HPN Paris Dakar replica

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by adventure950, Jul 19, 2011.

1. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the positives Tanami, so today I started the build - only to find I have misplaced several bits - Bugger back down to the other workshop tomorrow -thats an 80 mile round trip I dont need.[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Afew more pics as she goes together here I have fitted the battery box, swing arm, suspension and toolbox IMG]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/rallyejake/P5020133.jpg[/IMG][​IMG]
  3. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    oops one did not work here it is [​IMG]
  4. Clay Spinner

Clay Spinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good so far! Very excited about seeing the finished project... the colour scheme look very nice!
  5. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Hi Cannuck , cheers hope to have her together this weekend. The paintwork is a bit tarts handbag in some ways - its very in your face I usually like biukes very plain - but in for a penny so I dived in all the way.
    Bye the way last year I looked at a bmw down near Birmingham for £1600 that was being sold as a special, I did not buy it but it was certainly along the lines of an early HPN but not quite right. In retrospect I reckon it to be one of the early french privateers bikes and I have just noticed its up on E bay it has a bigger tuned engine, extended swing arm and usd forks white power shocks etc I think it may be a genuine dakar bike of its age. At £1600 it was worth a risk but now the guy wants £7000 take a look http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-BMW-...Motorcycles&hash=item1c2692bbd4#ht_500wt_1361
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    That bike is being discussed in UKGSer. Not a true Dakar. Just an early, well done, DIY. The GBP1600 was the sale by the original builder owner. The GBP7000 is the purchaser being a squid. Rob Farmer included the original GBP 1600 e-bay add in the UK GSer discussion. Its a nice bike for all of that.

Your bike is coming together very nicely. I love it :clap
  7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Adv950.
    I had to do a double take as the pics run horizontally.
    I want to see some pics of you lofting the front wheel:D
  8. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    I like that ebay bike - definitely worth 1600 GBP in my book! 7000 on the other hand...

But your bike, Jake - fantastic! All the little details you've spent time on are now more obvious after paint. The way the rear subframe is mounted for example. Very, very nice.
  9. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Today I sorted out 90% of the electrics got the front end built up and the dash fitted, the exhaust all fitted . heres a few pics[​IMG][​IMG]
  10. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Here i popped the tank and seat on just to see what she is going to look like. I have decided to recover the seat in Black though so thats another job to get on with

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  11. noelm

noelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The seat looks good just as it is!
  12. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Hi Noelm the seat looks oK I agree but when I recovered it to the blue and white there are two minor errors in the way I made up the cover ( its a learning curves) But as I need to remove the cover to put the faults right I decided to get some more black colour onto the bike and maybe doing that will pull the bike back a bit so she becomes a bit understated you know blends into the background and does not get noticed :wink: cheers for the interest and comments Jake.
  13. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate, no chance! :D
  14. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    I have got the bike body work, hand guards wiring etc all finished I am just waiting to get my front wheel back sort out the front brake set up and have had to order a new clutch piston/ thrust bearing once these are done I will be up and rolling. Oh and I re covered the seat last night now its just plain black couple of photos here [​IMG][​IMG]
  15. Clay Spinner

Clay Spinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Username change...

Could we see the seat done in a red to match the marl. sticker/design on the tank! :D
  16. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Yes Sir - I will get right onto that - cheeky bugger.
  17. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of her as she was for the years before when I was travelling a bit more before the restoration - see if you can you spot the changes.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  18. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Nice to see the before and after! Right now I’m doing just what you did with the Kreiga bag on the tank. Did you just put eyelets in the straps for the bolts to go through?
  19. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Yes mate that's exactly what i done. Eyelets in the straps.
  20. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Well today she was wheeled out into the sunlight she is all but ready to ride just set up the carbs and add a few final touches Here are the results of 6 months work.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]