Map of the countries that are most and least welcoming to foreigners

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Ruan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Ruan

Ruan Adventurer to be

Oddometer:
  2. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on Venezuela but in my opinion the rest of the map is pretty accurate for North, Central and South America. I would rate Argentina higher than the colour shown for it, I found the people very friendly helpful and really interested in my travels, never ran into any assholes . I think Bolivia deserves the colour it got, about half of the people there were nice helpful and kind, with the other half the attitude seemed to be what the hell are you doing here? imho:clap
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that map is bullshit. Or politics. Oh wait a minute, what´s the difference....?? :lol3

For example, for me Iran, Pakistan and Indonesia were all a dozen times more welcoming to tourists, than anywhere in Europe. Maybe the map makers never bothered to go there, but just read the papers and made up their mind. Just my 0.02.

edit. Mark a country the size of Russia with one solid color, which means, that attitudes towards foreigners will be the same in central Moscow, and in faraway corners of the Siberia? Ok fine, but I don´t buy it.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  5. Eyore

Eyore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Presumably published before the Snowden revlelations:D
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I disagree based on one data point.

I spent several months in China a few years ago, from western China, across the interior to the coast. The people there were overwhelmingly friendly. I don't recall once ever coming across anyone at all who was even remotely unfriendly.

I don't know where they got their data, but if they can't get China right, I don't have much faith in the rest.

Jamie
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    I'm not lookin at their data ... not an american.

But they could have taken some influence from visa requirements, and that may bias the results to the 'official attitude' rather than the actual travelers experience.
  8. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps they should of based their chart on the experiences of people who have been to these countries and it would tell a somewhat different story. To those who have been there and that includes myself and many of my friends the country which rates highest in the hospitality ratings is usually Iran. No I am not joking, the people are friendly, hospitable and generous, the chances of being ripped off are minimal and even officials like the police who you may come in contact with often start the conversation with a handshake and "welcome to Iran".
    The attitude of the government is in no way a reflection on the people who when privacy permits will often criticize their leaders.

Don't just take my word for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2LEgowbzSc
  9. ta-rider

ta-rider Returned from Africa

Oddometer:
    It depends a lot on your nationality. US passport holders are not very wellcome in aeabic countrys and often have to pay a higher price for their visum...
    For me Brasil Argentina and Chile were the most wellcoming countrys Venecuela was nice too but i hate Nigeria and to get the viss for Angola was a nightmare...

http://reisemotorrad.eu
  10. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't put a lot of weight on that map. Just cause you can make a web site and stuff a questionnaire in the back of the TV Guide doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Only thing to me that glaringly sticks out is Venezuela. Last time I was there was prolly 8 years ago during the Chavez/Bush head banging days(I'm American). I loved the country and people. Never once had any issues or hassles with the locals. I was working there most of the time and it was great. But I know the drill: Like anywhere respect their customs, follow their rules, be polite, treat people with respect and never get into political discussions "anywhere", Even on my own dime I'd go back to Venezuela in a heartbeat.
  11. mabuz

mabuz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here, the folks in the villages out in the hills and mountain areas of China were extremely friendly. Same with Mongolia...I spent most of my time in both places out of the bigger cities, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm guessing they picked "tourist" spots and ranked the entire country from "destination" cities. Places that are known to get lots of foreigners probably have a higher ratio of natives that want to take advantage of tourists, but still, I never had issues in Beijing or Ulaanbaatar while there either.
  12. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm my country is red... guess we hate foreigners here in Denmark... :lol3

Somalia looks friendly
  13. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Attitude of local population toward foreign visitors."

This is supposed to be the criteria. I'm not sure if I agree with all the rankings, but places like India are going to get dinged a lot of points because of touts and cheats that prey on tourists, as well as the local men grabbing asses if you're a woman.

Keep in mind that this is supposed to be for tourists on typical vacations, not some hippies bicycling the country for 10 months.

No idea if things like clear signs, targeted crime against tourists, double pricing policies, and visa rules count as "attitude of local population toward foreign visitors."
  14. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    This thread is most CSM thread to not yet get booted to CSM.

Who's moderating here? Anyone?
  15. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I was gonna take the wife & kids to Denmark for holiday, but glad I saw this map!​

Downside is, that now I´m really torn between Yemen, Somalia, or northern Mali..... :lol3
  16. bumper1871

bumper1871 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  17. Cara Pálida

Cara Pálida Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What???? Austria (Österreich) a welcoming land????
    The worst place I've ever been. People there sucks!
    Nie wieder!

And, Uruguai not havy blue??? What's on?

Abr.,
    CP!
  18. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Crazy. When I was in your city, I ran into a group of guys having a bachelor party for a guy in the Danish Navy. They adopted me into their party, and we went bar hopping by taxi, with the guy's best man insisting on buying all the beer. We even had heated political discussions, and the groom to be was the most conservative among them.

At no time did I feel unwelcome in that city, or any other in Denmark.
  19. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another 'survey' of whom, we don't know. Worthless information.
  20. advantagecp

advantagecp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

I spent 6 weeks in Southeast Asia this summer and found Vietnamese people to be much friendlier than Thais. You couldn't ask to find nicer people than the many I met in Vietnam.