Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    2hrs on the mtn bike today. Since my buddy has a Garmin he can tell me that we averaged 5mph. :lol

Can you say 'toodle?' I can. The goal for the day was to not break a sweat. Pretty well managed that.

I was out scouting trails for the hash I'm haring on Dec 23rd if any of y'all wanna come out to Nokesville and run (yes, I said run) thru my local patch of woods.

M
  2. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I SO want one of those T-shirts! Who's selling them? :ear
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Had the flu/crud all week, but today was too nice to waste indoors. Got out for 9miles of single track at 7 mph avg. Only hacked up a couple of phlegm balls. Passed a guy with a leaf blower clearing the trails.:clap He got in some miles today.:rofl
  4. Motocicletta

Motocicletta ridetowork

Oddometer:
    Verizon 3G service, Sansung Illusion phone, I loose GPS signal on Strava and Mapmyride apps, lots of straight lines connecting locations where the GPS reconnects, Google MyTraks works great instead and keeps acuurate GPS tracking during the ride.

Any ideas as to why ? Bad phone ? I'd prefer to use Strave or MApmyride because both are more bicycle specific.

Now I import the *.gpx file to RidewithGPS to keep records of my rides:

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1013179/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'm legal to race again. Just renewed my license. 13mos for the price of 12

:thumb

M
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Strava, right? :wink:
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Ya know... if I had a strava account, I may post races on it to see if I couldn't match those speeds solo. ...but I'd probably just use Training Peaks, the Garmin Software, etc instead of posting anything publically.

Why do I want my competition to know how fast I'm going before I outsprint em?!

Thinking about track racing just now. Can you imagine the 'strava segment' around the track?! :rofl

M
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some time ago, I was downloading to Garmin, but, thought "Why?'. I don't really give a shit. I just wanna' ride.

You sly dog! :lol3

There's a velodrome, down in St Louis. It's pretty rough, but, there's a decent crowd.

Major Taylor velodrome in Indianapolis is super-nice. If I lived there, I think I'd buy a track bike. They have a skate/BMX park, right there, too.
  9. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Yer damn skippy!

you wanna get fast in a hurry? Race track. :nod LOTS and LOTS of seated power comes outta track racing. I useta be able to outsprint people sitting down. Its fun to watch em flailing about on their bikes as you're pedaling smoothly away from em. :ricky

...but I can't climb a hill quickly to save my life!

M
  10. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    We had a lottery pool at work and someone asked what I'd do if I won a share.

They had never heard of a velodrome before. :lol3
  11. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thing one here also--build a velodrome if'n we win the lottery.

250m, wood, indoors!
  12. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't know if that's what I do, but, to each their own.

This gives one an idea of the standards of the place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The BMX/skatepark.
    [​IMG]
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    ChisenhallW ain't home, but boy howdy! does HE have a story.

...so does my buddy B.

I'll let him tell C his side first. :augie

Oh, B and I did 3-laps and then 2-laps at race pace. Got gapped by a bit on the first one after I dropped my chain from the outer to inner ring after an off-camber uphill leading into an uphill/rise (as much as there're hills where I am) and lost focus. I just couldn't close a 10m gap in the second. 0 for 2 but B was fixin to puke and I wasn't. Seems I didn't dig hard enough gotta work on that. :bluduh

M
  14. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    3:20 and 42 mi. out in the mud and muck on the MTB today. I've got to get some winter tires, the back end was bound and determined to pass the front in every other corner (Continental Race Kings). Something not too knobby with a nice round profile since I ride from the house on the road to get to most rides. Your suggestions are welcome. :ear
  15. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    No rides for a week now and it's spitting rain and I worked til midnight last night and I went to a funeral 100mi away today.

So many excuses. So few miles. :cry
  16. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
  17. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    You get those pics uploaded yet?!

:mrskbasa

M
  18. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I got out today on the Fat Chance, for 2 1/2 hours. It was kind of warm, in the high 40's. There was a group of horse nuts having an equestrian event, and they had a table set up with food. Offered us some hot soup after we returned. It was a nice way to end the ride. :clap
  19. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've been having some trouble at our local trail with riders who refuse to obey the one-signs. There have been several crashes and near crashes in just the last two weeks. On Saturday my buddy Dave was out there when someone came rocketing around a blind turn, going the wrong way. Apparently this was someone who had been warned about it several times. Dave gave the guy a stern talking to :pain, but things got out of hand, :fight:jomomma and by the time I arrived, the other guy was lying in a crumpled heap on the ground. We decided it might be best to do our Strava runs another day. :augie
  20. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Lap of today's race

http://vimeo.com/54553281

The run-up after the dam kicked my rear end. The downhill on the other side did too, but for a different reason. Can you say 'washboard in a chute?' [​IMG]

Got a half decent start. IOW I didn't lose as many spots as I did last time at the very start. I DID lose some in the first few sets of turns and the first time up the first hill. I kept picking people off in onesies and twosies. I was a few hundred meters behind my buddy C coming out of the end of the gravel section. Managed to get within 30-40m. If I'da had another lap, I bet I coulda picked him off. I seem to get better as the race goes on. Means I need to do something about my warmups. [​IMG] Come in hotter and stay that way as opposed to what I've been doing. Guess I need to actually start bringing (and using) my folding trainer. [​IMG] I think I'm gonna ride out the last 2 races of the season 'as is' and break out the trainer for next year.

I'm getting faster. I'm not back where I was when I was in Sandy Eggo, but its coming back. Next fall *should* see me doing better. Next fall may also see me in the Master's 45+ but [​IMG] It may be a case of 'get my rear end handed to me in the afternoon' or 'hand someone their rear end midday.' [​IMG] We'll see.

There's a 'mandatory upgrade' coming. Do 10 Cat 4 races and get upgraded to a Cat 3. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The up side to me upgrading to a 3 is I could potentially race with my teammates and *try* to help them out. Again, we'll see. I train enough to be a good 4, and OK 3, or a piss-poor 1/2

M