Specific to Women

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by VelvtRide, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    This tip: Two-gallon ziplock bag to wash laundry in when there's no sink, or no sink plug, or whatever else.

I haven't seen before and it's a terrific idea. I use ziplocks for all sorts of things and that just one more useful idea.

Thanks.
  2. Kissy_Liz_1977

Kissy_Liz_1977 Live Spherically

Oddometer:
    St. Charles, MO (AKA the armpit of the world)
    My SO and I are planning a trip from good ol' St. Louie to White Sands in New Mexico next month. Up until now all my riding has been day trips, so all the info I've found on the forum has been SUPER helpful in trying to figure out not only what, but how much stuff to pack for the ride. You ladies have thought of some stuff I would have not thought to pack, and I'm betting that I'll be glad I took your advice. :)

Lots of people mentioned having ICE information handy. Years ago, I bought a little wrap around thingy from a place called Rescue Facts that goes around the chin strap on my helmet (it's surprisingly comfy too). It is a little velcro do-dad that inside has a form with picture of me and all my important information. Blood type, who to contact, allergies, all that good stuff is on there. The idea being that if I'm in an accident one of the first things they'll do is remove my helmet (regardless of where the bike ends up). Then voila! There's my info! Yes, I get no end of teasing from my SO about it, but hey, it makes sense to me. Just thought I'd share in case someone else finds it to be a helpful way to carry their ICE info.
  3. alpiner84

alpiner84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to help :D

I like that idea: very logical. Is it obvious what it is when you remove the strap?
  4. Kissy_Liz_1977

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the chin strap wrap around thingy is obvious, but not obvious. You can't see it from a distance really because it's black and frankly I wear a full face helmet. So it doesn't scream at someone when I'm wearing it or if it's sitting on a table or something. However it is made of nylon type material and has embroidery on it with a medical symbol and it says 'RESCUE FACTS INSIDE'. No way someone is going to over look it if they're trying to remove my helmet. Of course this is assuming that my helmet isn't removed during the accident itself. Call me paranoid, but I also ride with my licence in my pocket and my organ donor card (with blood type) taped securely to the back of it. I figure if I loose my helmet and jacket in an accident, there won't be enough of me left to 'rescue' anyway.....
  5. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Rescue Facts found here: https://www.rescuefacts.com/ $14.95 for the motorcycle strap.

I always carry wet wipes in a ziplock along with the TP. Why? If you've ever had traveler's revenge in the middle of nowhere, you'll understand why it's so much nicer having something larger and moist for cleanup. Sorry if that's gross. I also carry a small tube of Aveeno moisturizer. I get really dry skin, and while it's additional weight, it's worth it. If I'm traveling in the U.S., I see no reason to buy anything other than travel sizes because it's easy to resupply. I also carry a small bottle of 100% DEET. I am a mosquito magnet and nothing else works as well.
  6. Kissy_Liz_1977

Oddometer:
    Ok, this may seem like a stupid question.... but here goes....

In a few weeks I'll be taking a long ride, at mostly highway speeds. I have slightly longer than shoulder length hair, and I find that if I pull my hair into a low pony tail (or god forbid leave it to flow in the wind) I end up with a rat's nest by the time I'm done with a long, fast ride (although it works just fine for shorter slower ones). My hair is too short to braid, or to wear one of those leather pony tail holder thingys.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve my little 'rats nest' hair problem? Short of cutting off all my hair that is....

Thanks!

:icy
  7. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:

have you tried two pig tails instead of one pony tail? you may find out that you can braid two sides easier than just the back.
  8. adventure girl

adventure girl Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer:
    Go to the nearest Harley shop, and get one of the leather pony tail thingys. It works great, and you can always cut it to length! I have been using it for years, and I only have a few tangles right at the ends, easy to get out. I use it for dirtbiking as well as street, and I have longer than shoulder length hair. Even if you braid, it will still be tangled if you don't cover it. I promise the leather "condom" does the trick!!

