Can we stop all the stereotyping?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by SkiFastBadly, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stereotypes exist because they work.

1911fan
  2. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a cheap KLR rider, so I'm not really helping your argument against that stereotype. My "dry bag" luggage came from wally world on sale I think and it doesn't even come close to matching the bike (blue on a red/black bike). It does work marginally better than a free milk crate for keeping stuff dry though, so I guess it was worth the $20 since I couldn't make it myself.
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog
  4. advantagecp

advantagecp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a KLR and I am a cheap bastard. Coincidence?
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I think NOT ^^^

:D
  6. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:

From the crazy expensive stools on the Onassis yacht, right?

Couple of other things: if you use your ADV style bike as daily transportation, it will end up in non-adv locations from time to time.

Met a lot of KLR riders. Without fail, the cheapest guys I've met on two wheels. Not saying this just to be funny, it really is amazingly consistent.
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    You're a KLR nonconformist aren't you? $20 :yikes You should have put your stuff in a black bin liner in your milk crate. Still, I think there's a way you can get away with it - If anyone asks just say you found the bag by the side of the road, or better still, in a dumpster. ...Yeah, that will work!

Full disclosure: I don't own a KLR, but I am a cheap (frugal) bastidge, which is ok as I ride an older BMW. And yes, to complete the stereotype I ride ATGATT, including a "safety-green" jacket.
  8. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:
    Us Suzuki guys have it easy apparently. Haven't heard any stereotypes about drz400/dr650 owners. Personally I ride a drz every day and fall somewhere between the KLR riders, Harley riders, squids, and teenage hooligans on dirtbikes... Probably leaning closer towards KLR riders though due to high levels of cheapness :D No starbux around here so don't fit in with the ducati/beemer guys (there aren't really any, due to low number of starbux in vicinity)
  9. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    I've a Moto'd DR800. With bags and a topbox. Where do I fit in? Do I care? It's just good natured banter.

If you can't stand the heat....................... go to Costa Coffee.
  10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I yanked people's chains 3-4 years back by doing an article on ADV on attaching a milk crate to a BMW. Now is that cosmopolitan or what?

[​IMG]

:rofl:lol3:rofl

--Bill
  11. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I have a KLR and a BMW and have actually never been to a Starbuck's. I have multiple-personality disorder, and enjoy sunsets and long walks on the beach with my other persona.

I'm cheap but I have color-matched luggage: mud color.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    How do you "drive" a KLR?

Jim :brow
  13. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    Leave the training wheels on?
  14. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill,

You are STYLIN' man......stylin'

Where else are you gonna' put half a dozen live lobsters to carry them home, huh?
  15. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    A little earlier today, as I was waiting for my wife to emerge from a store in our little town, I sat on a bench on Main Street and watched 7, probably otherwise normal to boring, middle-aged men ride into town on the HDs in full pirate costumes. I couldn't help but chuckle as they parked their obnoxiously loud bikes on Main and looked around to see who all was impressed.

Only moments ago, as I picked up my iPad to do a quick email check and happened to find this thread, I was gearing up in full Whale Foreskin Gear to ride my old R100GS just 30 miles north, over one dirt pass, planning to make a stop at the local, not Starbucks, coffee shop. Most of my rides have a coffee shop somewhere in the destination. In fact, I'm not sure it can be called a ride without a good Americano.

So to answer the original question - NO!
  16. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Generalizations are true because they are public-consciousness defined representation of an observed pattern. Just because there are outliers to each stereotype doesn't invalidate the pattern; it just means the outliers should not be considered for the equation.

Also Starbucks coffee is terrible - they burn it all the time so it tastes bitter and serve black coffee as if it were made to be masked by milk and sugar. But maybe that's just my generalization after having been served bad coffee every time I've gone there :1drink
  17. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    This dude cast the mold for the reflective stereotype. Enter the Mini-Moo Dork Monster KLR Extreme Edition.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    How much do you want go bet that that isn't a regular coffee? LatteCrapMachiattecino please.
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    That's an airhead. Airhead owners are notoriously frugal and a milk crate, while not quite fitting the mold, is not too far off. They are like KLR owners with more facial hair (grey-beards, literally or figuratively).

Disclosure - I own an airhead with a "real" top box - but in my defence, I bought it at a recycle center for one pound. Also I do not have a beard but most of the other airhead owners I've met do.
  20. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur

Oddometer:
    I do not have a beard!
    [​IMG]