Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    True, I too check that the Montana recalculates correctly :eek1 For that matter, I typically recheck all critical routes, tracks & waypoints after transferring them to the Montana or any GPS :deal
  2. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from 7 days down into Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Washington..great trip, good weather & great roads.
    Anyway I was just checking the Odometer, Trip mileages compared to the bike odometer & Trip reported (sorry had to take the LT this trip).

Bike Odometer - 3064
    Bike Trip - 3066.3
    Montana Odometer - 3049 (this was the subtraction of finish & start readings)
    Montana Trip - 3055.3

Now I would have thought that the Montana mileages would be the same! I was going to include the Trac mileage but remembered I started it from my friends place so it wouldn't be the same as i returned home a different route to the start of the Trac recording.

As to the Montana, only had one lock up & that was when I was playing with the Elevation view (had to remove batter) to clear. but as far as routing I had loaded routes from BC to the Montana & set the Montana to No Recalc if off route.
    But reading a few previous posts I think I'll try the trac & route loads next time...but the rain (just started) & I think snow are soon to arrive up here in the North :puke1.

[EDIT] Just did another test last-night in the car (it was raining & cold :-() I zeroed the trip data & started a new trac & on my return home I had the following readings
    Trip Log; 46.8klm
    Trac: 41.9
    That's 4.9klm difference or roughly 10%, that's worse than my GSA mileage odometer.
    I have searched Garmin but can't find anything regarding this issue & also can't log in to my account (forgot the password & have changed ISP) so I guess I'll have to call them when I get a chance.

Does anyone else get similar readings?
  3. scotty69

scotty69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the thing I would like to bring up. First, I bought a montana about a month ago. I mounted it on my bike using ram mount. While riding dirt roads it kept shutting off or showing just white screen. While on the phone with Garmin about the problem, they told me they would send me a new, thicker battery to solve the problem. For my troubles they sent me some screen protectors too. I installed the new battery which did not work. I put the screen saver material on the screen and it covered all but 3/16 of an inch on a short side.

After trying to make the battery work I finally called Garmin again and they had me send my Montana in and they sent me a new/not refurbished Montana. I have not tried it out on the bike yet. However, I did put on one of the screen savers from the same box as the first unit and the screen saver fit!

My question: Am I right to assume that the two units had two different scree sizes? Where they made at different factories? Why did the screen saver fit on one unit and not on another? Hmmmm.....?
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It's possible that you slid the screen protector under the edge of the screen border when you put the first protector on, meaning it ended up a little short at the far side. To see what I mean, take a piece of paper and slide it under the edge of the plastic case, between it and the screen itself.

I think that's a more likely explanation than there being two screen sizes.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Montana. New problem:cry

I've had my montana for about a week. It started up fine. I had no problem putting maps on it. I've used it a few times transferring routes from my macbook air. Today, I plug it in, it turns on like normal, then shuts down. Tried again. Same thing. And, again. Try a different cable. Same thing. If I unplug it, it starts and runs normal. Plugged in, it shuts down.

If I let it start up, then plug in the cable it shuts down automatically. It doesn't do it when taking power from the bike, or the wall.

Help!
  6. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have some custom Montana wallpapers they'd like to share? I have seen (and have) the ADV and Dirt wallpapers that were earlier on this thread.

I have a collection of several abstract wallpapers that I'll gladly pass on to anyone who wants them. They're not sophisticated or anything, but provide more options.

As we cannot attach files to posts, and I'm loath to put up two dozen images that not everyone wants to see, just PM me with an email address and I'll be happy to pass what I have along to you.
  7. levain

Oddometer:
    Alright, did a master Reset and it worked. Hopefully, this won;t become a common occurence. If there is anything else I should've tried first, please let me know. Looks like I need to reset the profiles. Routes/waypoints are still there..
  8. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a few wallpapers available here.
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    One other problem I had this morning.

I made a track in BC. Converted to a route and sent it to Montana. Worked fine. Opened it up, and started following the route. about 1/4 way through I think I rode into the Bermuda Triangle:lol3
    On one particular point of the route, the Montana map screen locked up. It didn't know where I was. It didn't count down. Time remained the same etc. etc. etc. I could go to different pages on the montana, and it behaved fine, but the map page was frozen. I pulled over. Turned it off/on, set it to route again and it would work fine until I hit the bermuda triangle. I did that 3 times, and finally out of frustration made a route on the unit itself, which I follwed for around 2 hrs. of uninterrupted GPS bliss:deal

Sooo, is that a Basecamp routing issue, or is it a Montana issue? Oh, and how long do I have before I decide its too buggy and send it back to gpscity:rofl
  10. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think, because the Montana handles routes created on the device itself without issue, the problem must be with BaseCrap.

:D
  11. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

Where are the ADV and Dirt wallpaper?....I missed that
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Others have had similar experiences with Routes created off-unit with the Montana locking up the navigation in-route. I believe, although I have not setup a test scenario, that the route you created had "shaping points" in it which the Montana does not support. They were most likely placed there when you put a via point down to close to an Intersection and the Via Point "snapped" to the intersection creating a "shaping point".

Best bet is to check your Routes in BaseCamp to make sure your Via Points and Waypoints are not right on an Intersection. Or, do as some do and turn your Routes into Direct Routes before sending to the Montana. Then on the Montana use an Along-road Activity for Routing and your Route will be calculated on the Montana.

Cheers,
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    ADV wallpaper: post #1931

Dirt wallpaper: post #1901
  14. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks I tried to the ADV one.....renamed it like is said but when I try and select it in the appearance settings I just get the default green background.....

What am I doing wrong???
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Compare what you have done to information here and let us know :huh
  16. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it should work.....named correctly, does show up in the list but just comes up as the green background....
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan. Can I get a translation of that? Can't find it on my unit.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Setup->Routing->Activity-> choose Automobile Dirving, Motorcycle Driving (I think we call it "riding") are the two "Along-road" routing Activities. The rest of the Activities are generally used for routing off of mapped roads or on Bike Paths or "trails".

Cheers,
  19. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured it out....you don't actually call it .jpg Those instructions are misleading.....
    WRONG
    adv_portrait_night.jpg

CORRECT
    adv_portrait_night
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are NOT misleading.

All images for wallpaper MUST be .jpg images.

Sounds to me like you might have file extensions turned off on your computer....