World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :hide
  2. kingdm54

kingdm54 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be back in 2014. And yes I am from and missing the good old USA.

Thanks for the insite. I tend to push so i will try hanging back and watching to see how the game unfolds.
  3. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are TD's that are better suited to be on the front line, the Hellcat is not one of them unless you know that you have very few enemies left, and they are not at full health, or you are in a position where you can see and hit them without them knowing where you are or being able to hit you. When I get the replay up, if you can play it, you should be able to see what I mean.

Edit: the above is true unless... you are part of a hellcat swarm, that can make a very effective blitzkrieg (I have been in one that was litterally only about 2 minutes from start to cap).
  4. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Hehehehe.....not that I would participate in anything like that.....no, not me......:lol3

Seriously, everything Big Bird has said above is right on. Use your speed to get out and scout, but not too far ahead of your heavies. With camo skill on your crew (and nets, and paint), the Hellcat is a very effective passive scout. It also has the advantage of speed and a good gun......when the opportunity presents itself, you can jump from your hide spot and really make a difference. The trick is to recognize those opportunities. How this tank is played is also very dependant on where it is in the tier stack. You can be a lot more agressive when you're top tier, not so much when you're bottom tier.
  5. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:

I love pulling out a win just after the doubles or triples start when some members of the team just give up from the get-go (due to XVM showing a 'sure' loss or something) and they die without having done much... it's sticks it to them that I salvaged a WIN and they're x2 or x3 that they thought they'd get in an upcoming game was wasted.

---------

I made a grave error at work yesterday. It was about 7 PM, and I had a late client I was working with. He and his brother work a graveyard shift, and had not had sleep all day, so one of them went to Starbucks and brought us all coffee back.

Now I drink the marginal coffee at work, but it doesn't really do much to me throughout the day, and have avoided Starbucks for well over two years now just because - while I love good coffee - I am not about to pay that kind of money for it at the moment (a bit of a financial hardship for a while there)... so that shit was like crack cocaine, and I found myself ordering Ostrich-leather shoes off of Amazon at 3 AM last night after only getting on Amazon to look at the dish scrub-brush reviews.

That was after playing my other WoT account for too long - when none of the FF's were on TS at 1 AM.

Strange night. :lol3
  6. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replay from the outstanding Hellcat game last night:

[​IMG]

Geek this one is at your request, my side of the difference two tanks can make in a battle with a third forgetting to load ammo.

[​IMG]

and somewhere I have the hellcat's from hell swarm, but i did not rename it and it will take a while to find if I had to.
  7. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Hellcat swarm on Highway.....on the opposing cap in about 3 minutes.

[​IMG]
  8. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    If you love good coffee, why are you going to Starbucks?:lol3

Sooooo......

Head up the SU line to the SU152 and beyond or do I go to the SU100M1? I don't see many SU100M1's in battles, but I do see plenty of 152's.
  9. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Where are you getting the camo bonus info from? I googled it and came up with http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/147120-083-tank-camouflage-tables/

which appears to tell me that the T30 has the worst camoflage benefit of any American TD, and worse than almost any other nations TD as well. Maybe I'm reading it wrong :dunno

I think 2 crew members are stll a % or 2 away from full camo skill.
  10. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Do you want a fast shooting, lower damage gun (SU100M1), or do you want to shoot slow and hit big (when you hit)(SU-152)?
  11. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    stellar round in the T30. 5000 damage. but a measly 1500xp?? :huh

I had the only 4 kills on the team at one point. Until I saw that I thought we were doing really well :lol3

oh, and to be fair, one of those was a 1 shot kill for 1400. ammo rack maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    I knew some coffee snob would pipe in about that. :rofl
    I'll maintain that it is good coffee, and that coffee snobs are just coffee snobs. Starbucks easily beats anything else we have in the entire area for taste... and I'm not one of those pansy coffee drinkers who puts sugar, creamer, milk or what ever in my coffee to hide the flavor of the beans.

