The Ninth Generation Ford F Series Trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by a1fa, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Peter.thepiper

Peter.thepiper n00b

Oddometer:
    I have always been a car guy and was never really into trucks until recently. Some buddies of mine took me off roading and ever since I've been hooked!

I definitely love the way 9th Gen F250's look. But that's all I really know about them. Sadly, I'm a super newb when it comes to 4x4's. I'm looking to pick up a F250 here soon and I'm going to go look at this guys rig this weekend. Its a 1992 F250 4x4 with the 5.8L V8 manual transmission. Has some sort of lift but idk what. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

Anyone & everyones help is appreciated. One more question, how can I tell which transmission variation it has?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    I dig it.

How many miles?
    Solid axle or TTB (twin traction beam)?
    Low range "granny tranny" or regular 5-speed?

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
  3. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about 1967-72 fords? They are my favorite. Probabily because i have one...:lol3[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the 9th gen fords. 4.9L inline 6 (300 ci) and the 7.3L v8 (460 ci) can not be beaten. We have a 1997 F-250. single cab, auto, 7.3L gas and it is a great truck. It has 175K on it now. Good daily driver, camp truck and camp/trailer hauler.
    [​IMG]

In the family we also have a Custom ordered 1997 f-350. Crew cab, 5 speed, 7.3L diesel. Every thing else on the truck is custom ordered. No performance mods though. Beautiful. Great camp truck. It pulled a 7,000 pound trailer and a camper up Eisenhower pass In colorado doing 75mph.
  4. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Beautiful truck. Well as a start see if it runs and drives. Try and shift trough all 5 gears and back down. Try shifting into 4hi and 4low. See if it has any problems with that, I see rust over the rear wheel wells. Check if that is the only rust on the truck. And get rid of that propane tank :rofl I dont see much body damage though. For the right price I would take it.
  5. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Someone has been doing some stuff with that truck. That is an airbag steering wheel. They didnt come around till 94 and never were put in F250 or bigger. F150 only. Also the badges on the front fenders are the older 87-91 style. Kinda odd little things I noticed from the pictures. If it came with the 5.8 it should be a ZF transmission. No 5.8s came with a M5OD. But given the things I already see swapped around who knows whats in it without seeing it. M5OD has the slave cylinder inside of the bell housing, ZF it is outside. Easiest way tell.
  6. Peter.thepiper

Peter.thepiper n00b

Oddometer:
    137xxx miles
    TTB
    5-speed with granny 1st
    6" lift with 33.5" tires

asking $2000 obo
  7. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only owned 4 vehicles in my life. In order:
    1. 95 Ranger
    2. 96 F-150, 302. Still drove after 220k. Only thing replaced was: fuel pump and the entire rear end (had a diff. leak and only noticed it when it was too late).
    3. 07 Colorado
    4. 94 Bronco. Current cage.

Nothing wrong with the Chevy. Just didn't feel right.

I always wanted a Bronco from this generation and this one seems to be a little problematic. I think the PO's did some half ass work on it. Oil drain pan leaked a little on the exhaust x-over. Come to find out the seal folded on itself. Still continues to leak and I assume it to be the rear main seal. Some of the sensors are whack and there's a short in the wiring for my dome light. I still love it. Rear panels are starting to rust. The rust was dormant when I lived in Colorado but now that I'm out East, the humidity is taking it's toll. The 96 F-150 I drove seemed to be the only year Ford got it right. I drove that one in Missouri where we still used salt for a period of time before switching to gravel and I never had an issue with rusting.

[​IMG]

All I've done to it so far was replace the leaking oil pan gasket, installed a high flow oil pump, 4.10 LSD over the 3.55 open, and the 33 Yoko's. Still need to regear the front.
  8. PowerT

PowerT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually you can find a crew cab F150 of that vintage. Google Centurion F150.
    [​IMG]
  9. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My very first vehicle in 1985 was a 1982 Ford F150 reg cab long bed, 300 ci inline 6 auto, with the explorer pkg.

I would pass on 1/2 ton trucks older than 10 years old for everyday drivers, as they are terrible in collision protection.
  10. RustyPhoenixMotors

RustyPhoenixMotors Oops...

Oddometer:
    The Centurion is actually Fords version of a Suburban... What you have pictured there is a crew cab with a topper on the bed.

Centurions were trucks added to Broncos, or Stretched Broncos, apparently Ford built them two different ways.

[​IMG]

Ford has built 4 door crewcabs since '73, although they are pretty hard to find. Not sure if they did crew cabs or super cabs with the bumpsides (67-72), seems like they may have for government use only or something but I dont remember.
  11. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Star-Bellied Sneetch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, so instead of the vehicle absorbing the energy of impact, your body does.
  13. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    Was there an engine in the Bel Air? And more importantly, why the fuck crash a Bel Air? :cry

I'm not arguing with which one is better/safer, after all we're out there on 2, or in some cases, one wheel with no steel/airbags around us...

Ko
  15. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    What is the difference between a 2002, a 2003, and a 2004 GM pickup as far as structure and crash protection goes?
  16. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/

Apparently so. And yes, a shame to destroy what seemed to be a very solid car. Very interesting result, though. It certainly swayed my opinion on the theory of mass=safety.
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    That's a great question. Find a Chevy thread and ask it there. Probably get more informed answers. This is a Ford Guy thread.

:D

M
  18. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    :ken

My point is... Nothing... There is no difference.

To say "don't buy a ten year old truck because of safety issues" is stupid, especially when the 8, 9, 11, and 12 year old trucks are exactly the same.

:deal
  19. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Ford didn't build them.
  20. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    10YO trucks are different than the trucks we're discussing here. The 9th gen aka OBS* were last made in 1996.

Now off to the Chevy guy thread with you!

:D

M

*Old Body Style