent. Island Park is a very small ......"town" ? If you blink, you;ll miss it ! :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We make camp and clean up. Duane really cleans up. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    When I come back, we start Day 3 and head into Wyoming............
    :thumb
  20. Butcho

Butcho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos...makes me want to twist it big time, I love seeing the road go on and on.......Freaking Nails....