Oh, and I also used to do the two-braid technique, that does work pretty well.
  9. bluepoof

bluepoof insert pithy saying here

Oddometer:
    I just put multiple ponytail holders in my hair. One at the base of my neck, another about 2" below that, another about 2" below that one, and so on.
  10. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    I go with two low pig-tails when hair's too short to braid. As soon as it grows a tiny bit, I use two braids.
  11. WNDRLST

WNDRLST Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, how I wish I had found this thread before I set off on my first 2-week motorcycle trip, last summer! But I'm reading through it now, happily jotting down ideas on my packing list for my 2-week trip at the end of this month (just from New Mexico to Monterey, CA, all on pavement, but mostly camping).

The hair thing is my own personal bugaboo. My hair was so trashed after last summer's riding that I cut off most of it, and ended up with a short bob. Now it's long enough again to tangle during rides, and I've only found 2 things that help:

1. Two pig tails (mentioned above), or

2. Put it in a low pony tail, but don't pull the ends all the way through on your last pass. This leaves your hair in a loop at the back, just below the nape of your helmet, and while it will eventually come out and start to tangle, I just redo it during stops, when I take my helmet off for a drink or more lip balm.

When it gets long enough, I will try tucking into my neck buff, as one fellow femme rider recommended.

Cheers!
  12. Ed~

Ed~ What, Me Worry?

Oddometer:
    I've found that even my shortest pony tail can fit inside the riding jacket collar.

I much rather prefer my hair inside the jacket than have to deal with the results of wind-blown knots after even a 5 min ride. And I've never felt it on my back when riding.

That's assuming that everyone wears a proper riding jacket of course. No T-shirt or tank-top riding allowed, right? We're not on Hogs anyway.

Oh... Am I allowed to comment? :rofl
  13. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    I know a thing or two about riding with long hair :lol3

Always use conditioner and never ever ride with the hair open. Normally I keep it inside the jacket, because it's just less hassle (though it sticks out on the bottom if the jacket is short). And if you helmet fits right (ie tight) don't have any hair-clips inside the helmet - or you get a headache.

[​IMG]
  14. azia

azia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I braid my hair but I also hate the crinkling it makes afterwards and the little pieces that stick out along the braid since my hair is so fine and thin. I do this instead....tie the tail up in sections...
    _
    (_)
    (_)
    (_)
    (_)
    /||\

When I take out the bands, I get nice waves instead. :)
  15. alpiner84

alpiner84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sloppy bun with one ponytail holder, just below the helmet. I did the braid thing for a little while, but found that the sloppy bun really kept it tangle-free. Also, taking off the helmet with a braid left me with scary frizzy sidehair, whereas the bun could just be taken out and shaken out in a second, and redone in five seconds when I got back on the bike. Different strokes...
  16. adventure girl

adventure girl Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer:

I want hair like that! Gorgeous!
    But only on some days....:rofl
  17. brazen13

brazen13 frabjous!

Oddometer:
    that is such a cute illustration! love it! :D

I use this Raci Babi thing: http://www.2uptouring.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx?C=24 I bought it at the BMW rally last year and I love it. I never have any knots anymore. It is one more thing to gear up with but I think it's worth it.
  18. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    Not hair related, but wanted to give a shout out to Sans Sand for organizing a beginner level all-women off-road ride at the BMW rally next week. I'm really lucky to have a patient husband and a non-ego co-ed riding group here, but not all women have that environment to learn in.

All brands welcome if you happen to be in Sedalia, MO on 7/20 :)
  19. Newstar

Newstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to this! We have quite a few women signed up from brand new beginner to intermediate levels. Should be a great time.

Back to hair, Mine is below the shoulder. I'll put two or three bands in to a pony tail but what I found that works best is Hedz or HAD.

http://www.had-land.de/images/pdf/1_HADoriginal.pdf

I slip the whole thing over my head and then pull the end back so it leaves my hair in the center tube. No mess and no tangles.
  20. SansSand

SansSand Dirty Smile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dawn and so true our group is great!
    This is going to be a great event and we are getting such positive feedback from woman all ages who have been wanting an opportunity to wade in to off pavement. I feel very blessed by the response and by :clapbeing a part of it all! Thanks to Tracy for all her help too!!! She told me to run with it. And boy did I!:clap