But it's still a TD camo bonus on a tank with a really weak hull. Staying back and using the camo, while keeping the tank in the game, makes sense to me. I can't claim to have the greatest win ratio with it, but I think I'm more effective when I'm not getting shot at in it. I usually never do this because it makes it seem like a player is using stats to say they're better, but in this case, for solely the T30, I'm running a 57% win ratio with it (247 battles). All I can think, unless you have an overall better battle theory you care to explain and that I'd understand, is that for my own personal skill level I'm doing about as good as I can do with it for now. I'd love some insight into anything I could do better, so if that means placing the tank elsewhere and not using its camo, then I'm open to suggestions as to what works better.
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    What's the black jagged line down the left side of your graphic above? It goes across the detailed report button at the bottom left???

5000 damage got you 1500xp?
    I did 6000 yesterday and got 1347 :patch

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20772090&postcount=5808

:freaky
  14. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Are we done with the camo lessons? I was looking forward to more of them.

This discussion with vwboomer has me wondering if WG has ever thought about programming to alter camo values based on how much of the tank could be seen?

Let's say that I really am hull-mother-fucking-down in some awesome hidey-hole, and only the turret of my T30 could be seen at all, but even it (with the rest of me) is behind some really nicely placed bush that boosts my camo.

It would seem to me that the part that could be exposed - just my turret - would be as small as some much smaller tanks in the game. It is, therefore, unfair if the camo value of my entire tier 9 tank stays the same when over half of it is hidden by terrain, and the other third is low and behind a bush.

I bet they haven't addressed this issue at all, but it should be in the game.
  15. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    I do that once in a while with my picture editor - if I accidentally try to box in a section of the screen, but instead the pencil or paint brush is on, I'll mark it up with dots or lines.

Usually I catch it, but in his case I probably would have missed the black line as well.
  16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    ...as I wrote the next section I realized I wasn't making it any easier that the wiki.. so I decided my time could better be spent elsewhere.

:freaky
  17. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Oh I have no insight. Just my personal experience with getting picked off while sitting still waiting for something to cross my view port .It seems a vast number of the other TD's have 2-5 times the camo that the T30 does.

Plus the fact that there are plenty of urban maps where there is too much moving around, I decided to try something different.
    So far I can't say it's hurt me any.

I am going to try another combo or two.
  18. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    yeah I just us MSPaint. I haven't got another editor, and sometimes forget to select crop.

The problem with this game is there is so much going on as far as variables, bonuses, detractors etc for every little aspect of the game. Of course that's also one of the cool things about it. but I think the average jackass (me) gets sick of trying to find all the best ways to do stuff.

I wish when I started out I knew about transferring crews, researching but not buying tanks, etc. But I just wanted to play :deal
  19. frecks

frecks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be willing to bet they have thought of it, and agree that it would be great to have in the game. But their developers can probably earn them a lot more money by focusing on other things, so I doubt it's anywhere on the priority list.
  20. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Camo Tip of the Week!

When it comes to passive scouting, not many folk know there are actually two figures: View Range, and Spotting Range.

View Range is a function of you; your vehicle, your crew, your equipment, and your position relative to various vision-impairing obstacles. There is no hard cap for View Range. The maximum attainable view range is 600m in an M48 Patton with max crew, Bia, Recon, Situational Awareness, Vents, Binocs, and the Coca Cola consumable. A more realistic 510m view range is attained with a typical T10 vehicle with vents, max crew, and binocs.

However, a hard cap - 435m - does exist for for Spotting Range. This is a server-side limit, and primarily exists to prevent CPU overload by attempting to calculate spotting for all 30 tanks on the field (algorithm would run 870 times per spotting interval, each time searching terrain between each pair of vehicles, looking for cover). But, without cover, Spotting Range is the spotter's View Range, less the target's moving camo factor, which is easy to do in your head. A moving medium has a camo factor <0.10, a moving heavy's factor is <0.05, and a moving light is <0.20 (general rule of thumb).

So, spotting from our sample T10 heavy, and negating intervening obstacles, we will see:
    Heavy Spotting Range = MIN(View Range * (1 - 0.05), 435) = 435m
    Medium Spotting Range= MIN(View Range * (1 - 0.10), 435) = 435m
    Light Spotting Range= MIN(View Range * (1 - 0.20), 435) = 408m

Note that when the vehicle stops moving, it's camo factor will generally increase by a vehicle class (heavy becomes medium, medium becomes light, light remains squishy)

So there ya go. Spotting Range, and View Range. Two different things.

Edit: Oops, cap is 435m, not 465m.