Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, surgery was Thursday. Tendons reconnected and stitched up :D

Sorry JJ!
  2. Derailleur

Derailleur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When soldering connections onto the switch which has replaced your ignition be sure to put the protective rubber boot back on the switch before you solder, or at least before you leave to cross the city, otherwise said switch with exposed contacts will touch the tank and short out your ignition circuit blowing the fuse, multiple times.:eek1

Good thing I had a stock of spare fuses with me, although now down to 7.5A instead of 10A as I ran through the stock of 10A. It is now all insulated up.
  3. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the can of Expanding foam you are using to repair the insulation in a panel in the workshop keeps on getting blocked up. Do not take said can outside in frustration, stand it on top a one of the Jeeps you have awaiting restoration and shoot it 'to show that F*((r who's boss. Satisfying as it was pulling the trigger, the resulting nearly full can of foam does go a very long way. A very long way.. Whilst you're cleaning it off the outside walls of the barn, and compressor and, we'll you get the idea, you will have plenty of time to re-consider your decision to shoot aforementioned can. :bluduh:bluduh

[​IMG]
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Dood!:lol3 ^^^
  5. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Maroon!

(do it again and post video :deal )
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Alton

Alton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't skimp and buy OSB when you should be using particle board, melamine, or plywood. 4 coats of primer later you know exactly why the particle board or melamine was a better choice, even if the OSB was 60% the cost of the cheapest of the others.
  7. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Note to self;

If you fall for the KLR pricing of the vaneer foamed back no-glue wood flooring from Manards. Buy carpet tape. Cut 1/2 the tounge off the long side. And install as directions show, but add a strip of carpet tape under the "groove" side as you lay it down. :baldy
  8. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:

What application are you thinking of? If it's somewhere where appearance matters and strength doesn't, then I agree, particle board or melamine or even high quality plywood would be better than OSB. But if you care about strength or resistance to occasional moisture, particle board is a poor choice.
  9. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After having driven through the rain to the dock where your boat is moored, don't leave the bike for a few days wet under a waterproof cover in a marine environment while you're out enjoying the sun that finally showed itself.. Your cover will turn into a steam sauna and the virtually new chain will start to rust instantanously, and degrade to the point of no salvation.
  10. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and a related note:

Don't drive the bike halfway home across the European continent with a half-rusted chain, and DEFINITELY not all the way back again. You'll learn that the chain that rusted while parked at the marina in fact was beyond salvation, no matter how much chain lube you drench it with.

(I'm a damn lucky SOB that chain didn't snap on the German Autobahns..)<!-- google_ad_section_end --> :rolleyes
  11. Alton

Alton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm making cabinets for the garage and laundry room. I'm not concerned about the particle board since we've had a PB cabinet in the laundry room for 10 years and its still fine.

I already took the rest of the OSB back and replaced it with particle board for the other set of cabinets and the lockers I will be building. 4 coats on the inside and bottoms of the OSB carcasses and they still look crappy. Luckily I'm doing pine face and pine shaker doors that will paint and look nice.
  12. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I would agree that OSB would be a poor choice for cabinets.

But for walls in a garage, I would prefer it to particle board. I'd be afraid that if I put screws into particle board walls to hang stuff, the particle board would eventually crumble there and the screws come loose.

But then of course there's always 7-ply baltic birch plywood . . .
  13. A brake bleeder like this is great, but you really want to make sure the internal rubber seal is seated properly on the bleeder nipple :bluduh

[​IMG]

Once the caliper has been cleaned and lubed, and the pads have been replaced, and the whole system reassembled and tested at very low speed, the pads will have to be bedded in. Until this happens, they might be considered anti-stop brakes :eek1

But that was Sunday. Today I learned that PB Blaster can help free up bolts, but it can also somewhat re-liquefy asphalt.

And I need to get some more waterless, towel-less hand cleaner.
  14. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and you definitely want to make sure that you don't hook the container on one of these up backwards, so that the suction handle happens to be connected to the hose going down to the bottom of the container:

[​IMG]

You got any hand cleaner to spare? You can use that in your face too, right? :bluduh
  15. pmacb

pmacb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before mindlessly topping up your car's windshield washer fluid from the only jug in the garage that wasn't filled with a blue liquid, pause to consider that your thrifty father-in-law may have filled an empty & unlabeled windshield washer fluid jug with kerosene to use on some project or another.
    :becca

It takes a surprising long time to try to float all of that kerosene out of the windshield washer fluid reservoir with a garden hose. It makes a mess on the driveway, too.
    :ddog

pmacb
  16. Pugsley/Hobbfather

Pugsley/Hobbfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You invented a new old idea, and washed it out all over the driveway...:norton
  17. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    Always count the links in your old chain and cut the new one down to size BEFORE pressing the side plate onto the master link. This will save you from haywiring something up to pry said side plate back off the pins so you CAN take off those 2 extra links.
  18. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Worse yet is cutting the chain too short. :cry
  19. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better that than Ruglyde. I've almost done that a couple of times.

I might have added some Dawn.
  20. pmacb

pmacb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea. The only problem was I was a little too :kboom to think clearly...

pmacb