So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. kingbob7

kingbob7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 4RT Montessa/Honda Trials bike. I decided the X country will be just fine for my BIG BIKE. I have Zega boxes, a windshield, and have done many 2000 mile trips with it. I have always been a small bike guy and have missed the fishing trips up single track like I used to do on my old Honda TL250!! I am living the dream. If you are up my way let me know. I have been following this thread for three years, and would like to thank; Drone, Geoffster, Snooker,Barstow,Plumber Mike and all the rest. You saved me money and trouble. The X Country has been a great bike for me and I will continue to ride her for a long time. Bob
  2. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know what? I'm looking for a 4 strocks trial bike at the moment as well. I use my Xcountry for the roads and trails and I love It but I miss the single tracks in the mountains I used to ride about 15 years ago with my trial bikes. Lurking at a honda (montesa) 4rt or a beta evo 4t or maybe scorpa 125 syf...:evil. Only drawback, I wish they make trials bike nowdays with a decent seat!
  3. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    A guy who lives close to me is selling his XChallenge air shock. Sounds like a deal if you're looking for one! Never seen his bike but I'll have to organize a group meeting of the XC's near me.
  4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Wow - is that really the going rate for an airshock? I just put a Hyperpro on my X today. I figured I could only get $100 or so for the airshock, so I figured I would keep it as a backup. Maybe I need to throw it in the flea market.
  5. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    dunno the market price, I'd guess somewhere in between the 2 but I'd pay a lot more than $100 for sure, if I needed one.
  6. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Couldn't sell one for $200 last year,that price was too high. SO:evil I think there a quite a few sitting around in the garages of Challenge owners.:rofl
  7. djb_rh

djb_rh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine for $100 not a few months ago. That even included shipping. It was on the flea market and I think someone saw it and posted in this thread, which is how I found it.

But it's all about supply, demand, and what the person chooses to ask to begin with, I guess. With no more than a handful on the market at a given time, anything can happen...

--Donnie
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay boys, we're letting our little thread slip a wee bit too much. I found it waaay down on page 6. We gotta keep it up.
  9. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    Okay, here's my Stayin' Alive contribution: Anyone have a BMW small shield and bracket that they aren't using and would like to sell?

My Wunderlich's bracket has cracked in so many places that measured by mass, it's more JB Weld and frame-washers/nuts/bolts than aluminum.

(Sadly, the mfg's choice of materials -- bargin basement aluminum bent at severe angles -- has soured me to the point I'm unlikely to ever buy Wunderlich again.)

Been riding with a Cee Bailey during the winter, and while it's all one would expect, it's noisy as all get-out.

If I can't find a BMW at resale prices, I'll start hacking away at the Cee Bailey.
  10. jezuar

jezuar NO NI NA

Oddometer:
  11. jezuar

jezuar NO NI NA

Oddometer:
    my last route through the marshes of the Guadalquivir river with my wife

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    Utterly bad ass, but did you see the prices of the parts for conversion?
  13. jezuar

jezuar NO NI NA

Oddometer:
    yes, but there are people for all jajajajaja
  14. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got out for a decent ride. Xtank is a lovely bit of kit. Little bit of a problem with misalignment on the front holes, but nothing that creative assembly would not fix. On a short ride a week ago, the tank would not siphon. Tracked it down to the feed line having a kink in it. Fixed that with a spring on the outside in the area of concern.
    [​IMG]
    Put another spring on the outside because I thought it looked nice
    [​IMG]
    Drained the tank fully, no problems.
    Bit disappointed with the HB centerstand, I cannot lift it up onto the stand by myself. If I lean it over, extend the stand and then stand it up it is ok. Rear wheel is about 70mm off the ground. On my old DR650 with an aftermarket stand, it was also difficult (I must need to go to the gym a bit more!) Solved that problem by putting a RHS pillion peg on the LHS and using that as a handle to lift it up. Does not work with the BM pegs though.
    I managed to grind a bit off both sides of the stand on yesterday's ride, so I cant send it back! Suspension was fully wound up, so I might need a new shock in the future.I might grind a little bit off the stop to make the stand come up a bit. Anyone give some advice on how much to grind off? I was going to take just a little a time. A lot harder to put it back on! All in all though, happy with the bike, and thats all that matters.:D
  15. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    Well, we weren't exactly out looking for another bike, but I did sort of tell a few people that I know to keep me in mind if they came across a clean G650-X, so when Owen at BMW Motorcycles of Riverside called to tell me that they had taken in an '09 X-Country that he thought we might be interested in I wasn't all that excited. But then he told me that it only had 62 miles on the clock.......................

[​IMG]

so I casually mentioned it to my wife, and before you know it we're driving to Riverside to let her take it for a test drive.............

[​IMG]

and the next thing you know she is standing with her check book out asking about a tank bag or tailbag that would fit, and telling me to get on the stick and sell a bike or two to make room in the garage for her new X-Country.

Oh yeah- thanks to all of the posters and X-Country gurus working this thread. I spent countless hours reading through 500+ pages of posts confirming that this is the bike we want, and will doubtlessly spend as much time researching the thread and linked pages in prepping the bike and getting it set up "just so". I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions.

Mark
  16. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!! Tell her we said Congratulations! Will we see you on both on the road soon? :)
  17. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    Gene-

Well, we've been following your progress and figure we gotta wait until you are well out of range of those Tacos de Cabezas. We've been trying to work out when you will be in Chile or Argentina..........that or we'll have to bring a lot of Pink Pepto. When are you crossing the Darien Gap?

Mark
  18. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another bit of advice required. There is a post on the Aus fleamarket for some Xchallenge bits. I am looking at the staintune exhaust and the touratech rack. Would these bits fit my xcountry?
    Thanks
  19. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    The rack WILL NOT fit. Been there, tried that, failed.
  20. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, I did suspect that it would be a problem. The staintune website only shows a G650X and when I rang them today, they only checked it on the XChallenge. Maybe I might just buy a leovince can and be done with it. Will check some posts on the exhaust thread or any info gratefully received.