Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping the earplug under the battery cover will do the trick.
    I have the rugged mount, so I'm direct wired. I elect to keep power on every time I remove it from the holder, then do a manual shut down. No other problems.
  2. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Ok, all I have to do now is figure out where the data fields are, and unlock them.
    I'm really so inept at this. It's hard to look at my complete ignorance on display. If I had asked such a noob question in many forums, I'd be well done from the flames.
    Thanks
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I hope you realize we are talking about the Trip Computer data fields. You can add data fields to the map screen too as long as you choose the right Dashboard.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  4. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    I was able to change both!! It helps to unlock the data fields. I went with speed, heading, distance to next, and ETA at Dest on my map. I also added six data fields to the trip computer. Then locked the data fields. Really very simple. Lots of choices. Now I've got to figure out how to set up different profiles and short cuts. Oh boy...
    Thanks.
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're working it out. The best way to learn how it works is to just play with it when you are not under pressure and needing it for guidance. Then when you really do need it, you'll know exactly how it works.
  6. AlaskaDave

AlaskaDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had similar problems regarding shutdowns. It doesn't happen often and I don't recall the roads where it happened as being especially rough. However, I will try the earplug trick even though I cannot understand why the battery connection would affect the power while connected to the AMPs mount.
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I was curious about that too at the time but mine was shutting down very often on one ride where the roads weren't rough, but I was revving the engine through the gears and it shut off or gave me the "Wrong Battery" message repeatedly until I stuck the earplug in the battery case.

My wife's did exactly the same and was cured the same way. The earplug seems to dampen the battery's movement.
  8. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    A while back, I set the Montana so that when I put it in the car mount, it switches to Automotive profile; and when I put it in the rugged mount on the motorcycle, it switches to Motorcycle profile. I noticed recently that it didn't switch. I searched everywhere I could think of and can't find where that setting is. Do any of you guys know where that is?

TIA...
  9. AlaskaDave

AlaskaDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright-y, then. Done. And thanks.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Setup/Profiles/Menu/Set Mount Profile.

I agree, it is hard to find.
  11. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh faaaack. My 600 will be here on Wednesday courtesy of FedEx and GPS City. Diving in and holding my breath. I'll still keep one of my 478's around as a back up but hope I can remember all of these posts when the time comes. :norton
  12. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

I had the same thing happen. Why does the Montana "forget" stuff???
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I think sometimes what happens is a software update breaks things like that, and you have to go back and restore the connection again through the menu.

Just a guess on my part, though.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  14. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

I did update the maps around the same time I noticed the issue. I am not saying that caused the issue but that is the only coincidence I can think of.
  15. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Do we know of a config file that holds those settings? If so, maybe we could backup that file prior to an update and then restore it after, and this would prevent it "forgetting"?
  16. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    I think it might be more user error on my part. AAAAAUUUUGH!!!

Under "External Power Only" in "Set Mount Profiles," the selection was "Last Used." I changed it to "No Change." I am guessing the change happened when I plugged it in to update the maps.

Can we get a "No Change" selection on all the features of this thing? :1drink
  17. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the power cable an integral part of the rugged mount? I can't find a pic that shows how the cable hooks in. I've always been able to have a cable on each bike and just move the cradle to the bike I was using. I don't even see a separate part number for the power cable though. Am going to need the rugged cradle with power cable for each bike?
  18. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry it is part of the rugged mount. But the car mount has a cable that can be disconnected, but the mount is only a snap in style.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    At $35 each, it's easy to justify buying a Rugged Mount for each bike but it's also easy to make the mount movable, by putting a SAE plug on the end of it, and running a cable up to the steering head of the bikes. I used to do this until I bought the second mount for my DR. Actually I still have the SAE plug on each cable, it's just that I no longer need to move the mount over. I like having the SAE plug though because when I don't need to power the gps, I can hook up a Battery Tender to the bike.

[​IMG]
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No idea if there is a config file storing those settings but I think it's more a matter of multiple files which make up the environment. It's always a good idea to back things up, but I am not convinced that a complete restore would re-establish things like "Set Mount Profile".

I've found it helps to just check once in a while, and if something looks or behaves differently, I try to restore it but not lose too much sleep over trying to figure out why it changed. But you're welcome to.

:freaky