X-Challenge - Accessories/Farkles

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Redbull Addict, Nov 19, 2007.

1. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rear is just zip tied to to a couple of holes in the fork protector.

I'm going to ride it to Vegas tonight, so I'll find out if it moves at all.
  2. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet - eager to find out how it holds!

Cheers,
    Nadim
  3. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Geoff - dude - I thot you always went for simple and practical solutions? :lol3

Here's what I did in about an hour for $.20:
    [​IMG]
  4. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    I like that solution Snooker. I had thought about drilling a hole in my HB mount and attaching the muffler mount to it, but I didn't want to put all that weight on the two little 6mm bolts that hold the racks on. Your solution still supports the mufler with the big bolt, and just keeps it from rotating by hooking it to the rack.

I am going to build a bracket like Cruz suggested, and incorporate some type of retainer like you have, and that should take care of any issues with the muffler moving around and stressing the header, or getting too close to my hose.

I will take notes and pics when I build the bracket so if it works, it can be reproduced easily.
  5. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    With all respect, your solution still balances the mass between the exhaust studs and the rear hanger. I'd prefer to have the muffler supported at two points (as intended) and have the studs going along for the ride.
  6. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    Not until you mentioned it, no.

So today I was supposed to go for a ride, but I got the days mixed up and thought my wife was taking her sister to the airport on Sunday, but it was today, so my boy and I spent the day in the shop. Better than riding, and I got something done you may be interested in.

[​IMG]

So I started out with a piece os 1 & 1/2" round tube, a big rubber plug I got at Ace Hardware, some 3/4" square tube, some 1/2" flat stock, and a hose clamp.

[​IMG]

I welded the square tube to the side if the round tube before I made the bushing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a hell of a time getting the rubber plug into the tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I get the rubber grommet in, I drilled a 15/32 hole in it as that is what the pin measured, then after a couple measurements and some cutting and grinding I had this.

[​IMG]

I had planned to weld a piece of the pipe pictured earlier to it but I didn't have much room, so I just used a piece of flat stock. Here is the finished product. I still need to paint it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pipe feels really solid, and is not close to the hose, so I will keep an eye on it, I need to go on a ride tomorrow to test some things.
  7. darrendeep6

darrendeep6 BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer:
    Please excuse my noobniss, but is the reason you didn't weld it is because the link pipe is Ti?
  8. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the pipe is made of. So that is part of why I didn't weld it.

I think, since the mission of the bracket is to hold the pipe up, it is fine just clamping it, as for the pipe to go down it would have to compress the mount, or the pipe would have to push outward away from the bike. Given the way it is all put together I am pretty sure this will work.

If I have an issue with it moving around I might drill it and put a screw through the bracket into the pipe, but I don't think that will be necessary.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So, about the suspension and the Power Commander???:ear
  10. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    Rob, your photos are excellent!

Please weld it together after you verify the position of the bracket. Yes, it shouldn't move, but swingarms shouldn't snap and Wunderlich windshield brackets shouldn't crack.
  11. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice job AZ.....
    How much separation did you leave between the header pipe and the waterhose? Any pics of that?

When does production start and how much? :deal
  12. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    Here you go, I can get my hand in there, so that should be enough. I still plan to do the header wrap thing.

As far as production goes, not me man, I can make one a day. Piece work was never my bag, that's why I work for the Government. :rofl:rofl:rofl

[​IMG]
  13. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic Tic

Tomorrow my friend, tomorrow!
  14. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    Bravo Dude:clap

Banshee and I just wrenched up the LV cans… That LV hanger looks a little weak. Your idea to use existing brackets is great!

Keep the R&D up!

Maybe you can cut a section of tube in half of two-thirds and weld it to the tab end of your square tube . Just to distribute the weight better ,then use hose clamps to secure.

If you do decide to produce , please put me down for two.…

Good on you!
  15. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    Full credit goes to Cruz, it was his idea, so i call it the Cruz exhaust hanger.

:lol3

That was my plan for the piece of exhaust pipe in my first pic where I show my supplies, but I just didn't seem to have the room to do much with it, so I thought I would try this. If it does not work, I can always try something else, but I think this will work, the pipe is solid now, where before I could grab a hold of it and wiggle it around.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The OEM bracket is triangulated from the mount to the muffler as this should spread the forces better and over a larger area.

This is what I would do. Nice effort Rob, I'm still searching for some headlights over here.

Went through some of the flooded upper reaches of the Brisbane River yesterday, A bit over 500 klms yesterday on flood damaged trails that you could lose a bike in. Suspension = :clap
  17. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Geoff I totally agree, those aluminum subframe holes (on my '07) are sketchy and tend to gall easily too. But hey most of the weight IS the exhaust muffler itself I figure, and I love the LV and this simple fix is a good start to making it reliable - yeah it's not perfect. I don't think one point of support would work well on the OEM pig of a cat-can but the LV is *much* lighter don't forget.

Rob and Cruz this is a brilliant idea and you are on to something here. Sure it's not perfect but any 80% solution beats doing NOTHING and watching your bike fail on you that much sooner. Having said that - if you were to do it again what would you do differently? I'm wondering if rubber cushioning is really necessary or a different way to do that?

Cruz, we feel for all you rain soaked Oz brothers, that is rough!

NICE JOB Rob! :clap
  18. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Probably not approved by the BMW Farkle police, but it works fine and the price was right. The wrap deteriorates on an annual basis. I think a ceramic coating might be better, but have no real world expierience.
  19. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    Mike, it's so butt-ugly! A definite two-bagger!!

But I LOVE IT. I imagine that nothing short of TEOTWAWKI is gonna move your muffler.

I don't know if ceramic coating would adequately insulate your system, but I've been shocked at the durability of the coating I had applied to the headpipes and cat (and cat bracket!) of my GSA. Great stuff for something that was sold as a "thermal/performance" coating, not a protective coating. ($175 BTW)
  20. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Geoff. It was a compliment....right? Anyway. The bags are unsafe. Sometimes you've just gotta face the music:dllama