Ultra Light Batteries

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by herrhelmet, Oct 17, 2010.

1. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:

The new Ballistic Batteries are unbelievable. That's why I've become a dealer. I was just looking for a way to develop a super strong water tight case and found these. They now come with a balance charger plug and I will be selling the special balance chargers. Since they will hold their voltage for up to a year, these chargers are just for maintaining perfect cell voltage. (Theoretical lifespan of over 10 years for a battery when the cells are balanced.)

As long as you have no parasitic drain (other than the fan coming on for a few minutes) I would not hesitate to go on a RTW trip with one.
  2. luso

luso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After shutting down bike the only think on will be the fan..........I dont really use to many gadgets,only GPS when looking for something in particular and cell charger.
    Do you have them in stock and how long to get them in NJ 07029 after ordering?
    Do you have the 2 cables to connect to the old ones in stock ?
  3. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    I have both the Sycl 6.9 and the 12 Cell Ballistic in stock right now. I can ship today, guessing that for NJ most likely be there by Monday at the latest. Possibly sooner. I have the 6" cables with the quick disconnects, but your existing cables will connect directly to either. If you need an extension cable for your relocation, we can make these in any length you want too. They can be standard terminal lugs at each end. We use 6AWG welding grade cable for those. It takes a couple of extra days if you want the cable shipped.

Here's the complete product selection so you can see. Just send a note with your order on the length you would need.

http://shop.testsycl.com/main.sc
  4. luso

luso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the Ballistic comes with no cables?.........if i just purchase the 3 ft cables they would hook on the battery and to my cables?....or I need 2 set of cables if i want to relocate and use the Ballistic battery?.........sorry for all the questions.
  5. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

No problem. All the batteries come with connections to a OEM battery box set up. Plug and play. For an extension you can add just the length you need and bolt up using the lugs and connect or you can replace the entire cable where it connects to your main connection. 3 ft cable would work and you only would need one with lugs on both ends.
  6. luso

luso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes,I would like to only have the minimum connections possible.....so I can order with 2ft or 3ft cables that would hook to the battery and directly to the bike cables?
  7. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

Yes, if you want to keep it simple and not tear the bike down, I would send the cables with bolts and heat shrink to connect cable to cable... You would just need to figure out the length. 2 ft. or less is not a problem. Just leave a comment on the order and we will make it so.
  8. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in a Ballistic Battery for a 2008 Husky TE610. The website only lists the TE610 for 2000-2001. Which battery would you reccommend?
  9. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    I would go with the 8 cell Ballistic most definitely.
  10. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't see the weights listed for the Ballistic batteries. What does the 8 cell weigh?
  11. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

Weight: 825 grams (1.81 lb) It weighs 5 ounces more than the Sycl 4.6 Ah because of the plastic case.
  12. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    I've been asked for pictures of Sycl battery installation on KTM 450s and 525s.

The 2.3 Ah works great for normal conditions. It just gets zip tied in. Not the cleanest install, but a customer sent this to me:

[​IMG]

Notmybikemodelname and I use the larger 4.6 Ah for the extra power and also for very cold weather starts...

[​IMG]

No foam or rubber needed. Just make sure everything is tight.

One other comment about zip ties. They do wear out over time. I replace mine once a year. They just get brittle and could break.

(I've also wound up with a whole bundle of brittle ones I brought out with me for field repairs that were no good.)

Next I will post the Ballistic battery installation in an F650 GS.
  13. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Instead of zip ties it would be maybe better to sew some double sided velcro onto thick elastic strap. Basically a mini version of the Andy Strapz.
  14. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Good idea. I think you can just get those off-the-shelf in different sizes. Probably last a lot longer than zip ties. Zip ties seem the quick solution for most because you don't need to cut up your battery box to modify. Only in some cases you need to drill small holes.
  15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the difference in the way you and ballistic calculate an amp-hour ratings?

I assume cell-construction wise the SYCL 4.6 AH batttery is the same as the 8 cell Ballistic battery since both use A123 cells, the main difference being the hard-shell case for the Ballistic. The SYCL is listed at 4.6 AH while the Ballistic specification lists 15 Pbeq A/H. How does one compare the different specifications?
  16. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Both batteries use identical cells. I started using the 2.3, 4.6 and 6.9 Ah because that's how A123 Systems rated the cells

http://www.a123systems.com/products-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm

A bank of four 3.3V cells = 13.2V at 2.3 AH. 2 banks in parallel doubles that to 4.6, etc.

Ballistic and other manufacturers are going with the Pbeq rating to make it easier to compare to lead acid. Even though their actual AH capacity is less they have a more favorable discharge rating, so they use that chemistry term.

You could compare a 15 Pbeq A/H battery to the lead acid with the same A/H rating. But the CCA of the LiFePO4 will always be higher.

Ballistic also lists a slightly higher CCA rating for their comparable units. I can't honestly say why. It's possible because of their construction, less current is lost going through the cables that the Sycl batteries have.
  17. GabeRmrz

GabeRmrz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't see anything about foam spacers when I look at the ballistic batteries. Do you sell them separately?
  18. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

Sorry for the slow response. Here is what they pack in now. There is a molded piece of foam that is designed to be cut and used in an oversize battery box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    I'm getting new inventory on Ballistic batteries so these need to go.

We have an unlimited $10 coupon code: BARSTOW, but the sale prices below are good until Thanksgiving day...

The Sycl 4.6Ah battery is on sale for $129.99 + $10 Off ADV rider coupon code:

BARSTOW

So you end up paying only $119.99

These batteries are perfect for custom builds and 4 stroke bikes up to 650cc.

The Ballistic EVO2 8 Cell ON SALE FOR $139.99

(Lowest price anywhere with an additional $10 Off ADV rider coupon code: BARSTOW)

So you end up paying only $129.99

The Ballistic EVO2 8 Cell uses the same A123 Cells (not knockoffs or remanufactured) is in a water/heat resistant case and offers conventionally places hi-quality brass terminals. No need for quick-disconnects. Because of better contact between battery terminals and the cells they offer slightly better cranking power too.These are our workhorse batteries for many, many applications;

Check here for the application chart: http://www.ballisticparts.com/tech/batteryApplication.php

[​IMG][​IMG]

Buy them here: http://shop.testsycl.com/Motorcycle-Batteries_c2.htm
  20. Brad S.

Brad S. Sr. noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just placed an order